canon 400 2.8 is - repair anyone had?

At this point just gonna have to put my trust in the company canon reccomended in wembley

Toni ,do you mind me asking whom canon recomend please.
Just been on eBay seeing what's being sold another 600mm f4 I.s mk i on there for the bargain price of £5,450.00.
The parts for that are going to be a struggle as well I think we as photographers need to be very careful what we buy in the future.

I'm now essentially right back where I started Rich,that worries me. this concern about something going wrong is essentailly why I searched so hard for the fixer. An unsupported by canon big white is all but a ticking time bomb. I noted your move earlier in the thread mate,the fact you have had two switch assemblies fail on the same lens I use makes me even more fearsome. The thing is Rich the sums of money for a mark ii super tele are are so huge it's such a lot to find, that many many are going to struggle to find those sums. I think canon have basic got all of us by the short and curlies, the biggest issue is gong to be for many once one has had a taste going eslewhere to a different product is probably not going to cut it.

These tools are amazing they are relied on. the best of anything is always silly expensive,It's just finding a boffin out there who is clever enough and genuine enough to keep them going. But as it stands now I think you made a wise move !! (hmm the actual lens you chose appeals personally on a huge level ,but i might speak elsewhere on that with you if I may I don't want to derail tonis thread.;)) if I ain't already:oops: :$

Guys beyond a fixer the note about spares being scarce.....................I read somewhere (true false you'll correct me) that the delays on getting the 400DO is II to new owners (initially) was because the lens was basically being made by a hand ful (I mean, 4 or 8, something silly ) canon engineer's.

Although we all know of these lenses,if only a handful of guys on the planet can make the blummin thing,then they isn't going to be a monster pool of spares being made or guys that can fix sadly:(

yet the prices hold for the first is which is amazing all things considered

they've got us frankly hook line and sinker
all the luck toni

stu

Toni ,do you mind me asking whom canon recomend please.

I'm now essentially right back where I started Rich,that worries me. this concern about something going wrong is essentailly why I searched so hard for the fixer. An unsupported by canon big white is all but a ticking time bomb. I noted your move earlier in the thread mate,the fact you have had two switch assemblies fail on the same lens I use makes me even more fearsome. The thing is Rich the sums of money for a mark ii super tele are are so huge it's such a lot to find, that many many are going to struggle to find those sums. I think canon have basic got all of us by the short and curlies, the biggest issue is gong to be for many once one has had a taste going eslewhere to a different product is probably not going to cut it.

These tools are amazing they are relied on. the best of anything is always silly expensive,It's just finding a boffin out there who is clever enough and genuine enough to keep them going. But as it stands now I think you made a wise move !! (hmm the actual lens you chose appeals personally on a huge level ,but i might speak elsewhere on that with you if I may I don't want to derail tonis thread.;)) if I ain't already:oops: :$

Guys beyond a fixer the note about spares being scarce.....................I read somewhere (true false you'll correct me) that the delays on getting the 400DO is II to new owners (initially) was because the lens was basically being made by a hand ful (I mean, 4 or 8, something silly ) canon engineer's.

Although we all know of these lenses,if only a handful of guys on the planet can make the blummin thing,then they isn't going to be a monster pool of spares being made or guys that can fix sadly:(

yet the prices hold for the first is which is amazing all things considered

they've got us frankly hook line and sinker
all the luck toni

stu

Feel free any time to pm me mate even come over and try it. It's a bit of a revelation I even bit the bullet and bought a secondhand 7d mkii off a mate he let me have it for a week to try it's definitely a good one I am well impressed.
Rich

POST #37 guys

this is who canon reccomended i go to but when i contacted them they seemed non commital about times.. ie couldnt even say when they would look at it.. just send and hope for best it seems

euro hightech in wembley/london

Hi Mate
Wondered if you had any luck finding someone

I've managed to get in touch with The Lens Doctor. He is servicing my Canon 200mm 1.8 at the moment. I will update you when I get it back.

I've managed to get in touch with The Lens Doctor. He is servicing my Canon 200mm 1.8 at the moment. I will update you when I get it back.

Nearly next yr and he still has it ?

My 400mm lens
Since I posted in November 15th I ahve photogrpahed just over 30 footblal matches.. Its errored a couple of times in the first 4 or 5 then it's only errored once in the last 25 games so its very hard for me to send it away for what could be an awkwardly long (and busy) time when its all but working OK..

OK so problems don't fix themselves... but its working OK at the moment.. I know its gonna go with a vengence at some point but for now.. plodding along ..

PS If and when i do need it seeing to.. probably going to try this guy first as been highly reccomended.. http://www.hitechcamerarepairs.co.uk

Last edited:
Yep...apparently he had 5 other 200mm 1.8, mine at the back of the queue...I await with interest...

OMG ..Sorry I was being sarcastic.. thought you had it back and forgot to post... good grief thats not good :( :(

Cheers Stu, its an expensive doorstop otherwise...

I know and although i've never used one those old 200 have a fabulous rep really do hope it works out. Joe

Joe I've been a bit lucky got myself upgraded dream stuff really,;) Nonetheless I really do wish you guys the best,it's a horrible position to be in,these tools are so good ,but getting the old toys fixed seems to be no easy thing. Despite my previous with LD I really do hope things pan out Joe. This thread influnecd me to make a choice a bit sooner than I was going to.I'm blessed to be able to do that I know months back it would have been impossible for me to upgrade even though I was grafting me butt off to that end.

So I've been very fortunate and I know it,couldn't help but pop back here and wish toni and yourself some luck

These older tools still perform wonderfully they are a real asset for folks like me that haven't got pots of dollar,it's such a shame there is this difficultly getting something fixed quickly if at all,sadly. For me it all revolves around the parts,these lenses simply seem to outlast the production run of parts made while the lens was supported.

I guess the folks whom are now unsupported just stepped up massively. it's a worry mate, great tools but if they can#t be fixed......as you say......... a lot of doorstops:(

so yeah mate, genuine wishes of luck:)

stu

Yeah Stu, the Beast is an outstanding lens. Heavy but the results are amazing. Worth repairing...hopefully. It had an intermittent failure to focus. It took the chap a week to replicate the fault. So once he experienced the fault and isolated it he said its fully repairable. £450. Worth it, if it works. Here's to 2018...

Well, finally got my beast back, (200mm 1.8). All seems great atm. The fault was an intermittent one so I'll get using it and report back. So far so good. Cost was £459 for the repair and service and £80 for a full replacement of seals.

Well, finally got my beast back, (200mm 1.8). All seems great atm. The fault was an intermittent one so I'll get using it and report back. So far so good. Cost was £459 for the repair and service and £80 for a full replacement of seals.

So how long was it total.. from sending to getting back ?

HOPE ITS SORTED and alls well :)

So how long was it total.. from sending to getting back ?

HOPE ITS SORTED and alls well :)
I think I sent it off middle of November. But I didn't specify a date I needed it back and I knew he had a back log of lenses. I also contacted a couple of people who previously had had a repair done and they were very happy with his work. He also will be servicing the 600mm is as well.

As for the lens, it's working perfectly at the moment [emoji2] [emoji106] ...

This is a depressing read. I'm in the market for a 400mm 2.8, but not sure I can drop £3k on a lens that may be unrepairable.

It has opened my eyes to what CPS mean when referring to 'no longer supported for membership,' I used to think it meant you just wouldn't get the CPS turnaround times, but they would still repair the item, given that they won't even look at Kipax's lens, I'm disappointed for him and other Canon users.

I know people are defending Canon with the service length of these items, but some of these lenses cost more than my car new and my car is 15 years old and still repairable and worth less than a second hand 400mm 2.8!

May have to hold off and go for the Mk II, which is a shame as Park had one for £6.5k which has now sold.

This is a depressing read. I'm in the market for a 400mm 2.8, but not sure I can drop £3k on a lens that may be unrepairable.

It has opened my eyes to what CPS mean when referring to 'no longer supported for membership,' I used to think it meant you just wouldn't get the CPS turnaround times, but they would still repair the item, given that they won't even look at Kipax's lens, I'm disappointed for him and other Canon users.

I know people are defending Canon with the service length of these items, but some of these lenses cost more than my car new and my car is 15 years old and still repairable and worth less than a second hand 400mm 2.8!

May have to hold off and go for the Mk II, which is a shame as Park had one for £6.5k which has now sold.
I agree with you (not that I'm ever going to be in the market for lenses of these caliber).
I'm not even going to suggest it's only Canon, but the investment put into these lenses by photographers (some of whom are not pro photographers, but very keen enthusiasts) is very large and the fact that they become unserviceable is a real let down by the manufacturers.

So what happens if one contacts Sendean camera repairs or the other place in London (it shall remain nameless) who do /did repair most of the fleet street and fasion industry togs cameras? Do they say they are unable to repair the canon 400 mm f2.8?

http://www.sendeancameras.co.uk/

FINALLY !!

Bought a canon 300 2.8L and a 1.4tc all tested and works great... Having spoken to certain companies who seem less than enthusiastic to even look at the 400 I have decided to go witht he lens doctor in scotland (not great communication wise can wait or not get a reply but when you do he seems confident and helpful).. just booked it in for next thursday.. road trip.. day out for me and the missues aftre dropping lens off..

I am utterly convinced theres nothign wrong witht he AF as it works perfect.. but when the lens is being moved about a lot if can stop working and requires turning on/off to work again. I think theres something loose inside as canon scrrews are natorious for not staying tight..

But thats just my guess.. Now I ahve a backup I can let the lens go for however long its needed to to be fixed :)

So here I am in Scotland ;just outside Glasgow.. just dropped off my 400 lens with the "lensdoctor" and what a nice fella he is and seems confident of fixing although he has warned it will be a few weeks which I kinda knew.... but decent guy had a nice chat and I will go home and wait patiently http://www.thelensdoctor.co.uk/

So here I am in Scotland ;just outside Glasgow.. just dropped off my 400 lens with the "lensdoctor" and what a nice fella he is and seems confident of fixing although he has warned it will be a few weeks which I kinda knew.... but decent guy had a nice chat and I will go home and wait patiently http://www.thelensdoctor.co.uk/

"nice fella he is" famous last words.

He will be a nice fella when you have your lens back and working, hopefully withn 3 months.:eek:

You don't need a 400mm f2.8 anymore. A 300 mm f2.8 with a 1.4 converter will do now you are in league one with all the good floodlights and nice food.:whistle:

"nice fella he is" famous last words.

He will be a nice fella when you have your lens back and working, hopefully withn 3 months.:eek:

You don't need a 400mm f2.8 anymore. A 300 mm f2.8 with a 1.4 converter will do now you are in league one with all the good floodlights and nice food.:whistle:

ha! league football accounts for about 10% of my workload... BUT saying that.. have been using the 300 from halfway line for grass roots stuff and its been fantastic....

FINALLY !!

Bought a canon 300 2.8L and a 1.4tc all tested and works great... Having spoken to certain companies who seem less than enthusiastic to even look at the 400 I have decided to go witht he lens doctor in scotland (not great communication wise can wait or not get a reply but when you do he seems confident and helpful).. just booked it in for next thursday.. road trip.. day out for me and the missues aftre dropping lens off..

I am utterly convinced theres nothign wrong witht he AF as it works perfect.. but when the lens is being moved about a lot if can stop working and requires turning on/off to work again. I think theres something loose inside as canon scrrews are natorious for not staying tight..

But thats just my guess.. Now I ahve a backup I can let the lens go for however long its needed to to be fixed :)
Lens Doctor is excellent...the repair he did on my 200mm 1.8 was great.

Just had my estimate.. £692 ... Amazingly i had already warned my missus it would probably be around 700 quid so.. thats spooky..

Just had my estimate.. £692 ... Amazingly i had already warned my missus it would probably be around 700 quid so.. thats spooky..
Including VAT? :)

Just come across the old post. I was getting the Lens Doctor to fix my 200mm 1.8. Well to finish the story off. He had it for months and I got it back. IT WASN'T FIXED.

Well we had lock down and I left it too late to claim anything back of the £400+ i paid for repair.

Fast forward to December 2022 and I had a problem with a Canon adapter getting stuck and basically had it removed under warranty. The company I used was AJ Johnstone in Scotland recommended by the company I bought the adapter off. So I rang them about my now no longer working ef 200mm 1.8. They told me they have an experienced ex Canon technician who worked a lot on the Beast. So I sent it in my lens.

Well just like The Lens Doctor said he'd done, AJ Johnstone said they would strip it down fully and assess.

So what AJJ found was the electrical points were dry and so they resoldered all points, recalibrated the lens. FANTASTIC JOB DONE!

I have since had the lens assessed by Chris Frost on YouTube.

View: https://youtu.be/Laz9XU2f8ic

All good now. Well done A J Johnstone.

Last edited:
Just come across the old post. I was getting the Lens Doctor to fix my 200mm 1.8. Well to finish the story off. He had it for months and I got it back. IT WASN'T FIXED.

Well we had lock down and I left it too late to claim anything back of the £400+ i paid for repair.

Fast forward to December 2022 and I had a problem with a Canon adapter getting stuck and basically had it removed under warranty. The company I used was AJ Johnstone in Scotland recommended by the company I bought the adapter off. So I rang them about my now no longer working ef 200mm 1.8. They told me they have an experienced ex Canon technician who worked a lot on the Beast. So I sent it in my lens.

Well just like The Lens Doctor said he'd done, AJ Johnstone said they would strip it down fully and assess.

So what AJJ found was the electrical points were dry and so they resoldered all points, recalibrated the lens. FANTASTIC JOB DONE!

I have since had the lens assessed by Chris Frost on YouTube.

View: https://youtu.be/Laz9XU2f8ic

All good now. Well done A J Johnstone.

I had a horible experience with the lens doctor and certainly wouldnt reccomend... pretty sure he ripped me off :( .. what was the turnaround time for AJ Johnstone ?

Back