mmcp42

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
ok I now have two 580EX II that I want to mount on lighting stands
all the stands seem to have 1/4" spigots
what adaptor to I get to mount the flash on the stand? :shrug:

If that's not the size in the bottom of the foot, what is?

I know that's right for the mk 1

If that's not the size in the bottom of the foot, what is?

I know that's right for the mk 1

not sure I follow you
the flashgun "expects" to sit on top of the camera
it doesn't have a 1/4" hole in its bottom

Did you not get a little plastic stand in the pouch, inside the case?

It has a shoe on the top and the 1/4 hole on the bottom. :)

The actual stand that the 580EX II comes with has a 1/4 hole under it.

Did you not get a little plastic stand in the pouch, inside the case?

It has a shoe on the top and the 1/4 hole on the bottom. :)

:bang: might have done - who's asking? :bang:

The other way is just as easy........ :D

images

I use this product. In fact I have two of them. Either shoot through umbrellas or reflected. Comes with adaptor for use on a normal tripod (which will be less likely to blow over outdoors.

Didn't know the coldshoe version that was available in the UK, they only had the adapter on it's own before (y)

Although the OP is obviously Canon, I thought it might be worth posting this as it highlights problems I found with this popular Ebay bought 'this bracket fits all flashes' design. With my SB600 mounted the sprung contact pins actually touched the aluminium bracket :eek: which although painted didn't sound like a good idea! So I milled away about 1.5mm of the aluminium to ensure good clearance and no risk of a short circuit. The next problem is one only related to Nikon's locking system that does not use a wind-down locking nut/wheel... I found that with the flash slid into place (it can only push onto the fitting until the vertical section of the foot is up against the bracket) it felt rather unsafe and could easily fall back out of the mount. I filed two slots, as seen below, enabling the flash to be clamped right in the centre of the mount where the clamping screw of the mount is and the slots effectively trap the flash from sliding forwards or backwards out of the mount. So, a fair bit of faffing about, but at least I'm now 100% happier using it and happy to move the light stand around with the flash securely mounted on top. Makes me wish I'd looked harder for a better designed bracket at the start, but you live and learn ;)

DSC_4847.jpg

what adaptor to I get to mount the flash on the stand? :shrug:
I've got a pair of these and they're brilliant.

The only downside is that you can't lock the 580EX II down completely, but a half-turn of the mechanism is enough to secure them to the mount.

thanks everyone for the feedback
so many choices
and a few hours ago I was completely stumped
love this place :love:

Back