Canon 5D (MK1) - Still a good camera?

Edit My Images
No
I'm intrigued by the Canon 5D...is it still a worthwhile choice?

I'm aware technology has moved on and I know that the end results count (which is why I'm considering it). What are the pros and cons of the original 5D?

I really only want two or three lenses, with two of them being the 135mm f/2 and a Sigma 150mm Macro (people shots are my passion and I enjoy macro too). I'm not fussed about the 24-70mm or 28-70mm range and in all honesty would probably get a 50mm prime.

I would try a search but the word '5D' is too short for the search facility here!

Thanks for any thoughts...

I have a 5D and 5dMKII I really enjoy them both, the MK1 is still a fantastic camera and with the price coming way down is an absolute bargain. the 50mm prime is great with FF but I also wouldn't discount the zooms too quickly, they both work amazingly well with the 5D and for candids are superb.

Still a fantastic camera.

Cons (if you want to call them that) are autofocus compared with new 7d and nikon d700 but its still more than up to most jobs. And the software is behind the times. Its high iso noise is well controlled but eclipsed by the newer sensors from nikon and canon.

pros fabulous sensor.

The 5d was a fantastic camera when it was first launched and its image quality is still superb there was a interesting article in practical photography on aps v full frame on one piece of the article the 5d was tested against the 50d the 5d image was far better that said the higher iso to about 800 is still on par with say the sony the nixon d700 is better above this the specs on the camera are a bit dated compared to newer models but it depends what you want to use the camera for the 3 frames a second are the biggest downside for me. Just google canon 5d and you will find a whole list of tests and reviews. For image quality alone its a good buy. You get the best from the full frame sensor using prime lenses
Regards
Lost

People were taking phenomenal shots with 5Ds a few years ago, just because some new models arrive it doesn't change that! The new technology will make it a bit easier, with better autofocussing and noise control, but on the whole if it was a good camera a few years ago, it still will be now!

Chris

hi, if you are stepping up from cropped sensor to full frame, the 5D is a smashing choice. I'm looking at getting the MKII because I don't fancy having 2 5D MKI's, but its a very good camera and its a steal at 2nd hand prices for a decent full frame camera.

my wife still shoots weddings with her 5D and loves it.
24-105L is the lens she uses most.quality but has the range too.
you dont have much time to change lenses/swap cameras at a wedding sometimes.
she has actualy tried it with the 50mm and got some excellent results.
sigma's EX DG lenses work with full frame too.

its still a bloomin good camera.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

For those that don't know, I recently sold my D700 due to personal circumstances. :crying: I'm aware that the ISO and AF performance of the 5D will not be a match and having owned full frame I'm conscious that I now know what I like (I definitely prefer primes on FF in all honesty).

chris321 - I agree wholeheartedly, hence why I stated I know that end results count, which is why I'm considering the 5D.

I'll keep pondering. :)

The 5D was a landmark camera that held it's own for many years before they replaced it.

I miss mine, I would have another 5D in the blink of an eye. Fantastic machine.

The 5D Classic is still an excellent machine and is still my weapon of choice (until I can afford the MK2 of course ;-). I bought mine about 7 months ago through the canon refurb outlet for £800. There are better cameras out there but value for money it’s unbeatable in my opinion. Check out my blog for some wedding images taken just last weekend. I dont think ill ever sell mine :D

As a new owner of the Mk2 version, I have to say I've been a little deflated by the 2 in comparison with the classic I have sat here in the box ready to go to it's new owner.

When the D700 was released all the articles were 5D vs D700.., and D700 beat it by only a whisker in the reviews that I read.

The 5D will go down in history, deservedly as one of the most inspirational cameras ever.

Coming from a crop body, even a damn good one, you'll still grin when you see the shots. There's some magic in that sensor, no doubt.

I am desperately trying to sell all of my current gear to fund a 5D MkI and a 24-70L. Unfortunately I think I'm going to come up short :(

I really hope I can get one though.

I am desperately trying to sell all of my current gear to fund a 5D MkI and a 24-70L. Unfortunately I think I'm going to come up short :(

I really hope I can get one though.

if you ask nicely, i may consider an offer :LOL:

I've just got a 5D and 24-70L... fantastic camera and lens!

The detail is really good, bit of a jump from my 30D. But I love full frame as I've been spoilt by my EOS 3 film body :)

The 5D was and still is a fantastic camera and I was very sorry to see it go but wanted to try high speed sports photography for a while in other words, nothing wrong wth the 5d. Looking back at some of my old photos I'm still amazed at the crystal clear quality that the camera delivered time and time a gain without fail (24-105 was also an amazing lens). The only let down for me was the 3fps.

I love my 5d... the only slight issue I had with it was the poor LCD compaired to even the likes of my wifes 450d... but i've moved onto using histograms now rather than just looking at the picture view... so this has kind of disapeared for me as its fine for histogram viewing....

I think many of us get caught up by the latest models and technical wizardry... at the end of the day the camera helps but stunning pics are taken by the thoughts and eye and good technique of the person behind the lens.

The 5d like any landmark top quality camera of any point in photography will always be a good camera and very capable...

The new 5d also has no features that actually interest me so im not gonna change until this one actually dies... which will hopefully be a while!

M

The 5D is still a fantastic camera. Then sensor is capable of delivering fantastic results, but it's what's wrapped around it that lets down when compared to what other full frame alternatives are currently on the market.

As you know, it's relatively old in technology terms and whether or not you can get along with the feature differences between the D700 and the 5D could make the difference between you wanting to keep the 5D close by your side or wanting to launch it from a fast moving vehicle.

I went from 40D to 5D and was very happy with the improvement in image quality, but I missed some of the features that made the 40D a nicer user experience. Long story short, I sold my 5D and bought a D700. As much as I loved the 5D, it would hurt to lose the D700 features I've gotten used to.

I love using full frame. Given the choice of either a xxD or a 5D, I'd go with the 5D. 7D or 5D would be a tougher choice, but I still think 5D would win me over. It's like a dog you've had since it was a puppy. It's loyal, but a bit limp in one leg and farts like a trooper. You still love it, though ;)

It's loyal, but a bit limp in one leg and farts like a trooper. You still love it, though ;)

Sounds like the wife tbh. :eek:

:LOL:

Thanks for your thoughts on this....I am back on Nikon DX but I have this nagging feeling regarding the 5D....:shrug:

Recently I had to choose between the 5d mk I or buying a used D300 for similar money - I chose the D300. Obviously it depends what u want but here's why I did:

High ISO - According to reviews I read the 5d's noise at higher iso's wasn't particularly amazing, so there wasn't a significant benefit over a D300.

AF-Fine tune - One of the main reasons as I was always concerned my second hand lenses lenses wouldn't be pin sharp, now I can almost guarentee it! (Unless the lens is properly knackered!)

LCD - 5d was pretty dire, the D300 is a bit of a beauty.

Autofocus - 51 points vs 9(?) points - plus the D300 would be rapid.

Speed - the D300 would murder the 5d in terms of FPS and general operation.

Of course you lose out on wideness/DoF.

It seems you're not interested in wide lenses, which would almost negate the advantage of FF for your uses unless you're interested in the high ISO capability (less so in the case of the 5d MK I) and increased DoF for portraits.

Got the chance of a 5d mk1 for £650 ? worth it?

That's like asking if a car is worth £x without providing information about condition and mileage.

Depends on the condition and number of shutter actuations. It could be worth less, could be just right, could be worth more. Impossible to say without more info.

That's like asking if a car is worth £x without providing information about condition and mileage.

Depends on the condition and number of shutter actuations. It could be worth less, could be just right, could be worth more. Impossible to say without more info.

As above! It also depends on what you shoot, and what lenses you currently have :)

I moved from using 35mm film to a 5D a couple of years ago. For anyone used to shooting on film, the 5D is perfect. Lovely rich film-like colours and grain, and of course the lenses behave just the same due to the 1x crop factor.

I've never shot on a crop sensor and never will :)

A.

18 months ago I decided to get a 5DMk2 from Parks, after playing with one for a few minutes I knew I loved it, so I asked for one, they didnt have one in stock and I looked at a 50D, which I bought. 12 months on I got a 2nd hand Mk1 5D that was like new (albeit a 0 series). I love my 5D it knocks the 50D sideways in terms of IQ., my wife now uses the 50 and I dont hve any regrets letting her have that, she's have to prize the 5D out of my dead fingers to get it off me :)
What I struggle with is why people knock it against more modern kit, I honestly have no issues with its handling or operation, nor do I think its like an old dog you've had since a puppy and you stay with it out of loyalty, it was a brillaint image taker, it still is. I prefer the IQ over that of the Mk2 that I have seen on comparison sights (I've never owned a mk2).
I have no reason not to thoroughly recomend it, I also have a 28/135 (plus other lenses) which is a good walk around lens.

Matt

Back