Canon 5DS R

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Anybody still using either and if so why, also if they have or will be changing to the R5 or R6.

Thanks.

non-R here.

Great high MP body for those really large landscapes with proper real viewfinder. Cost me around £900 brand new. A crazy bargain vs £4k R5 and offers slightly more resolution. The R version should give you quite a bit more still. It lives on tripod, so I don't really care about high ISO or IBIS.

One day I'll maybe get R5, or perhaps mkII. Not at this price though. I could more likely see myself get £2k Sony A7RIV or even instead go for some medium format outfit.

R mount lenses are way too expensive too. I have to say I don't like the idea of fly by the wire, all plastic build, and extending 70-200mm zooms. Perhaps I will never go there.

non-R here.

Great high MP body for those really large landscapes with proper real viewfinder. Cost me around £900 brand new. A crazy bargain vs £4k R5 and offers slightly more resolution. The R version should give you quite a bit more still. It lives on tripod, so I don't really care about high ISO or IBIS.

One day I'll maybe get R5, or perhaps mkII. Not at this price though. I could more likely see myself get £2k Sony A7RIV or even instead go for some medium format outfit.

R mount lenses are way too expensive too. I have to say I don't like the idea of fly by the wire, all plastic build, and extending 70-200mm zooms. Perhaps I will never go there.

£900 quid for new 5ds - 50mp.

Where?

That an an L 70-200 2.8 and I could switch out ALL my remaining Nikon Gear. A D850 is at least twice the price grey and my intention is to stick a 70-200 2.8 on it for when 85mm isn't long enough on my 645z.

The A7r4 looks a good buy at the moment and eInfinity at just over £2000 - make sure the PDAF banding won't give you any issues though (having phase detect sensors on the body can cause some issues with extreme shadow recovery or in highlights.

Don't touch an R5 - for the money that is two A7r4's or a Fuji GFXs50 both of which you can adapt some of your Canon lenses too and in time upgrade to native glass.

Mirrorless doesn't bring anything new to the party for me so the 5dsr isn't going anywhere.

Neither for me - truth be told that was a big motivation for buying the 645z. I like SLRs, I want to keep using them and Canon/Nikon have killed them essentially.

Last edited:
£900 quid for new 5ds - 50mp.

Where?

That an an L 70-200 2.8 and I could switch out ALL my remaining Nikon Gear. A D850 is at least twice the price grey and my intention is to stick a 70-200 2.8 on it for when 85mm isn't long enough on my 645z.

The A7r4 looks a good buy at the moment and eInfinity at just over £2000 - make sure the PDAF banding won't give you any issues though (having phase detect sensors on the body can cause some issues with extreme shadow recovery or in highlights.

Don't touch an R5 - for the money that is two A7r4's or a Fuji GFXs50 both of which you can adapt some of your Canon lenses too and in time upgrade to native glass.

Neither for me - truth be told that was a big motivation for buying the 645z. I like SLRs, I want to keep using them and Canon/Nikon have killed them essentially.

You are quite a bit too late to the (clearance) party... Best deal was at hdew. I suspect this year same will happen for mkIV and Eos r but I'm not that interested. Obviously you still have eBay for used sales at arguably inflated prices

I think when Sony mk IV drops a few hundred more I may have a think, but sadly it brings little to the party for video uses (8bit non-raw only). There are some jobs where it may be very useful to have from time to time. I would need 5-10min tops.

Don't worry I'm not going to spend any more than £2k on r5. It really stands out for video, but that advantaged is hopefully about to be levelled by the competition and likewise the prices.

I doubt either r5 or a7riv eliminate the need to bracket in certain situations so I'm far more concerned with the lenses and particularly why 24-70mm looks so awful at 50mp

Not sure why the 20MP R6 is in the conversation with 3 resolution monsters.

The R5 is several times more expensive than the 5DS models and i suspect only Pro`s and very very keep enthusiasts are buying them at the moment.

Hopefully Canon will release a high res mirrorless that is cheaper at some point.

You are quite a bit too late to the (clearance) party... Best deal was at hdew. I suspect this year same will happen for mkIV and Eos r but I'm not that interested. Obviously you still have eBay for used sales at arguably inflated prices

I think when Sony mk IV drops a few hundred more I may have a think, but sadly it brings little to the party for video uses (8bit non-raw only). There are some jobs where it may be very useful to have from time to time. I would need 5-10min tops.

Don't worry I'm not going to spend any more than £2k on r5. It really stands out for video, but that advantaged is hopefully about to be levelled by the competition and likewise the prices.

I doubt either r5 or a7riv eliminate the need to bracket in certain situations so I'm far more concerned with the lenses and particularly why 24-70mm looks so awful at 50mp
Have you seen the over heating thread re R5s. Just wouldn't touch one.

You got a hell of a deal on the 5ds. What a beast for £900. Try some quality primes and it'll treat you well.

Hdew have no 5ds or 5dsr bodies. Pananoz have them at 1280 and an extra 10 for the r version. The L 70-200 2.8 at under 1500. Seems a good rig but late to the party.

Id be easier selling my D810s and getting a d850 when they're cheaper for my long reach stuff

Last edited:
R5 is several times more expensive than the 5DS models and i suspect only Pro`s and very very keep enthusiasts are buying them at the moment.

Hopefully Canon will release a high res mirrorless that is cheaper at some point.

5dsr was around £3k for quite a while. They are 5 years apart. Time has the biggest influence on price. I doubt canon would need to entice anyone with cheap high Res mirror less. Most people don't need any more than 20mp and that includes most of my direct commercial work. It is reasonable to expect keenly priced RP replacement perhaps with reused 30mp sensor? That's just my wild guessing

Have you seen the over heating thread re R5s. Just wouldn't touch one.

You got a hell of a deal on the 5ds. What a beast for £900. Try some quality primes and it'll treat you well.

Yes. I hope the later models will have some thermal improvements, but really we are ideally looking at mkII. Personally this wouldn't affect my work much at all as long as I have good 3 year warranty to back it

5dsr was around £3k for quite a while. They are 5 years apart. Time has the biggest influence on price. I doubt canon would need to entice anyone with cheap high Res mirror less. Most people don't need any more than 20mp and that includes most of my direct commercial work. It is reasonable to expect keenly priced RP replacement perhaps with reused 30mp sensor? That's just my wild guessing

Yes. I hope the later models will have some thermal improvements, but really we are ideally looking at mkII. Personally this wouldn't affect my work much at all as long as I have good 3 year warranty to back it
Yes time is a great healer for price. A 645z new when it was launched was over £8500 iirc. Now well under 4 with a vast array of good second hand glass out there.

Id wait for mk2 and enjoy the 5ds. No better new camera for £900 no doubt about that at all.

Mirrorless doesn't bring anything new to the party for me so the 5dsr isn't going anywhere.

My EOS R does make focusing tilt/shift lenses easier with the focus peaking. Its something that I wish my 5dsr had. And other Canon DSLRs to be honest. Other than that I'm still happy with the 5Dsr for most stuff.

Regards

Maybe not for you Bob, but for others the R5/6 list of major new features is extensive. Transformative AF, greater dynamic range, IBIS, articulating screen, great video etc.

Maybe not for you Bob, but for others the R5/6 list of major new features is extensive. Transformative AF, greater dynamic range, IBIS, articulating screen, great video etc.

Perhaps, and is it's more than 3k price difference! But I think I would instead have much stronger case for replacing 5d3 with r6. What a shame they decided to put a much inferior evf into that ruling it out entirely for me

Of course, Richard, it's always based on personal needs. That said, I don't see anybody going from a 50Mp 5DS or 5DSr to a 20Mp R5 no matter how many extra feaatures the R5 possesses.
The R6 is much more comparable and I'm sure it's an excellent option for 5D3/5D4 users who want an allround camera but anybody looking for good AF and Ibis shouldn't have bought a 5DSr in the first place.

I bought my 5DSr to pair up with my Tilt-Shift and Zeiss lenses which are used almost exclusively on a tripod for landscape and architecture so AF and Ibis are mute points for me. Improved DR is always a good thing I also think that a live histogram is an excellent feature but basing it on the jpeg profile means that it's not representative of the raw data....a shame.

There are plenty of folk who'll buy the R6 for the right reasons but there'll also be those who buy one for the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
I bought my 5DSr to pair up with my Tilt-Shift and Zeiss lenses which are used almost exclusively on a tripod for landscape and architecture so AF and Ibis are mute points for me. Improved DR is always a good thing I also think that a live histogram is an excellent feature but basing it on the jpeg profile means that it's not representative of the raw data....a shame.

Landscape and architecture is all I shoot. For me the 5ds or 5dsr is the one body that Canon make that always tempted me from Nikon D8x0 series. I wouldn't entertain a 20mp camera in a month of sundays and the R5 costs more than a 645z does and not far off 2x the price of an A7r4 which is probably the better mirrorless rig.

Histogram preview is on the D8x0 series. I like it...and it's not far off what is in RAW. It will certainly help you judge exposure. I work to a rule that a small amount of blinkies are fine...but if large sections are flashing you've goosed it.

Last edited:
Don’t understand this camera to be honest. Naff DR, not great noise handling, from what I’ve heard you have to be very careful with technique to nail a shot.

Seems much worse than an A7rii for similar money.

5D IV. No current plans to change. That will happen either A, because the existing camera is waring out and has signs of becoming uneconomical to continue to repair, B, I need a functionality that the existing equipment does not have and I have a direct need for. At the moment, considering a digital back for the old large format camera.

At some point will probably end up with a R series camera, but it is unlikely to be before the Mk2 version has come out and I can pick up a nearly new mk 1 second hand.

Last edited:
Don’t understand this camera to be honest. Naff DR, not great noise handling, from what I’ve heard you have to be very careful with technique to nail a shot.

Seems much worse than an A7rii for similar money.

On tripod you can have all the Dr you may want in the world and hence reasonable noise handling. In any case it is never any worse than output from 2x MP bodies, but you have to make an effort to make it significantly better.

Well maybe except long exposure (>1min). Somehow it causes noise to go through the roof.

The way I see it Vs a7rii it has proper viewfinder Vs rubbish, proper form factor Vs small toy, proper sealing Vs none, proper controls Vs mess, more resolution, rubbish video Vs acceptable video, and the rest is lens and user dependent. The latter part is the most important by a very big margin

Last edited:
The DR does suffer a little due to the small pixels. The noise handling isn't an issue at iso100-200 and as for needing careful technique, that's exactly the demographic at which it was marketed. The 5D4 was the iso friendly all rounder. The 5DSr is a niche camera and I don't believe that Canon ever tried to pass it off as anything else.

On tripod you can have all the Dr you may want in the world and hence reasonable noise handling. In any case it is never any worse than output from 2x MP bodies, but you have to make an effort to make it significantly better.

Well maybe except long exposure (>1min). Somehow it causes noise to go through the roof.

The way I see it Vs a7rii it has proper viewfinder Vs rubbish, proper form factor Vs small toy, proper sealing Vs none, proper controls Vs mess, more resolution, rubbish video Vs acceptable video, and the rest is lens and user dependent. The latter part is the most important by a very big margin

Well, that depends what you want to shoot, time of day shutter speed etc. Landscape shots I shoot sometimes need ISO320-640 depending on time of the day, desired SS and aperture.

However, RII viewfinder isn't that bad and shows you constant live view, focus peaking, not exactly a small toy (basically the same form factor as the other MK3 bodies used by thousands of professionals worldwide), wouldn't personally choose to get any body soaked so not too much of a concern to me, cannot fathom how anyone could consider the controls on an rii as a mess personally, resolution is barely more (extra 8mp), rii does 4k and has pretty decent video to be fair. IBIS etc makes it much easier to shoot in every scenario other than on a tripod.

I get what you're saying, but I know which I'd pick. Would be impossible to use the 5DSR up a mountain with a bit of breeze.

I get what you're saying, but I know which I'd pick. Would be impossible to use the 5DSR up a mountain with a bit of breeze.

It's nice that we have plenty of choices now and if money is not an issue you can get what it suits you best :)

I've done plenty of mountains, to -20c in Canada and up in Arctic Circle with 5DsR they work just fine.

Well, that depends what you want to shoot, time of day shutter speed etc. Landscape shots I shoot sometimes need ISO320-640 depending on time of the day, desired SS and aperture.

I appreciate we all have different priorities and needs so we will pick a different tool; and it also depends on your existing lens collection and other bodies.

ISO 320-640 on tripod means quite extreme conditions like 1 hour after the sunset or basically pitch black... Still it is perfectly reasonable at bright enough exposure, unless for some reason you need to expose for a few minutes.

However, RII viewfinder isn't that bad and shows you constant live view, focus peaking, not exactly a small toy (basically the same form factor as the other MK3 bodies used by thousands of professionals worldwide), wouldn't personally choose to get any body soaked so not too much of a concern to me, cannot fathom how anyone could consider the controls on an rii as a mess personally,

These are all things that turn a fun day out into chore

resolution is barely more (extra 8mp)

every little helps :)

rii does 4k and has pretty decent video to be fair.

pretty decent 8-bit compressed. That's extremely limiting DR for my needs. I will need full 14bit and ideally more. I appreciate it may be enough for other applications.

IBIS etc makes it much easier to shoot in every scenario other than on a tripod.

Fair point, and something that R5/6 addressed even better. There are good reasons why I choose to shoot from tripod at every opportunity, including perfectly level horizon and / or building features without losing resolution, perfect sharpness, ISO 100 and sufficient aperture, exposure or focus bracketing. Basically I will shoot landscapes handheld if I think it is not important or it is a split second opportunity.

Would be impossible to use the 5DSR up a mountain with a bit of breeze.

I am sorry to say but perhaps you should invest into a better tripod. Done that many times and all looks pixel perfect.

It's nice that we have plenty of choices now and if money is not an issue you can get what it suits you best :)

I've done plenty of mountains, to -20c in Canada and up in Arctic Circle with 5DsR they work just fine.
I appreciate we all have different priorities and needs so we will pick a different tool; and it also depends on your existing lens collection and other bodies.

ISO 320-640 on tripod means quite extreme conditions like 1 hour after the sunset or basically pitch black... Still it is perfectly reasonable at bright enough exposure, unless for some reason you need to expose for a few minutes.

These are all things that turn a fun day out into chore

every little helps :)

pretty decent 8-bit compressed. That's extremely limiting DR for my needs. I will need full 14bit and ideally more. I appreciate it may be enough for other applications.

Fair point, and something that R5/6 addressed even better. There are good reasons why I choose to shoot from tripod at every opportunity, including perfectly level horizon and / or building features without losing resolution, perfect sharpness, ISO 100 and sufficient aperture, exposure or focus bracketing. Basically I will shoot landscapes handheld if I think it is not important or it is a split second opportunity.

I am sorry to say but perhaps you should invest into a better tripod. Done that many times and all looks pixel perfect.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I've never actually used that camera so am not talking from experience - just what I've read and heard.

My original point was that when considering alternatives it doesn't look great :)

from what I’ve heard you have to be very careful with technique to nail a shot.

I heard all this jamboree about D800's and D810's and used mine hand held for non landscape things, and on the tripod and never had a problem at all. Decent tripod is a good investment but most who buy this camera will have a tool up to the task.

Technique - use live view with shutter self timer/cable release or cable release with quiet shutter and focus correctly. (you can check in live view and zoom in to check if you chose the AF point the best or just do it manually at 100% in live view). If not - just chimp the back of the thing and check the shot's not blurry and retake if it is. If you hand hold use either a shutter speed more than 1/fl or 1/2x fl if in doubt,upping the ISO or opening the lens up a bit...or take advantage of the excellent anti shake tech on modern lenses. If in doubt, take a couple in burst mode as the second is usually sharper than the first.

None of these are advanced or difficult operations to perform. This isn't landing an airbus A380 with three engines down in a crosswind onto an icy runway but a perfectly simple and ordinary task that doesn't require a huge amount of skill or understanding to do. If someone cannot follow these basic operations why would they own a decent camera. This stuff applies to ALL camera's in landscape not just the 30mp plus ones.

I've never used a 5dsr but I cannot imagine I would have any difficulty with this camera and am seriously contemplating one if I can get it for under £1000 - that, and Canons amazing 70-200 2.8 and 100-400 L would work for a few things I have in mind.

Last edited:
I've added R5 a couple of months ago as an all-rounder successor to 5DM4 and an improved B camera for filming from the R. I still have the 5DM4 and R as additional camera bodies for multi-cam live-streaming. In terms of photography, the R5 is producing stunning results and outperforming my 1DXM2 for events, sports, and wildlife mainly due to the improved AF. It's an investment of course, and easier to justify if you're selling your work for decent money.

Canons amazing 70-200 2.8 and 100-400 L would work for a few things I have in mind

I suspect 100-400mm ii is the one you really need. It makes perfect sense if buying from scratch. I've got 70-200 f4 is + 400 f5.6 and they are great but obviously with a gap around 300mm, and take up more precious space in the bag. 400mm+ is obviously where you have to be super careful at 50mp, and sometimes atmospheric haze won't let you get away with good shot at all.

I heard all this jamboree about D800's and D810's and used mine hand held for non landscape things, and on the tripod and never had a problem at all. Decent tripod is a good investment but most who buy this camera will have a tool up to the task.

Technique - use live view with shutter self timer/cable release or cable release with quiet shutter and focus correctly. (you can check in live view and zoom in to check if you chose the AF point the best or just do it manually at 100% in live view). If not - just chimp the back of the thing and check the shot's not blurry and retake if it is. If you hand hold use either a shutter speed more than 1/fl or 1/2x fl if in doubt,upping the ISO or opening the lens up a bit...or take advantage of the excellent anti shake tech on modern lenses. If in doubt, take a couple in burst mode as the second is usually sharper than the first.

None of these are advanced or difficult operations to perform. This isn't landing an airbus A380 with three engines down in a crosswind onto an icy runway but a perfectly simple and ordinary task that doesn't require a huge amount of skill or understanding to do. If someone cannot follow these basic operations why would they own a decent camera. This stuff applies to ALL camera's in landscape not just the 30mp plus ones.

I've never used a 5dsr but I cannot imagine I would have any difficulty with this camera and am seriously contemplating one if I can get it for under £1000 - that, and Canons amazing 70-200 2.8 and 100-400 L would work for a few things I have in mind.

Never personally heard such criticism of either the d800 or d810 myself.

I am not saying you can't take a good shot with this camera, but its a tool that makes life more difficult than another camera of very similar resolution at a similar price with bags more features and dynamic range, plus the ability to use any lens on the planet pretty much.

Just doesn't seem a wise investment vs what else is out there.

Never personally heard such criticism of either the d800 or d810 myself.

I am not saying you can't take a good shot with this camera, but its a tool that makes life more difficult than another camera of very similar resolution at a similar price with bags more features and dynamic range, plus the ability to use any lens on the planet pretty much.

When the D800 came out a bucket load of internet inadequates complained about the res and the inability to get sharp shots. I've used mine hand held for events, in landscapes with long glass, countless times on tripods and it just isn't true.

Bear in mind this is a camera aimed at either studio photographers or landscape shooters who probably have some Canon EF glass to use. I doubt this is anyones first Canon rodeo (bar potentially mine of I got a stonking deal on it). I've seen so many Canon stuff on workshops etc it's not a system I'd worry about using.

Consider the following:

A lot of my shots don't even utilize the full DR of what I have (the exposure sits comfortably within either end of the histogram). Particularly with Long lenses that frame a small part of an overall scene. I can think of many shots I've taken where I wouldn't even utilize the dynamic range of this 5dsr. In this case expose to the right, and bring the blacks back in post - quick slider in LR or do it in curves/levels in whatever you edit on.

However a lot of shots in landscape photography exceed that of the dynamic range of a modern sensor or even the medium format sensor in my 645z and that of the Nikon D850. What then - you just either blend exposures or use the grad filters that @LongLensPhotography hates so much. I think they're fine but he hates them. That's fine. If you blend just buy a stack of memory cards and some extra storage for your PC.

What features do you think this camera lacks - and for £1290 on a grey site what do you think is better? It has a nice big ovf - decent AF (for static subjects anyway), live view (ok missing live view histogram - one feature I'd miss but metering is good on these cameras as are previews at the back give an idea of the histogram and exposure on R, G and B channels as well as overall luminescence values) - trust me - those who want this camera will understand these and will achieve optimum exposure second time around if they goose it first time around.

Given the res, the price and the vast array of used/new EF mount canon glass out there this camera is sound for 7yrs.

Here is the thing about Sony cameras, and mirrorless in general that I find makes things hard.

1. They feel small and fiddly. The best one handing wise is the Panasonic S1r. It's nice a and big. With a big lens on they don't handhold well, and on a tripod can tip forward. A tripod collar for a heavy lens fixes that though. But I cannot abide the small size.
2. The big one. They let in f*** tons of sensor dirt. I mean all the time. You will spend ages in PP cloning it out - and don't think LR catches them all with it's autoremove thing. it doesn't. You'll spend longer cloning out dirt than actually doing your RAW development. If you travel away and change lens a few times and haven't got access to a dust free place to clean the sensor, that will be annoying and in some cases detrimental to your out put. The 5dsr is properly sealed, if you change the lens you have the mirror in the way. It takes many lens changes before it's grubby in there. And for the price you can buy two of them almost for the price of 1 a7r4.
3. The EVF - some love them, others hate them. Guess which camp I fall into
4. Your point about the multi lens adaptability is valid - but with all systems the best ones are probably native to the system so you just use these. And how many lenses do most have. I am down finally to 4 and it's liberating.
5. Google PDAF banding.

Last edited:
When the D800 came out a bucket load of internet inadequates complained about the res and the inability to get sharp shots. I've used mine hand held for events, in landscapes with long glass, countless times on tripods and it just isn't true.

Bear in mind this is a camera aimed at either studio photographers or landscape shooters who probably have some Canon EF glass to use. I doubt this is anyones first Canon rodeo (bar potentially mine of I got a stonking deal on it). I've seen so many Canon stuff on workshops etc it's not a system I'd worry about using.

Consider the following:

A lot of my shots don't even utilize the full DR of what I have (the exposure sits comfortably within either end of the histogram). Particularly with Long lenses that frame a small part of an overall scene. I can think of many shots I've taken where I wouldn't even utilize the dynamic range of this 5dsr. In this case expose to the right, and bring the blacks back in post - quick slider in LR or do it in curves/levels in whatever you edit on.

However a lot of shots in landscape photography exceed that of the dynamic range of a modern sensor or even the medium format sensor in my 645z and that of the Nikon D850. What then - you just either blend exposures or use the grad filters that @LongLensPhotography hates so much. I think they're fine but he hates them. That's fine. If you blend just buy a stack of memory cards and some extra storage for your PC.

What features do you think this camera lacks - and for £1290 on a grey site what do you think is better? It has a nice big ovf - decent AF (for static subjects anyway), live view (ok missing live view histogram - one feature I'd miss but metering is good on these cameras as are previews at the back give an idea of the histogram and exposure on R, G and B channels as well as overall luminescence values) - trust me - those who want this camera will understand these and will achieve optimum exposure second time around if they goose it first time around.

Given the res, the price and the vast array of used/new EF mount canon glass out there this camera is sound for 7yrs.

Here is the thing about Sony cameras, and mirrorless in general that I find makes things hard.

1. They feel small and fiddly. The best one handing wise is the Panasonic S1r. It's nice a and big. With a big lens on they don't handhold well, and on a tripod can tip forward. A tripod collar for a heavy lens fixes that though. But I cannot abide the small size.
2. The big one. They let in f*** tons of sensor dirt. I mean all the time. You will spend ages in PP cloning it out - and don't think LR catches them all with it's autoremove thing. it doesn't. You'll spend longer cloning out dirt than actually doing your RAW development. If you travel away and change lens a few times and haven't got access to a dust free place to clean the sensor, that will be annoying and in some cases detrimental to your out put. The 5dsr is properly sealed, if you change the lens you have the mirror in the way. It takes many lens changes before it's grubby in there. And for the price you can buy two of them almost for the price of 1 a7r4.
3. The EVF - some love them, others hate them. Guess which camp I fall into
4. Your point about the multi lens adaptability is valid - but with all systems the best ones are probably native to the system so you just use these. And how many lenses do most have. I am down finally to 4 and it's liberating.
5. Google PDAF banding.

I understand where you're coming from. I am sure you know that I am already aware of blending shots, grads etc - but obviously with more DR the need to use those methods is reduced further, saving time.

I am also sure you're probably aware I've been using Sony for years now as well.

1. Valid argument, I have a grip on mine so it's more chunky.
2. Not really true, granted probably a little more but I have probably only cleaned my A7RIII sensor once in 6 months and been on multiple trips with it. Just be careful when changing lenses, pretty simple. Rarely have to remove dust spots.
3. True, can't be helped.
4. Good points
5. Never seen this in landscapes so a non-issue for your purposes.

I am just saying there are many better options. I used the A7RII as an example because it is better at a very similar used price.

If you have a bag full of EF lenses and are used to Canon controls and need 50MP it sure is a great investment. It is not for everyone. I still have 5D3 for all the other jobs

What then - you just either blend exposures or use the grad filters that @LongLensPhotography hates so much.

Yes, I hate them :). I would much rather just edit the files from square one rather than counter the effects of filter, and all the softening and artefacts that come with it, let alone deal with the expense of these consumables. At 50MP there is even a good case for removing UV filter for key shots / mid-tele lenses.

nice big ovf

As good as any other 5D series Canon. Tick.

decent AF (for static subjects anyway)

As good as 5D mk3 or mkIV and certainly not just for static subjects. It only has a little bit of trouble keeping up with fast subjects running straight to the camera. For video, forget it.

live view (ok missing live view histogram - one feature I'd miss but metering is good on these cameras as are previews at the back give an idea of the histogram and exposure on R, G and B channels as well as overall luminescence values)

No, that is technically not accurate. It has live histogram, but not at the same time as the virtual horizon. I.e. you can see one or the other. And the histogram is based on 8bit jpeg preview, not RAW, same as review display. That really sucks. The best you can do is set the image profile to neutral or faithful and AdobeRGB. This brings it a little closer to reality. It does everything else pretty well.

sensor dirt

This will get some, but never found it to be a major issue on mk3. As long as you don't mind cloning 3-4 spots per shot at f/11 it's fine. f/8 there is nothing there. Compared to older Canons this is a game changer; if sony is a filthy as 1DsII I don't want to go near it.

more DR the need to use those methods is reduced further, saving time.

But it doesn't eliminate that need, only closes the gap a a little bit. Not enough to justify swapping all lenses and living with dust and terrible last decade EVF. mkIV may be a different proposition but it is over 2X more and still raises the lens issue.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I've never actually used that camera so am not talking from experience - just what I've read and heard.

My original point was that when considering alternatives it doesn't look great :)

I understand but on your paper you weighted in favour of Sony because of DR, lens adapability etc... hence your pick :)

I enjoy using both cameras and still do, just been out to Peak District taking my trusty 5DsR after neglecting it for nearly 12 months (used A9 mainly :giggle:) ... the thing I noticed is that bloody battery life drained on 5DsR!

Back