59 Barleycorn
Leybourne, West Malling
Kent
ME19 5PS England

Repairs to Professional & Amateur Camera Equipment
OVER 35 YEARS EXPERIENCE OF A WIDE RANGE OF EQUIPMENT
Member of Society of Photo-Technologists
----------------------------------------------------------------

turnaround 10 days - excellent job with new seals, mirror buffer and cough cured............£38 + £10 RMSD at my request

the top was removed
i know this as the 'surround' of the LED had come loose
although not stated as such, it appears the top was removed to access the mirror mechanism which needed lubrication
which appears to be the correct way rather than a hypodermic needle inserted up into the mechanism to squirt oil

Miles has been very helpful each step of the way
and with advice to relocate the LED surround

so all-in-all ................RECOMMENDED.....(y)

Ta for that.

I may be down that way in a couple of weeks...

the shutter is now ''sweet''.......:D:D:D

FYI.....Miles just told me his email is down - some problem with BT

the shutter is now ''sweet''.......:D:D:D

Wooo-Hoooo - now that's great news John... keep us updated how it works after a few rolls through, just to make sure as it "beds in"... I keep expecting mine to start wheezing, tbh, but if there is someone recommended out there that can sort it, it'll save me buying a T90 as insurance that I can still use the pile of FD glass :LOL:

ok - just loaded a roll of Kodak BW400CN

just need some sunny weather now.. !

ok - just loaded a roll of Kodak BW400CN

Well - my car's booked in for it's MOT on Tuesday, so it's pretty much guaranteed that it's going to be slashing it down with rain/sleet/snow all that day... you should try and get out tomorrow I reckon :LOL:

Use flash?...I'm addicted (y)

mdf1-42crop2-800px.jpg

lovely......:)

i do have a Canon 188 flash but no young models I'm afraid..:LOL:

I've the Canon 300TL for my T90 and Minolta 360 PX for my X700 and am still trying to work out what they can do :eek:.........my 277T with a T70 is a very good combo and I can trust it. For "A" models I've only the AV1 and now that is going to add to my screw collection, but my Nissan 360TW worked well with it.
I wont bore you further with my other flash guns :LOL:

Well - my car's booked in for it's MOT on Tuesday, so it's pretty much guaranteed that it's going to be slashing it down with rain/sleet/snow all that day... you should try and get out tomorrow I reckon :LOL:

well - I'm booked in Tuesday too - 10AM - but Glasgow Southern General for neurological tests on leg muscles

so have the afternoon free in Glasgow - plan to take the Canon A1 + B&W film

He just replied to my email, £35 for a service of my LF lens! Thats half the price of everyone else!

Brian, are you saying that your shot is with flash on camera no set up are anything, because if so it is wonderful, absolutely wonderful.

Brian, are you saying that your shot is with flash on camera no set up are anything, because if so it is wonderful, absolutely wonderful.

Well I do have studio gear (but haven't used it for ages) but just flash on the camera.....the three cameras mentioned with matching flash guns just produce great results...and yes I know natural light is best but I'm addicted :LOL:

I've posted this shot before, but didn't mention that the T70 camera with 277T flash worked out the shot for me, so what more can you ask for something you can buy very cheap. :shrug:

Photo29_29-800px.jpg

BTW Thanks for saying you like my pic, here is the original and as you can see I blackened out the annoying bits:-
mdf1-42-900px.jpg

Last edited:
I'm interested in sending my Pentax to Mr. Whitehead, anyone have any experience in his Pentax CLA'ing? He quoted me a good price and seems to be knowledgeable (didn't doubt it for a second), so just wanting to make absolutely sure.

How much did he quote you? I've used Asahi Photo ltd in London for Pentax based repairs/CLA before and their service is excellent, all of their technicians are Pentax trained and they acquired all the spare parts from Pentax UK for older cameras. Last September I was quoted about £45 for a CLA of my Spotmatic F although I did not have it done in the end as I had to unfortunately use that money something else. They did however repair my dads 50mm f1.7 that wouldn't focus to infinity and the job they did was excellent.

http://www.asahiphoto.co.uk/

My AV1 has been reprieved (it decided to go about 4 stops out).....I took the top off to start stripping down for screws and just checked the exposure meter for the last time and it seemed to come to life WTF! put the top back on and it now works perfectly.
I would think my AV1 is similar to other A models and if you want to oil the mirror mechanism by taking the top off, it's so easy, in fact I didn't bother to record properly all the washers etc as I considered the camera U/S and ended up with a small washer over, anyway the camera works OK. If I was to take the top off again I reckon I can do it in about 3 mins, so don't be scared....also doing seals is easy as well.

s162216: he quoted me £40 + P&P which, even on my tight student budget, I consider to be very good value for money. Asahi Photo wanted £75 including postage.

I've been in contact again with Miles on another matter

and he does appear to be very knowledgeable

and - as important - willing to discuss things before actually sending the camera

so many these day say ''send us the camera - THEN we'll let you know''

once in their hands - difficult to argue about charges then..!

I just got my large format shutter back from Miles and I am very happy. Took just over a week and is now firing like a champ. Cost £45 for the full service which is half the price compared to most places.

Very happy (y)

I just got my large format shutter back from Miles and I am very happy. Took just over a week and is now firing like a champ. Cost £45 for the full service which is half the price compared to most places.

Very happy (y)

excellent...seems he's an OK guy.....:D

my French sis-in-law has been quoted silly prices in Paris to replace a broken battery cover door on her beloved Canon AE-1

Miles quoted ....

''Hello John
Yes I have one in stock, to s/f £25 plus P&P
or service and fit batt door at £48 plus P&P.
Cheers.............Miles''

(y)

I'll write a follow up post to mine as well, since feedback is essential for stuff like this. Lots of communication when requested by email, and the camera was cleaned up and seals fitted and CLA'd quickly. Recommended for sure.

His prices are very reasonable considering how much expertise and how many hours it can take to do some of these CLAs (IMO).

Back