Canon 5D Mk3 Rumour!

I could be wrong but i get the feeling that people (naturally) would like a 1Ds, in the body of a 5D, for the price of a 5D....forgetting that improved AF cannot be magically added without increasing the cost of the camera.

As this has been developed already, it would probably cost next to nothing to add. It's marketing that decides on the price of a camera.

What people want, they will get. There is free market at play here and the race to bring features to the market at the lowest price will grab market share.

Graham

THere's a few things that would be nice. A real auto ISO would be neat.

I think that I pretty much agree with what Harold M. Merklinger says in the above link. I think that even crop cameras overtook 35mm film in overall look some time ago.

According to an article I read in The Times (my favourite lunch time light reading) a while back, top end kodachrome film is equivalent to 20 megapixels. That makes the 5D mark II better than any film DSLR.

The Nikon D3x weighs in at 24 megapixels. The 1Ds mark IV and the 5D mark III are going to have to comfortably exceed that otherwise Canon may as pack it in.

Canon have a working prototype 50MP FF sensor. We of course wont see this for years, but hey, the MP count will only ever go up for a long time to come. This is according to a Canon rep I know.

But it wouldn't fit in the large range of bodies Canon have, which probably asks if they have too many by complicating the 50D/7D range? There's no room for a 60D with the 7D around (or is there)?

Would love a 60D to come out, but theres a few things they better improve rather than make some things worse like on the 50D - (Eg. slower fps, noisier iso)

I could be wrong but i get the feeling that people (naturally) would like a 1Ds, in the body of a 5D, for the price of a 5D....forgetting that improved AF cannot be magically added without increasing the cost of the camera.

Nikon managed it :) D700

It's why I made the move. The 5D was a cracking little camera but I loved the AF in the 1DsII, neither were fab at really high ISO's and I wanted to move to a camera that offered the ISO performance, AF and I'm also loving the smaller (they are not much lighter, they are little tanks!) bodies. (I shoot all day with 2 of them on a wedding)

It's the eternal problem faced by the manufacturers, some of us shoot wildlife, some weddings, some studio, some macro, some sports and we all have a wish list. It's getting the most needed features into one body.

And I agree with Hoppy, a Hassy would SO suit Gary ;)

love love love my 5dII, version III would have to be pretty insane to make me think about changing, maybe if it made a good cuppa!

I don't really see why they would improve the AF to the standard of the 7D! A full-frame body, with advanced AF...... surely that would be starting to tread on the 1Ds 's toes?

The 5D is most suited to studio and landscape stuff I always thought, so improving the AF I don't think would really do much for it's buyers. What could the 1Ds mkIV offer that a 5DIII couldn't, apart from build quality and higher frame rate?

Yes you are right but i think the 5D III has to do something to over take the D700 which in MHO is a far better camera with both AF and ISO and i think a lot of people have moved to Nikon over the last 12 months or so because of this.

Interestingly, no-ones mentioned the video capability.

Personally, I'm not into video so any video capabilities on a DSLR don't come into a purchasing decision and that's probably the case for may people on here which could explain why it's not been mentioned.

Not saying people won't get them for the video, I'm sure episodes of TV programmes have been filmed entirely on DSLR's and they'd be really useful for small film makers, but I'm guessing they don't use this forum.

Am still saving for my next upgrade so will be nice to hear what canon are thinking ..... although by the time i come to buy we could be on the 5dmk4!!

Yes you are right but i think the 5D III has to do something to over take the D700 which in MHO is a far better camera with both AF and ISO and i think a lot of people have moved to Nikon over the last 12 months or so because of this.

I know, i almost did because of that camera...

And now i am glad i didn't. You know the saying "invest in glass" ? Well, Canon has more glass.

Just think, 5Diii with 7D AF. Job done.

Nikon D700s or D800 is still a Nikon without all the fast primes that I can get on Canon.

It is only a year away for 5Diii, god knows how long until Nikon releases a 24/1.4 (or they might just have for this), 35/1.4, 50/1.2, 85/1.2 etc etc etc. So i think, for me, buying the D700 would be a short sighted move that will eventually come back and bite me on the ass. I mean I have already bought a 35L because i wanted something that wide and FAST for Wedding Reception work, on the Nikon platform, there is the 35/2.0, and is that even AF?

Last edited:
Personally, I'm not into video so any video capabilities on a DSLR don't come into a purchasing decision and that's probably the case for may people on here which could explain why it's not been mentioned.

I also said I'd never use video from an SLR, until I went into the forests in Quensland. I saw a Liar bird dart across the track and could just make out his tail, but not well enough to take a shot. Now, if I had video I could have at least recorded the wonderful calls he was making. I really kicked myself for not taking my video camera with me. (Now I have a 7D I don't have the same worry).

Steve

There is a Canon Event planned for tomorrow. Rumoured for 60D launch however how much of that is true I'm not sure.

DB

Not saying people won't get them for the video, I'm sure episodes of TV programmes have been filmed entirely on DSLR's and they'd be really useful for small film makers, but I'm guessing they don't use this forum.
thinking ..... although by the time i come to buy we could be on the 5dmk4!!

It's actually much more than that. Yes people are using them for broadcast where small cheap cameras can be used.

I hadn't considered it's use, thought it a bit of a gimmick at first until I spoke to journalists and photographers for magazines.

With so much emphasise now on the internet, having an additional advantage of video capability gives people the edge. I've been on three vehicle shoots recently where not only were still images produced for the magazine, but video files also shot for the web page content

One for Arcady, The London photographers Branch of the NUJ recently had a talk about the usage of cameras with video capability in the field of journalism. Some powerful stuff is coming out of Afghanistan, from people such as Danfung Dennis

http://www.danfungdennis.com/ and http://focus52.blogspot.com/2009/05/afghanistan-video-5d-mkii.html

Some powerful footage there.

well the new sony FF chips that are due out next year are supposed to be 30mp+ so it's defo a possibility

I would love to finally see the next evolution in DSLR with the 5dmk3, which would be a EVF, no more shutter which means finally using studio lighting outdoors with low DOF. The shutter has been leftover from the film days, in the digital world it doesnt make too much sense...

Dont really have a need for improved AF for model shoots, and the AF points are never spread out the outer edges to make them useful, so still be a case of focus and recompose..

So for the moment il stick to the 5d mk1

Last edited:
You'll find a shutter is very useful when it comes to keeping a sensor clean, without one it'd be a nightmare ever changing a lens

I can't see me wanting anything more from the 5D MKII anytime soon. As a beginner I'm sure I still have a lot to learn and over time maybe I will come to want more from certain areas of the camera but right now I think:

• The speed of the AF is great, it seems really fast.
  • The image size is massive and allows for large crops (which helps me cover up soft images at the moment due to poor technique)
  • The ISO performance is great and I doubt very much that at the same resolution images from the D700 would have less noise than the 5D MKII.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's actually much more than that. Yes people are using them for broadcast where small cheap cameras can be used.

I hadn't considered it's use, thought it a bit of a gimmick at first until I spoke to journalists and photographers for magazines.

With so much emphasise now on the internet, having an additional advantage of video capability gives people the edge. I've been on three vehicle shoots recently where not only were still images produced for the magazine, but video files also shot for the web page content

One for Arcady, The London photographers Branch of the NUJ recently had a talk about the usage of cameras with video capability in the field of journalism. Some powerful stuff is coming out of Afghanistan, from people such as Danfung Dennis

http://www.danfungdennis.com/ and http://focus52.blogspot.com/2009/05/afghanistan-video-5d-mkii.html

Thanks for opening my eyes to DSLR videography, it's made me realise that we can now get video from places where we'd only previously get a single image and having that ability can only be good.

Now ... back to the 5d mk3 rumours ......

This is relevant to the 5D mk3 rumours though.

The 5D is being heavily pushed as the DSLR video, mainly thanks to people like Laforet, but even Spielberg is using them in current productions. Canon will take notice of broadcasters and film makers using them and as such I'd expect the video functionality to feature heavily in the new Mk3.

I could think of better AF when using video, mini hdmi and at least the higher res output from hdmi that the 7D has.

Is the 5D mk2 water resistant - perhaps some improvements there also?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the 5d's already weather sealed but there's always improvements to be had with weather sealing so that'd be welcome.

Technically the greatest improvements to be introduced are with video as it's a relatively new addition to DSLR's and as with new technology it develops at an alarming rate, AF would be fairly high in most people's lists. It seems that way more people are using them for video than I thought, it's a new market segment and I can see why it would be beneficial to a manufacturer to try and capture it sooner rather than later.

Video seems to feature heavily in Canon-based rumours, with comments that the 1Ds mk4, 5D mk3 and 60D will feature better video capability. The 5D will have to have better than the 7D though so I wouldn't be surprised if your list was on the camera.

Great Link ...Thanks:):):)

I've been thinking about buying a 7D recently, but have the nagging feeling that I should just save the extra and get the 5D...

I was asking in Jessops in Exeter about the 7D and the guy asked "why not wait and buy the 5D mk2? The Mk3 is coming out soon so the Mk2 will be dropping in price"... Does he know something we don't?

I'm in no rush so I'm tempted to wait and see what the Mk3 has to offer or how low the Mk2 price goes.

I was asking in in Exeter about the 7D and the guy asked "why not wait and buy the 5D mk2? The Mk3 is coming out soon so the Mk2 will be dropping in price"... Does he know something we don't?

He knows nothing. "Sometime this year" isn't exactly a secret.

I was asking in Jessops in Exeter about the 7D and the guy asked "why not wait and buy the 5D mk2? The Mk3 is coming out soon so the Mk2 will be dropping in price"... Does he know something we don't?

I'm in no rush so I'm tempted to wait and see what the Mk3 has to offer or how low the Mk2 price goes.

Camerpricebuster shows that the price of the 5DII body has never been lower than over Christmas/now. It can keep coming down for me.

Back