Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
canon_400d_comparison.jpg

Quick comparison table to show the major difference in specs between the 350D / 400D / 30D.

Note it doesnt touch on fundamental differences like the lack of mini-LCD, or the EOS Integrated Cleaning System (Dust removal)

amongst many other things....

Canon? Quite possible....

It does seem a very good camera...especially if it's aimed at the 350 market.

I cant help thinking this should be a 350D replacement - with the same features incorporated into the 30D + the extras like 2 x LCDs, magnesium alloy body, and spot-metering being what the 30D should have been.

The 400D looks great but I cant help wondering what Canon are up to with the overlap and underlap between the 30D and 400D.

Clearly the 30D is going to be updated early next year.
Canon have been developing DIGIC III and new sensors and they probably were not ready in time for the 30D launch, so it was only a minor upgrade (20Dn).

I'm glad i got the 350D last month instead of waiting for Canons new baby.

One thing i love about my 350D is the LCD screen, its great to have a low power display instead of using the cLCD to display the info (like the 400D). Am i right in saying that the new 400D only has the cLCD to show the info?
Do you think the battery would last longer in the 350D due to having the cLCD instead of the mono LCD?

I wish i got the 30D though :shake: :)

cLCD = Colour LCD :)

one would assume the LCD on the 400D shows both expoure details etc AND image view/menu lists as normal. curious why they went this route...mind you now all their cameras use the 2.5" lcd it cuts production costs - as a business move this makes sense.

Size and space I assume.

They need to keep the camera small to A: Target the right market, ie the enthusiasts who don't want to lug around big 1d's, and those that use the 400 as a second body....and B: Keep it out of the 30D market.

And to get the 2.5" screen, something has to give....

Shame it's still the same size. There must have been enough sales to offset all the times I've heard people say "too small, etc etc"

On a serious note though, all cameras are constantly on an uprgrade path, this is the natural progression for the 350d as canons technology filters down to the entry level stuff. It's the same with the Nikon D80 and the D200. There isn't a whole lot between them now save for weather sealing, 4channel rgb output sensor and frame rate. Next thing will probably be and upgraded d200 with the cmos sensor out of the d2x.

Unless manufacturers uprgrade the whole range at a time there will always be a point when models specs will are closer together. Especially as it makes economic sense to upgrade your highest volume seling line first to keep the money coming in.

oooooh... looks good to me. But I won't be upgrading my 350D any time soon.

Have shot them self in the foot at a glance, but you have to take into account the little things. Two LCDs, up to 3200iso in 1/3rd increase @ low noise, size and 5fps. These are all reasons to buy the 20D/30D over the 400D and are all things that make the 20D/30D pro cameras and the 350D/400D just off the mark.

Back