Canon 70-200 IS f2.8 v 70-200 IS f4

Edit My Images
Yes
Looking at one of these lenses for my sports stuff (rugby and football). Which is going to be the best? I'd previously assume the f2.8 for the speed, but I hear the IS on the f4 is 4 stop...

Very confused! :help:

For me the main deal breaker for the 2.8 came down to weight. I tend to carry my gear whilst out hiking and the extra WOULD make a difference after a full day.

I think I was lucky to have the chance to play with both before commiting to buy aswell. Do you know anyone that has either 'cos at the end of the day it's a big investment to make without at least a basic test drive.

The differences are:
- Cost: about 300 squiddles difference
- f2.8: obvious really, or at least it should be if you are considering blowing £1000 on a lens
- WEIGHT : the f2.8 is heavy 1.5kg as opposed to the f4 which is half that.
- IS : on the f2.8 is 3 stop and 4 on the f4 version. It's 1 stop better.

I've got the f2.8 version and love it. I use it wide open quite a lot. Its got a luverly bokeh
Had I bought the f4 version I'd always have been asking myself if I could have managed with the f4 as for slow/stationary objects in low light situations the extra stop IS "might" compensate....
("might" because its a mechanical thing that "should" do the right thing, but :shrug:)
I decided that I could live with the extra weight, and know that the glass was as fast as I could get.

IS is very good and I leave it on all the time, but I wouldnt want to have to rely on it.

My 2p

Canon claim that the 70-200 f2.8 IS is a 3 stop improvement on shutter speed, whether the F4 4 stop range is be due to it's weight, or better IS I don't know.

However with sports photography you're going to be using as high a shutter speed as possible to stop the action I would have thought, so probably the difference in IS performance becomes a little less important. The extra stop may be of more advantage.

I would(have done myself) save some money(~£300) by buying the non is version of 70-200mm f2.8 - you are shooting action so would need 1/500 - 1/1000 shutter speed to freeze action, its not IS that you need. put the money saved into a 1.4 mk2 extender and a good solid monopod.

The extra stop of IS on the f/4 is at the wrong end of the scale so it's no good for sports where a high shutter speed is important. The f/2.8 on the other hand gives you another stop in the right direction as well as giving the AF more light to work with.

I currently have both f2.8 IS and f4 IS.
The weight of the 2.8 means it is going to be sold soon.
I wanted to live with both for more than a few moments play in a shop, and have not even taked the 2.8 outside yet, but the f4 is brilliant. The 2.8 is also a large thing to poke into a face if wanting to get close in, the f4 is not so obtrusive, though for sports, this is not an issue - also, as said before, IS is not usually needed for sports, I imagine..
Sadly, i have discovered via a TP member that Kerso is selling them cheaper than he was and with the Canon cashback, I need to hold on to mine till after christamas or loose too much money - seems sort of wrong to have it sitting in its pouch !

Thanks for all the comments. I had thought the 2.8 would come into it's own for speed and low light. I have the 100-400 already and am used to hand holding that, so weight shouldnt be an issue. Think I'll look at hiring a 2.8 for the weekend and see how it goes.

Steve - Kerso is ace, but a real bummer when you're trying to sell lens or bodies yourself!

I had a similar choice a few months back and opted for the 2.8 is. I too have the 100-400 and i feel they go together rather well. I think as others have if i hadnt have got the 2.8 i would always wonder what i was missing, and as for the weight i wasnt too bothered as the 100-400 aint exactly light either!!

Back