Canon 7d Video Help

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all i have a slight issue i was allays under the impression that your shutter speed should be double your recording fps so i was doing a test at 30fps and 1/60 but i get these weird black jittering going through the video. see video below

[youtube]DYMnjYb6kqo[/youtube]

but when i record at 30fps and 1/50 of a second it stops

[youtube]krpAgX3VhVA[/youtube]

Last edited:
Is it the same on the files out of the camera, or is it just after YouTube have encoded it?

Hi thanks for the reply. Its the same on the camera screen while recording and the same when i view on computer and also youtube

Last edited:
Please delete

Last edited:
Please delete double post

artyman said:
Both look OK to me, how are you watching this

If you view the video first video you can see some slight flickering it looks worse on the camera than on youtube

itsme93 said:
...but when i record at 30fps and 1/50 of a second it stops

I'm guessing that you are in the UK or another PAL / 230/240v AC /50hz country?

Sorry, i can't watch the videos, as I'm on a mobile device at the moment, but by the sounds of your description, it sounds like what you are seeing is the effect of recording under incandescent light with a frequency of 50hz, whilst setting a frame rate of 60/30fps.

If you were in the USA where the mains power frequency runs at 60hz, you would have seen the opposite effect, where your 50/25fps video would have had the banding and the 60/30fps would have been OK.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that you are in the UK of another PAL / 230/240v AC /50hz country?

Sorry, i can't watch the videos, as I'm on a mobile device at the moment, but by the sounds of your description, it sounds like what you are seeing is the effect of recording under incandescent light with a frequency of 50hz, whilst setting a frame rate of 60/30fps.

If you were in the USA where the mains power frequency runs at 60hz, you would have seen the opposite effect, where your 50/25fps video would have had the banding and the 60/30fps would have been OK.

Oh right That makes sense thanks. And yes you are right recording under bulb light

I agree, it's not a coding fault, it's your lighting being at a different frequency than the camera.

One thing you can get when you change brightness levels is a coding fault where the transition is not smooth, it happens in stages and it can overshoot. So a small change in level causes a big change in the coder which then corrects. However, YouTube's coder is very good and rarely does this.

Perhaps you could change the thread title to something like "Tutorial: effect of framerate and incandescent lighting".

st599 said:
I agree, it's not a coding fault, it's your lighting being at a different frequency than the camera.

One thing you can get when you change brightness levels is a coding fault where the transition is not smooth, it happens in stages and it can overshoot. So a small change in level causes a big change in the coder which then corrects. However, YouTube's coder is very good and rarely does this.

Perhaps you could change the thread title to something like "Tutorial: effect of framerate and incandescent lighting".

That is really helpful. Thank you much appreciated yeh on camera and on computer it seemed alot worse but as soon as it was rendered to YouTube it improved

Back