canon 400mm 2.8

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi looking at acquiring myself a 400mm 2.8 in the next year, still saving the pennies for it. Seen a lot of nice examples of the NON IS version going for affordable prices. Has anyone, used the IS and NON IS version, is there a huge difference?, as the IS version is over double the price.
I would assume the IS is important on what I imagine is a very heavy lens?

Any advice?

You're not realistically be handholding any of these lenses, so for me, the IS would be a minor point as long as you have good support and technique.

The main problem will be getting replacement parts if anything breaks on them, especially the older lens.

I think (could be wrong) that there were 2 non-is lenses. I remember having the first version and being a little disappointed with it, whereas the following versions were all sharp as a tack

Mike

I have no idea as I would not spend that sort of money unless I was earning my living with it and then I would think twice.
Its not really what anyone else thinks you are going to be buying it and using it your best bet is to hire one and see which suits.
Have a look here http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk , the other thing to bear in mind is if you get an old version will Canon still service it ?
If they won't and it breaks you could end up with a very expensive door stop.

Last edited:
Is there a huge difference?

non-IS Mk I lens: 6.45 kg
non-IS Mk II lens: 5.91 kg
IS Mk I lens: 5.37 kg
IS Mk II lens: 3.85 kg
IS Mk III lens: 2.84 kg

Serviceability has to be a concern at this age - a large number of these lenses cannot be repaired at this age... That said, the best advice I can give is mentioned in your first reply - good support and good technique. The latter will come with experience - I have a 400 2.8 (Nikon) it's a monster - but having invested in a wimberly gimbal head and gitzo tripod - it transformed the quality of the output I was able to achieve.

I used a Canon non IS 400 2.8 for several years for spots photography (premier league, international rugby etc). It’s built like a tank. Heavy. Image quality is astounding. Focusing is lightning quick. The only problem I had was that very occasionally when it wound to infinity focus, it could get a bit “stuck” but a quick twiddle of the focus ring sorted it out. This happened 3 times during my multiple years of ownership.

I bought mine from a dealer (Aperture in London) and it came with a 6-month warranty, so I suggest that’s a good way to go.

Plus, if you are shooting sport, shutter speed is vital to freeze the action and you don’t tend to use IS anyway. So depends what you want to use it for. Stick it on a monopod and you’ll be fine.

Last edited:
Back