Canon 5D test shot

Edit My Images
Yes
Been looking at the Canon 5D and rattled out some test shots in RAW with my 50mm 1.8 prime attached, courstey of Jessops; The horsefair Bristol.

Nice, very nice. However, first error with FF was to not mentally note the zoom change and as shot over a counter could not zoom with feet. (we all know I like those tight portrait shots)

That said, a nice quick portrait shot. F2.2, 250, no flash ISO 500 (too much?) as light not great in store. Edited in Capture One and then CS2.

Advice taken in that the usual things apply here with reference to good quality glass required though my £60.00 50mm prime lookds great to me, but apparently the 24 - 700 excels as would Seans prime kit.

This could be my next move and seems logical given my preferred shooting style and method. Would just love top spend more time with it tbh. :shake:

Any thoughts/opinions?

All's i can say Diego is that i could do that with my 20D or 10D and you could do that with your gear

You and i and most all of us know the differences format wise, but as for the actual quality of the final image, i would not be able to differentiate between the 5D or 20D 30D

Gives you more control over DoF with less expensive lenses though, which is nice!

I LOVE my 5D. Honestly, I think it is wonderful at ISO 1000 and I actually let it rest there. 9 times out of 10, I think I can tell the difference between a 5D shot and a 10, 20, or 30. This camera lends so much more depth and latitude, the images look 3-D...I'll stop, (for now.)
love this camera.

Gives you more control over DoF with less expensive lenses though, which is nice!

It's ultimately a question of how much impact will it have on his work. Quality wise, i think little.

You've been up and down over the last few days Diego, thinking about switching to Nikon, now taking a look at a 5D

If i were to go with a 5D then i'd start using my 135 as i use my 85, my 85 as i would use 50, my 50 as i use 35mm. The only real change would be having the actual fov of the 35mm prime.

But the over all style or quality of my shots would not change, so right now i have no real desire for a 5D and i could have for my Birthday next month.

The question is, will your work change.

That 50mm 1.8 is a gem when you consider what it costs, but it's no portrait lens on a FF. But then you do have the 85, so it will be a case of swapping lenses as much as anything. There's obvious pros and cons, but the real question is, will it make a difference to your work? Only you can answer that one

I LOVE my 5D. Honestly, I think it is wonderful at ISO 1000 and I actually let it rest there. 9 times out of 10, I think I can tell the difference between a 5D shot and a 10, 20, or 30. This camera lends so much more depth and latitude, the images look 3-D...I'll stop, (for now.)
love this camera.

Only thing that makes an image look 3D is playing with perspective. A camera by itself can not do that. I honestly think simply have to make a blind guess with a shot stripped of its exif.

If my images need any more depth it would be content and not format.

It's ultimately a question of how much impact will it have on his work. Quality wise, i think little.

You've been up and down over the last few days Diego, thinking about switching to Nikon, now taking a look at a 5D

If i were to go with a 5D then i'd start using my 135 as i use my 85, my 85 as i would use 50, my 50 as i use 35mm. The only real change would be having the actual fov of the 35mm prime.

But the over all style or quality of my shots would not change, so right now i have no real desire for a 5D and i could have for my Birthday next month.

The question is, will your work change.

That 50mm 1.8 is a gem when you consider what it costs, but it's no portrait lens on a FF. But then you do have the 85, so it will be a case of swapping lenses as much as anything. There's obvious pros and cons, but the real question is, will it make a difference to your work? Only you can answer that one

Correct. Seems to be as I am getting more stuff that pays hence my confusion over it all to be honest the odd thing is that it has found me and the big problem is having to reign in what I love about using my camera, BBC being the case in point. Have always been honest enough to say that not really sure where my leanings are but if I could nail down one niche area I would love to shoot everyday, it would be portrait and everday life my way. Simple as that.

I will be frank and say that, for some reason I have not been enjoying using my camera of late. My input on here is down, I dont know which way to go and probably like other people I view work on here and think 'wow, if only I could shoot like that.' Case in point your recent theme with Ben and the hooded top shots. Simply amazing stuff.

Boon walked away and I can understand why - I think what has got me fed up is that an insight into the 'pro' circuit has revealed that many 'pro snappers' simply cant/dont take decent pictures and have no passion for imagery/content. The ability to rattle off 100 shots and keep one is not talent nor skill is it?

Sean, going to diagree with the PQ on the 5D. from my monitor and with my specs on, the 5D trumps the 30D which is no slouch.

Just fed up and confused tbh. Always a plus side though. Sold some pictures from Silverstone for a nice £200.00 so thats going towards a weekend in Manchester with my newish girl.

Rant over. :crying:

My input on here is down, I dont know which way to go and probably like other people I view work on here and think 'wow, if only I could shoot like that.'

As an aside, sir - know this :
What you have just described is undoubtedly how I view your work, and I'm certain is also how many others view your work, too.

As an aside, sir - know this :
What you have just described is undoubtedly how I view your work, and I'm certain is also how many others view your work, too.

Thanks - likewise with your stuff.

Can you feel the love? :LOL:

Well Diego, when you think people like Bresson made a 40 year groundbreaking career with a 50mm lens and a leica, you can't help but be reminded that you do not need a wealth of lenses to be creative, that it can only come from with in. The answer on how to solve your frustration does not lie in a 20D, a D200, a 5D or a hasselblad.

You can not shop your way to creativity. I know the type of photographer you are, and you know as well as i do that the tag of a pro means very little.

If think you're disillusioned right now, because you're taking shots for money that you don't believe in, not a good idea for a photographer with soul.

I think you could sell your own work as fine art prints if you desired it enough.

I know it's easy for me to say as i own a small business, but there's not enough money you could give me to shoot things i don't care about, i live & wrok on my own terms, always have which is why i can't have a boss.

As the old saying goes, what does it profit a man who gains the world, only to lose his soul.

I'm not knocking the 5D, it's a very good camera. A constant reply to photos i see and it often happens to my own in places like Fred Miranda is, what lens camera did you use?, which you know is not something i get in to myself. Makes me laugh though, as it's like buy this and you to can have shots like this.

But back to the main issue, i'm pretty sure that it's an ideological issue rather then a mechanical issue you have to get sorted. I can't really relate to what boons going through, i have a constant drive and need to express myself via the camera. I feel for the guy, but i can't relate to it. I hope things change for him, and i sure as hell don't want to see you go down that road

If you want to have a chat, just pm mate

Cheers

I enjoy your work Pete...believe in what yuo can do, for I am impressed m8!

I think the problem is Marianne is that the shots he believes in are not the shots he's being paid for. As he said his heart is out on the street shooting people

I will be frank and say that, for some reason I have not been enjoying using my camera of late. My input on here is down, I dont know which way to go and probably like other people I view work on here and think 'wow, if only I could shoot like that.' Case in point your recent theme with Ben and the hooded top shots. Simply amazing stuff.

We all feel like that from time to time. Your shots here are great for random off the cuff in store shots. I think its just the way it works :)

Hmmm. Although FF really does appeal to me, I think Sean_Mcr is making very, very valid points.
I also think he's right that a lot of your shots have serious fine art sales potential - hell, some I might even want! So that's possibly one avenue to persue, too.

Since I got into photography about a year ago I've been trying to sample as many different "flavours" of it as I can - to get an idea for what I enjoy the most, and also what I'm best at! At the moment I still can't pin that down to any real area, and perhaps I'll never be able to - so I do a bit of a wide variety of stuff.
Of course, I've always realised that if I decide that I adore taking photos of, say, ants - but I can't find work in that area, then I have to look to other areas of photography. So what I perhaps suggest for you is to stick at the stuff which is money, but perhaps not what you really enjoy, but at the same time push what you do feel is your forté - as previously mentioned maybe your portraiture as fine art prints. The reason I say to stick with the less enjoyable stuff is that you can be building a larger web of contacts and general recognition which can later bolster you in other directions of photography.

And yes, I feel the luurve :LOL:

I enjoy your work Pete...believe in what yuo can do, for I am impressed m8!

Thanks. The guys are on the money. Its a funny thing. Going to an event as press it quite odd. People place you on a pedalstool and its odd how much respect shooting from say a stage pit gets you. For me, its all about access, which equates to better shots for me, my archive and my memories.

The other side of it is

can you not tilt the camera please? our picture editor is the creative one (my Ar*e is he). He may be offended if you do the work with the camera!

Please dont adjust levels or curves and oh, any layer is a big big no no.

Picture printed in the south wests largest paper this week - not a single credit. Getting fed up with that. If a snappers work is governed by rep then the media do all they can to let you down.

But as before, I cant turn it down as it simply enables better pictures for me and working with seasoned pros has answered some questions and taught me loads of stuff I would not have known before hand.

Catch my drift?

Absolutely.

It's harsh, but it's also a sprinboard to other things. Awkward!

If you want to be an artist go live in a dingy garret ;-) If you want to earn a living do what your customers want of you.

Some will want art and some will want junk. Make the choice which jobs you accept and then do your very best. If you have to accept them all to live then that is a choice: starve or do something else.

If you don't want to do any of this I doubt your in the right profession. Seems to me there is no reason why anyone can't combine 'art' and making a living. It's not black and white. You can take some shots at a 'tilt' for yourself and some 'straight 'if that's what the customer wants. Keep the ones you want and give them what they want. It's not that hard. Sounds to me like you're blaming other people for something that is really to do with yourself and a need for recognition of self expression on your own terms. As I say, if that is what drives you then accept the consiquences.

Otherwise, agree with Sean 110% and while the 5D is a great camera it doesn't give you any solution to what you're talking about.

If you want to be an artist go live in a dingy garret ;-) If you want to earn a living do what your customers want of you.

Some will want art and some will want junk. Make the choice which jobs you accept and then do your very best. If you have to accept them all to live then that is a choice: starve or do something else.

If you don't want to do any of this I doubt your in the right profession. Seems to me there is no reason why anyone can't combine 'art' and making a living. It's not black and white. You can take some shots at a 'tilt' for yourself and some 'straight 'if that's what the customer wants. Keep the ones you want and give them what they want. It's not that hard. Sounds to me like you're blaming other people for something that is really to do with yourself and a need for recognition of self expression on your own terms. As I say, if that is what drives you then accept the consiquences.

Otherwise, agree with Sean 110% and while the 5D is a great camera it doesn't give you any solution to what you're talking about.

OK.

As for the bold stuff, nope not at all.

Cheers.

Back