Canon 70-200 f2.8 or f4 is?

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
As the lenses can be bought for about the same price, which would you go for? The image stability or the wider f stop lens?

f2.8 everytime

i find the wider appertures which give higher shutterspeeds more handy as you can stop motion blur, but it depends what your after. there is considerable size and weight difference between the two and you may prefer the smaller f4 version.

i personally went for the sigma 50-150 f2.8 instead, as i preferred the lower weight and the cheaper costs.

so the faster the glass the faster the shutter speed you can use? But I thought that the image stability on the canon is worth 4 shutter stops, so wouldnt you get better images with the f4 is than the f2.8. Think I'm just a little confused what the is actually does.

so the faster the glass the faster the shutter speed you can use? But I thought that the image stability on the canon is worth 4 shutter stops, so wouldnt you get better images with the f4 is than the f2.8. Think I'm just a little confused what the is actually does.

The IS doesn't give you faster shutter speeds which are useless for dynamics.

Things to consider - the F4 IS version is half the weight and also sharper than the F2.8 version as its brand new optics.

All the pros say image stabilisation is'nt any good for sports apart from mode 2 which is handy for panning(y) f2.8 = 1/500 iso3200,f4is 1/250 iso3200 not so good for motorsport,4 stops of is = 1/15 good for really long pans but not much else.does that make sense:thinking:

I think I have got it, the IS lets you use slower shutter speeds to let more light in and reduce the chances of image blur. But the f/2.8 lets the same amount of light in with much faster shutter speeds.... really good for motorsport, fast motion etc.

Thanks Guys

Back