Canon 5D for macro use ?

Edit My Images
No
I wondered what the forum members thought about using a Canon 5D teamed with a Sigma 150mm DG macro lens. Sorry if its a daft question :thinking:

regards brian.

Erm ... What will you be shooting? Butterflies, spiders and other flighty stuff will be easier to catch with the 150mm. However if you are intending to use this indoors for static subjects then it's a lot harder.

Plants and insects mainly HR.

Then I'd say you are onto a winner, the extra reach will allow you to achieve 1:1 without getting too close. I did find the 180mm useful for shooting from a distance allowing me to get shots without trampling over neighbouring plants etc.

The 5D works fine with the Sigma 150. If you are into getting as much magnification as possible then you'd do better with a crop camera which will have a higher pixel density.

One advantage of the big viewfinder on the 5D is manual focussing is a little easier and you will be using manual focus most of the time for macro.

I find the 5D isn't a body to use for high magnification shots like the ones I take with the MP-E65 but it's absolutely perfect when mated with my 180L for closeups of larger subjects....bees, butterflies and flower studies.
It provides a fantastic bokeh, isloation and tones...far better than the 30D's.

To sum up....sharp technical macro work with a crop sensor but creative closeup shots with the 5D and 180L

Bob

Back