Canon A1 Should the shutter still work with a flat battery ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys
CT's A1 for sale reminded me to have a look at mine I've not used it for ages and just found that the the shutter is jammed :crying:
is this because the battery is flat ?
I,ve not got a spare to try but will get one
I do seem to remember that it worked at the flash sync speed with a flat battery but not sure
Pete

Thanks just ordered one hopefully that will sort it
Pete

I remember my Pentax ME super used to work without the battery on flash sync setting could not remember about the Canon

I've had the Canon A1 for a long time and was using it up til I got a 350D
I've still got the FD 70-210 lens will give it a go to see how it compares to digital with 70-200F4

Without a battery it's a paperweright. :D

I forgot to mention Pete - there is of course a battery test button on the camera top plate. If you press the button and the red light flashes a few times the battery is OK. If it doesn't flash, the battery is either in need of urgent replacement or it's pining for the fjiords. ;)

Thanks CT just tried that battery is dead new one on order should be up and running soon :)

Just put in the new battery works a treat now :):) thanks
Pete

JUst bought A1 of ebay... i know if its too good to be true it probably is ..at least 50% of the time on ebay anyway...

I have no doubt the battery is dead but is there no mechanical function on an A! at all. Can't move winding lever and depressing shutter button does nothing. took the lens off and on pentax lenses i'm used to being able to manually move the aperture leaver on the back to test the diaphragm but on this canon 1.8 lens i can't. When i put it back on the body it does go back to being fully open but off the body i can't change the aperture ( i can turn the ring but nothing changes.

so.. is it a lemon or or is it all going to spring into life with a battery? i haven't had a canon since 1988 so excuse my ignorance!!!!!

any help welcomed before I
negotiate a refund!!

My ae1 would do nothing at all, including moving the winder, without a battery.

As for the lens, there should be a little button on the aperture ring, press thatand turn the aperture ring... I believe, though may be wrong, thatll show the action of the blades

JUst bought A1 of ebay... i know if its too good to be true it probably is ..at least 50% of the time on ebay anyway...

I have no doubt the battery is dead but is there no mechanical function on an A! at all. Can't move winding lever and depressing shutter button does nothing. took the lens off and on pentax lenses i'm used to being able to manually move the aperture leaver on the back to test the diaphragm but on this canon 1.8 lens i can't. When i put it back on the body it does go back to being fully open but off the body i can't change the aperture ( i can turn the ring but nothing changes.

so.. is it a lemon or or is it all going to spring into life with a battery? i haven't had a canon since 1988 so excuse my ignorance!!!!!

any help welcomed before I
negotiate a refund!!

With FD Canon lenses you can't move the aperture whilst off the camera unless you know the work around trick. As for the camera body? You'll need a battery unfortunately the Canon designers didn't choose cheap AA batteries like in their next range the "T" series.

BTW I haven't tried my A1 without a battery to see if the winder works etc but it could be the battery went flat with the shutter set to fire or maybe there is a film in it????? Mind you I would have thought in pressing the button on the base plate (rewind button) you could have operated the winder ????

Last edited:
Holy thread revival! :LOL:

excalibur2 said:
With FD Canon lenses you can't move the aperture whilst off the camera unless you know the work around trick.

In the interest of avoiding confusion, I'll say that my advice was based on the lens being on the camera. :)

The A1 was completely battery dependent IIRC. That was one of the things that put me off it at the time. I shot Nikon then - still do occaisonally - and never quite got past the F2 and Canon F1 mindset! I still love the mechanical bodies.

Back