Canon 450D

If they make the camera bigger which they might for room of a 3 inch screen then proberly not Canon want your money so the 450D might end up with a new grip who knows we have to wait and see on the 24th.

lucky I just bought a hardly used 400d for £340 :) Im too intrested what the 450d will include I just hope lenses stay the same would suck If I couldn't buy the latest ones

Just come back in from talking to the Manager of our London Camera Exchange. I asked him about the 450D etc and his buyer has been booked to go on the buyers launch on the 24 January!!!!:clap: He thinks the public launch will be very soon afterwards. Im going to wait for a while to see what happens to the price of the 400D before buying. They think the 450D will be introduced at £500 - £550, but there is no confirmation yet. Oh Poo, it means I have to wait another 2 weeks before deciding and getting my hands on a DSLR for the very first time :bang:

Just spoke with a friend who has a contact in retail and I might be able to get a 10% discount on the 400D at present price. If that is the case, then I might get one sooner than I think. A saving of £43 will be enough to convince me to get one. Guess I will just have to wait and see :bonk:

OK, I'm really looking forward to seeing what the 450D will actually be like. I love my 400D but I really need the live view so, as long as the 450D has that, it's an almost dead cert I will be buying one asap.

I doubt the 450D will have live view. Canon are gonna make you pay more for it, why would they put it in the 450D? It's the cheapest camera they make, it's branded in the amatur range. I don't think live view is an amsing feature anyway. It's quite handy if you have your camera high on a tripod, but using it outside isn't great becuase if it's bright you can't see the screen properly anyway.

There's not going to be a big difference between the 400D and 450D. They are just upgrading it becuase the life cycle for the camera is over. As far as i'm concerned, there's no need to upgrade it at this point.

The 450D is going to target two types of people:

1) Those who are buying a DSLR for the first time.
2) Those upgrading from a 350D or lower. Not the 400D, I think most people will (or should anyway) go up to a 40D, the feature difference between the 400 and 450 just won't be big enough for people to spend over £450 on a new body.

I doubt the 450D will have live view. Canon are gonna make you pay more for it, why would they put it in the 450D? It's the cheapest camera they make, it's branded in the amatur range. I don't think live view is an amsing feature anyway. It's quite handy if you have your camera high on a tripod, but using it outside isn't great becuase if it's bright you can't see the screen properly anyway.

There's not going to be a big difference between the 400D and 450D. They are just upgrading it becuase the life cycle for the camera is over. As far as i'm concerned, there's no need to upgrade it at this point.

2) Those upgrading from a 350D or lower. Not the 400D, I think most people will (or should anyway) go up to a 40D, the feature difference between the 400 and 450 just won't be big enough for people to spend over £450 on a new body.

Exactly what I was going to say.

I would suggest that, other than the resolution, why would anybody with a 350 "upgrade" to yet another entry level model ? Once proficient with the 350 I would expect my next body to be either a 40D, or even perhaps higher.

I have yet to grasp all the commands of the 350, but my photography is getting back to where it was 20 years ago, before I dropped out of the hobby.

However, I whole heartedly agree that at this point in time there is no need for yet another entry level machine. The 400D is more than adequate for any newcomer, and in fact, I would like to see them produce something even lower cost, with less features, so that even more people have the opportunity to take up the hobby too.

Just my opinion of course ;)

I would have thought the 450D will have some nice goodies above the 400D, otherwise why bother producing it? I'm still living in hope it will have live view.

(We now seem to have two 450D threads.......)

Of course the features flow down the range! This is how pretty much everything ever sold has worked...

The best tech turns up on the high end first then flows down...

Looking at how the Canon feature list has moved along I can't see 12mp being a feature, but can see live view and some more AF points making it, together with a larger screen.

But as someone else said further up, none of this will stop you taking cracking photos with your current gear - all of Canon's DSLR's are still capable of the magic "wow factor" so unless you are either not bought into it or a fashion victim, don't worry! Wait till there is a feature on a new body you honestly believe will make a difference to what you shoot, then upgrade!

No I don't think they will put any more AF points in it. 9 is perfectly sufficient for a amatur grade camera.

Infact all cameras up to the 1D have 9 point AF systems. They didn't change it with the 40D so I don't think they will with the 450. The new 5D will probably have more tho.

I'm happy with the nine in the 40D. I can see why some Nikon or Olly people may be cheesed off with a paltry 3.

:LOL:
D70 = 5
D80 = 11
D200 = 11
D300 = 51
D3 = 51

Nikon myth #4388...busted

:cautious:
51 = far too many so they get discarded,
11 x 2 cameras and 5 x one = 27 divide between the cameras and average is 9 which means Nikon is no better than the Canon (female logic strikes again) :LOL:

I'd be very surprised if it doesn't have live view, I'm sure they will use the DIGIC 3 chipset which enables live view so there is no reason not to have it. Several other consumer grade cameras have it (Look at the Olympus range) and Canon want to appeal to the people just taking the plunge into the SLR market who compare cameras by ticking off features on a list, hence it will have an IS lens to stop people putting Sony and Olympus ahead of it for having IS on the body. 12mp is a iferent argument allthough it would be a headline grabber which is what the market is about alot of people will by on pure hype.

I'd be very surprised if it doesn't have live view, I'm sure they will use the DIGIC 3 chipset which enables live view so there is no reason not to have it. Several other consumer grade cameras have it (Look at the Olympus range) and Canon want to appeal to the people just taking the plunge into the SLR market who compare cameras by ticking off features on a list, hence it will have an IS lens to stop people putting Sony and Olympus ahead of it for having IS on the body. 12mp is a iferent argument allthough it would be a headline grabber which is what the market is about alot of people will by on pure hype.

Surely by doing all that wouldn't it be better than if not equal to the 40D, ok the body will be made of different matterials, but everything else would be similar if not better :shrug:

I'd be very surprised if it doesn't have live view, I'm sure they will use the DIGIC 3 chipset which enables live view so there is no reason not to have it.

No because live view is actually a specific feature for a specific purpose. It's not just 'use it instead of the viewfinder' like in any compact P&S.

It dosen't AF by itsef, you have to tell it to, by holding down the AF-ON button.

It's also sensitive to heat, so no taking photos of very bright scenes. I can just imagine that being an annoyance to an amatur who just bought the camera to take photos of his/her family and friends.

Live view is best used when you have the camera high up on a tripod, in non-bright situations, not just for use the whole time becuase you don't like looking through the viewfinder.

The whole point is that you want the 400D to do EVERYTHING itself becuase alot of the kinds of people who buy the camera don't know anything about photography, they don't want to have to fiddle around with AF buttons.

If anyone's actually USED live view, you will notice that you can't even use it in full auto, or any of the 'idiot modes' you would find on the 400D or 40D. Most 400D owners just use these modes and will never (or very rarely) use the program modes.

Plus the AF-ON button for AF in liveview needs to be enabled via the custom functions - im sure alot of 400D users don't use any of them.

You have to remember who the xxxD seris is marketed towards - people buying their first DSLR and people looking to get into photography. The reason it has the program and manual modes is becuase when people have got the basics of how the camera takes photos in full auto, they can progress and start to do things themsevs instead of the camera doing it all for them.

I can't see any point in Live View for the "High End" cameras, it will not give you enough detail to be of any use. Where it comes into it's own is for people moving up from P&S :-

"you could see through the LCD on my zillion megapixel compact so this DSLR should be able to do it"

It wont help take better pictures but it will help the Marketing & Advertising depts :)

I can't see any point in Live View for the "High End" cameras, it will not give you enough detail to be of any use. Where it comes into it's own is for people moving up from P&S

There are many professional photographers would need liveview on high end cameras (me, for one!) The liveview would be the only reason I would upgrade from my 400D. If it doesn't have it, then I will get the 40D (although that is a bit too heavy for my needs).

D40 = 3
D40X = 3

Nikon myth #4388... slightly less busted than joxby makes out.

So you compare a D40/X with a 40D....cool...:D

Yes, I think they should sort out the Liveview mode, either go the whole hog and do it properly like...you know who, or just do away with it.
Will they sell more with the "Liveview" tag as it is, on a consumer model...absolutely, cos sales is what its all about in the end.

Does anyone have any news on when the 450D hits the streets, and the best place to buy one please?

My Thoughts ...
Have read everything going on Canon camera's lately and spoken to camera club members with the 40 and then we went to the Focus expo at the NEC 26th February. My girlfriend and I spent ages going round the Canon stands trying all the camera's/lenses. The 450 was there, its very similar to the 350/400 maybe slightly bigger case. Having played with it and then gone onto the 40 I think the 40 feels more comfortable and solid. If I hadn't had the money (we have just bought 5D's, and about to sell our 350 & 400) I would have bought the 40 rather than the 450.

Mike

(5D's so we can try FF)

Of course the 40 should be like that in comparison... it still sits above the 450 in the Canon range...

AP 8th March - with Canon 450D "review". Park Cameras advert - 450D Body SRP £599.99 - just below 40D Body £599.99 after cashback - 450D or 40D, that is the question :bonk:

AP 8th March - with Canon 450D "review". Park Cameras advert - 450D Body SRP £599.99 - just below 40D Body £599.99 after cashback - 450D or 40D, that is the question :bonk:

unless size is a consern 40d :)

Back