canon 5d lens?

Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
ok. she has decided on a 5D. baring in mind we do mainly wedding work, would you lot go for the 24-105 f4L(prefered cos of its range) or the 24-70 f2.8L?
is the 2.8 worth loosing 35 mm of range?theres also a couple of hundred quid more for the f2.8

she uses a 18 to 85 at the mo on her 30d and would like a bit more range.

I have the Canon 24-105 f4 L and it's a great lens i love it. But i also have a Sigma 24-70 F2.8 EX DG HSM and that is also a corker, so my advice is buy those two and i think it would still be cheaper than the Canon 24-70 F 2.8 L.

Actually, I'm not sure that IS makes much diference at these focal lengths, but as they say I suppose every little helps......!!!
put it on a 100+ lens, then you see a rea diference.

If you are doing weddings then indoors is a cert. f2.8 will help you out here.

For weddings I'd go for the 24-70 & take the extra light rather than IS.
I have just traded my 24-105 for one (cheers Paul (y)) & am very impressed - didn't think it'd compete with the 24-105 as I thought I'd miss the range & IS but I am very very happy with it so far (y)

I do miss having f2.8 available but I wouldn't want to be without IS for my main lens now. I have been taking handheld shots at 1/10th and slower with the 24-105 and they have been pretty sharp. 24-70 with IS might be interesting.

This lens doesn't exist, just thought i would point that out! :razz:;)

Agreed. If there was an HSM version of the Sigma 24-70, it would be alongside my D200 already.

To be honest though, Sigma must have looked at the market and seen the prices of the Canon & Nikon versions and said 'we can do that'. If they brought out a HSM version next week, it would fly off the shelves.

I have taken pics at 1/5th at 300mm with my VR.

I think the IS is not to be sniffed at, but the f2.8 would be v.nice

I have the 24-70 and my dream is to match it up with a 5D (or whatever replaces it at full frame). The 2.8 is a much better option than the extra reach and if Canon replace it with an IS version there's no contest really...though I'm guessing they'll stick a couple of hundred quid on to the already fairly hefty price.

24-70f2.8 is the better lens for indoor lowlight IMO, The only thing that would make me part with mine would be if the IS rumours turn out to be true and id trade up in a heartbeat.

Back