Canon 90D single HDR image?

Name
Roger
Edit My Images
No
I have used both Photomatix and Lightroom in the past to produce HDR images using 3 or 5 images and satisfied with the results. Now I have a EOS 90D camera and trying to figure out the method and justifyabilty of using one raw image instead of multiples. There are times when you cannot take multiple images of a scene like street shots and I wondered if I can apply HDR to a situation like this. using the 90D's single shot HDR option. I just need to learn how. Cannot find anything in the online manual. Anybody help?

All the software or camera is doing is reducing the exposure of the image and then blending it with the same image with the exposure increased. You can do that yourself without the need for HDR software and get a much better result.

Don't go down the HDR hole. It's ugly

stages-of-a-photographer.jpg

Last edited:
All the software or camera is doing is reducing the exposure of the image and then blending it with the same image with the exposure increased. You can do that yourself without the need for HDR software and get a much better result.

View attachment 409011
The accuracy of this is outstanding.

As has been said, you can't do true HDR with only one exposure, and could achieve the same results by just editing a single Raw image and using masks to brighten / darken the bits you want. HDR requires blending multiple images.

So you basically want all the disadvantages without the benefits?

And why can you not take multiple frames of street scene?
Like moving people? I have seen street images including moving people whereas it is obvious that it is HDR because of the detail texture. Just wondered how it was done.

Page 251 of the advanced user guide.
It takes 3 images then blends them into 1 jpeg how well I dont know
Good luck

Most (all I have seen) in camera HDR are not good. You have little control.

You can take multiple images of moving objects like people and cars, the HDR software will eliminate the ghosts.

You can process a single image in HDR software, and make use of many of the adjustments which can be used to good effect, but of course you are not going to get the range

I think you can use HDR without falling down the hole :) Much like many other parts of editing, it works if you use it properly, and makes a mess if you don't

Like moving people? I have seen street images including moving people whereas it is obvious that it is HDR because of the detail texture. Just wondered how it was done.
If you really want that fake HDR gritty look you can do that with Clarity and Dehaze in LR. Ugly but there if you really want to.

If you really want that fake HDR gritty look you can do that with Clarity and Dehaze in LR. Ugly but there if you really want to.
That's what I simply referred to as the disadvantages. Texture slider is never touched or goes negative on select surfaces. Clarity max +10, it gets super ugly very quickly after that.
You create texture, colour and shadows with light, but sadly too many still try to tackle with clarity slider.

Let me explain further. After many years in photography, professional and enthusiast, I have used HDR plugins many times in the past to achieve exposure blending without the need for manual exposure adjustment masking and extensive editing with Lightroom and/or Photoshop. Usually on landscapes with extreme tonal ranges, and without resorting to ND filters. I agree that in many cases HDR has a bad name because of gross misuse. Who wants a grunge result anyway? My enquiry was because upon viewing camera inter club competition jpegs and prints, there can be acceptable detail edits that are not overdone but quite acceptable, and indeed win competitions. Is this all achieved just with high pass sharpening not HDR? I think it merits some thought that's all.

Let me explain further. After many years in photography, professional and enthusiast, I have used HDR plugins many times in the past to achieve exposure blending without the need for manual exposure adjustment masking and extensive editing with Lightroom and/or Photoshop. Usually on landscapes with extreme tonal ranges, and without resorting to ND filters. I agree that in many cases HDR has a bad name because of gross misuse. Who wants a grunge result anyway? My enquiry was because upon viewing camera inter club competition jpegs and prints, there can be acceptable detail edits that are not overdone but quite acceptable, and indeed win competitions. Is this all achieved just with high pass sharpening not HDR? I think it merits some thought that's all.

Your original question was can you use a single image to create and HDR and the answer is no. If the data is not there then it's not there. If the data is there then there is no need for HDR.

Now you're talking about high pass sharpening. I really don't know how these are even related. You're certainly not going to increase the tonal range by using any kind of sharpening.

On a side note, I wouldn't consider the HDR photo merge in LR the same as Photomatixs. LR just takes the best data from each raw file and merges it into a new raw file giving you more data to play with when editing. Photomatixs uses tone mapping which is what creates those god awful HDR images that have a bad name. However subtle editing in LR is still required to keep the image looking natural and can still easily be overdone.

Last edited:
Just get the light right. No need to destroy the files

Back