Canon 70-300 nano is usm focal length issue?

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
Hi all, been using the latest version of canons 70-300 is, nano usm version. Across my M50 and 7dmk2 when shooting at 300mm, it actually reports on the camera play back info and in zoner editing software as 283mm. I have never come across this before, could other users let me know if they get the same please. Unless I am missing something, but I just can't see what would cause it. Thanks in advance.

Just looking in Lightroom 5.3 at some shots taken with my wife's EF 70-300 IS Nano USM attached to my 7DII at 300mm and her 80D at 300mm, the EXIF shows 300mm. Not checked in camera, but can have a bash later this week if that helps.

I bet you were shooting something fairly close, and what you've experienced is just ordinary focus breathing.

Just looking in Lightroom 5.3 at some shots taken with my wife's EF 70-300 IS Nano USM attached to my 7DII at 300mm and her 80D at 300mm, the EXIF shows 300mm. Not checked in camera, but can have a bash later this week if that helps.
Thanks for that.
I bet you were shooting something fairly close, and what you've experienced is just ordinary focus breathing.
No, not shooting close, I shall check though to see if it does alter over distances. I didn't think cameras could record focus breathing as a focal length, just visually notable.

I didn't think cameras could record focus breathing as a focal length, just visually notable.
You're probably right. The lens is set to 300mm, it thinks it's 300mm, it reports 300mm, and neither the lens nor the camera knows any better. Sorry for confusing the matter.

Ok, tried it on my 7DII and the missus' 80D, both report 300mm.
Also tried it on my EOS-M and it seems that no focal length is shown on pressing the info button.

Back