Canon A1 mirror squeak / cough

Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone any recommendations for getting my Canon A1 mirror squeak / cough fixed? There are services offered on auction sites that are relatively inexpensive, has anyone tried them?
Thanks,
Tenubracon.

Added to wrong forum. Mods, please movet his to the film forum, thanks.

Last edited:
Have a look here

For what it's worth - most of the cheap ebay "repairs" consist of one drop of oil via a hypodermic needle to the correct spot, and it goes quiet for another 12 months or so. That MIGHT be what you want - i.e. enough to quieten it down, and sell it as recently serviced with canon cough sorted. If you're looking for a repair that'll make it last another 30+ years then you're probably going to be out of luck - I would think that the requisite parts - mirror bearings/bushings etc. are going to be rarer than Chicken lips these days. Only source for parts seems to be a donor camera, and as the main reason for failure in these cameras IS the mirror/damper mechanism it's a tough one. I'm dreading the day when my A-1 starts to squeak - Might have to source a F1 body, just in case :LOL:

Last edited:
surely a replacement small phosphor bronze bearing would be easy enough for a model engineer to make.

anyone got an old Canon A1 with full on bronchial bird-flu cough they want rid of for next to nothing, I'd be interested in having a look at the problem (we have some very good engineers here at work).

Miles H. Whitehead Photographic Engineer
Phone: 01732-848358
Fax: 01732-848358
Email: MWcamerarepairs@aol.com
www.MWcamerarepairs.co.uk

59 Barleycorn
Leybourne, West Malling
Kent
ME19 5PS England

Repairs to Professional & Amateur Camera Equipment
OVER 35 YEARS EXPERIENCE OF A WIDE RANGE OF EQUIPMENT

Member of Society of Photo-Technologists

Thnaks, Yardbent, that's fairly local to me.

that's why we put our location in our profile.....;)

spoke to Miles............he's still the cheapest at £38 + P&P

have not sent it yet - but will get it away this month...:bonk:

#
...................UPDATE...........................

Packed & posting Monday - will let you know the results

john

Just done my A1, came from the bottom this time using this link for a guide..mind you it took 4 goes with a drop of oil using a hypodermic needle, anyway the tinny whine and slow mirror movement has gone, and now just get the normal sounding click when the camera is fired and the fast mirror action has returned at 1/1000 sec.
http://www.aldo-net.com/Canon/

AAMOI if you know what to do, you can do it in 5 mins so the advert on ebay for £17.50 to cure squeak is good money if you can get 100's posted to you.

Last edited:
What were the results?

I just knew as soon as Brian posted/opened the thread then somebody would ask.....:LOL:

Miles did a thoroughly good job and my A1 is now as quiet as new - which actually isn't that quiet.......:D

Nathalie decide against Miles fixing her AE-1 purely as shipping from Paris is a bitch

and so kindly donated her Canon FD lenses to me

a nice 135 f2.8
AND....ta-dah- a Sigma Super-Wide 24mm with original 'Sigma Perfect' hood

sorry about that - a wee gloat there......:exit:

Back