Canon 760D Which Lens For Filming?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey you lot,
I’m Ben, I’d like some advice from you if you can please?

I have my 760D which I bought new when it was released and it’s great for photos but now I need to use it for filming. I’ve bought various lenses including STM ones but the focusing is very poor and slow even in daylight.

Now I know this camera isn’t meant for filming full time and it’s a low end camera however it’s all I have so I want to make it the best it can be. So can anyone offer me some help with which lens would make this body focus faster and keep the focus once it’s found please?

I need one that’s ideal for Vlogging such as an 18-55mm.

I’m excited to hear what you can tell me!
many thanks!
Ben.

Hi Ben

I have a range of USM, STM and standard AF lenses with my 80D and find the best (most silent/quickest to focus) to be the primes - eg, EFS24mm STM, EF50mm STM - probably because they let the most light in with their wide apertures.

As for zooms, the EFS15-85 USM does a pretty good job, though the 80D does pick up focus noise. The EFS55-250STM is surprisingly good too. The best for quick focus is my 70-200is but the is noise is very intrusive.

If you are using an external mic, then focus noise may be less of an issue. I don't know how good the 760D AF is, but I'm pleased with the 80D's speed.

Hi Ben

I have a range of USM, STM and standard AF lenses with my 80D and find the best (most silent/quickest to focus) to be the primes - eg, EFS24mm STM, EF50mm STM - probably because they let the most light in with their wide apertures.

As for zooms, the EFS15-85 USM does a pretty good job, though the 80D does pick up focus noise. The EFS55-250STM is surprisingly good too. The best for quick focus is my 70-200is but the is noise is very intrusive.

If you are using an external mic, then focus noise may be less of an issue. I don't know how good the 760D AF is, but I'm pleased with the 80D's speed.

Morning Paul!

I use an external mic but that still picks up the focus sounds of my other lenses, the STM on I use is silent but very slow with focusing and has trouble keeping the focus once it's found it.
I think I'll look into the ones you mention, I do actually have an EFS24mm which I rarely use but maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance before I labled it as no good haha.

It would be nice to have one that can zoom as well as be good with focus as I'm often exploring buildings and places etc... I'm off to have a look around some websites now!

Thanks Paul :)

Morning Paul!

I use an external mic but that still picks up the focus sounds of my other lenses, the STM on I use is silent but very slow with focusing and has trouble keeping the focus once it's found it.
I think I'll look into the ones you mention, I do actually have an EFS24mm which I rarely use but maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance before I labled it as no good haha.

It would be nice to have one that can zoom as well as be good with focus as I'm often exploring buildings and places etc... I'm off to have a look around some websites now!

Thanks Paul :)
Pleasure - good luck!

Just a note if anyone else has a good inexpensive lens that would suit my needs please let me know :)

Back