Canon Digital Rebel XT - official!

Edit My Images
Yes
Announced today, the replacement for the DR/300D. See http://www.pma-show.com/review/canon/001_EOS_digital_rebel_xt.html

Also announced - EF-S 18-55 II lens (looks the same as the old one) and EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro lens.

Rebel XT looks good IMO. Note that it does not take the BP-511 batteries, and neither does the new BG-E3 grip.

Rumoured price is £650 inc VAT for the body only, but that may be wrong. :wink:

EDIT/ Another preview: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05021704canon_eos350d.asp showing it as the 350D in either black or silver.

It seems to fit inline with the current range and has the specs that were expected.

nice, should be able to get a battery grip for the 300d a bit cheaper then....

That looks like a mighty fine camera, it has everything i expected from the 300d's replacement. So much so that I can't see much difference between it and the 20D :shock:

From those images the only thing I don't really like is the mode dial, but thats hardly an issue.

I'm sure it's going to get the nikon D70 on the ropes now. 8)

Thats all I need temptation to change my camera !!!!!!

Must admit it looks good and as you say watch out Nikon !

If I've read the previews correctly, the main differences between the 350D and the 20D are: plastic body instead of metal, different proprietary battery, no ISO 3200, no circular wheel thingy on the back, small LCD panel above display instead of top-mounted one, absence of several Custom Functions which may not be useful to most people, 7-point AF instead of 9-point, and about £300.

Having the on/off switch alongside the mode dial is not the cleverest thing Canon has ever done, but in general it looks good enough to sway people away from the D70, and perhaps the 20D. :)

silkstone said:
If I've read the previews correctly, the main differences between the 350D and the 20D are: plastic body instead of metal, different proprietary battery, no ISO 3200, no circular wheel thingy on the back, small LCD panel above display instead of top-mounted one, absence of several Custom Functions which may not be useful to most people, 7-point AF instead of 9-point, and about £300.

Having the on/off switch alongside the mode dial is not the cleverest thing Canon has ever done, but in general it looks good enough to sway people away from the D70, and perhaps the 20D. :)

That was my take on it too silky

In all the time i spent with the 300D, i never had a issue with the power switch being that close to the mode dial,

I'm still getting use to the display being on the top of the body rather than above the LCD on the rebel.

Now that i'm almost familar with the way the 20D operates, the big jog wheel would be hard to live with out, getting round menus and images is sooooooooo quick now.

ISO3200 is a custom function on the 20D with it's default set to OFF, so i'm guessing that within 6 months those clever wasia people will have hacked it and given the new camera much of the functionality of the 20d

As for the 9 point AF Vs 7, i'll reserve judgement for a wee while to allow me more shooting time.

The 20D also has a slightly faster shutter than reported, 1/8000 V's 1/4000 and again a smidge quicker flash sync at 1/250

The main points that pushed me towards the 20d were
faster shutter than the 300d
A1 servo when I wanted it
2nd curtain flash
fec.

all of which have arrived with the new rebel,
do i feel miffed and wished i'd waited for the rebelII, Not a chance i love the 20D

Yeah, on first judgements the 350D makes a great buy if you don't want the extra features on the 20D but it certainly doesn't make the 20D obsolete.

silkstone said:

The 300/350D also don't have ISO display on the extra LCD, quite a big oversight I think

SDK said:
The 300/350D also don't have ISO display on the extra LCD, quite a big oversight I think

That's my biggest moan about all the Canon DSLRs. AFAIK Even the 1D cameras don't show ISO permanently on the display - only in the viewfinder. (Tell me I'm wrong here. :wink: ) Reeeedikulus. :x

A quick press of the 300ds' iso button will show the current iso on the lcd, another press and it's back to the normal display.

I very much like the look and feature set of the 350 but I'd have been far happier if they hadn't changed so much physically about it. If I were to upgrade I'd need to buy a new battery grip and batteries too, that adds a fair whack to the total cost of upgrading.

I also find it strange that they've chosen to reduce the size of the camera and opt for a new battery design.

It would have been the ideal upgrade path for those seasoned rebel users :(

Steep said:
A quick press of the 300ds' iso button will show the current iso on the lcd, another press and it's back to the normal display.
Yes, I know that :wink: , and it's the same on the 10D and 20D, but you wouldn't want to have to do that for speed and aperture would you?

Hmm, I wonder when this will surface and be available in the shops.

I was looking at the *ist DS, which I really like the look of, especially the size and the fact that it can take AAs (also an advantage is that my Dad has Pentax glass, and I may be able to steal/borrow some of that). However, the XT looks rather nice, given that it's 8MP, and has better inbuilt metering it seems. I've not seen that many photo samples from the ist DS, but the ones from the ist D are extremely impressive.

A couple of questions:

- Do you think the lack of ISO100 on the ist DS is a problem?
- Is the 8MP vs 6.1MP going to offer that much more flexibility?

I've not looked at cameras for a while now, I've been concentrating on taking shots when I have been shooting.

Any help is much appreciated.

(I must just mention that the 20D is out of my orice range, I'll have ~£1,000 for camera/memory/warranty - whIch I should be able to do with both the ist DS, and the 350D)

Cheers,
Rob

I doubt it will be long before we see the first batch hitting the shelves, if the recent 20D distribution is followed then availability will not be an issue unlike the mess Canon made with the 10D roll out.

As is the usual all new models get compared to their bigger brothers and with the launch of this model we can see it happening all over again. If you read all the information floating around you will find that this model doesn’t use the same sensor as the 20D but the one used is up from 6mp to 8mp. I very much doubt that this will be an issue though as all the sensors released and used in Canons range of DSLRs have been excellent both in terms of resolution and their ability to suppress noise. Until images are available from production models we won’t know for sure though.

As far as this is being judged features wise, Canon appear to have answered the majority of complaints levelled at the 300D. You can now choose metering modes and focus modes manually, and in any combination. Canon has also allowed flash exposure compensation control over both the onboard and external Speedlights. That pretty much gets rid of every complaint ever thrown at the 300D.

Canon have not however made it match the spec of the 20D nor have they made it as well, again choosing for plastic instead of metal as used on the 20D. The slower shutter release speed, slower flash sync, slightly lower top iso setting, lower resolution, slower fps and plastic body alone justify the cost difference. Finally, if anyone has used a 10D, 20D or any other Canon camera with a jog wheel on the back, that alone is one feature that really is invaluable once it has been used. Trust me on that one ;)

I am sure that this model will be making the likes of Nikon and Pentax take notice. Nikon had the 300D beat with the d70 towards the end of its life (bearing in mind the price differences) Canon have now replied and once again moved the game to a whole new level specs wise. Lets just wait for the offical sample pictures and field shots by the many people who will be scrambling for this model. If they are as good as I expect, this is going to be a very popular camera.

The only advert I've seen for the 350D so far is at CameraWorld - £750 for the camera + 18-55 lens, available 20th March allegedly. :)

oooh my birthday!

So which of you is going to do the decent thing and buy me one? :)

Steep said:
oooh my birthday!

So which of you is going to do the decent thing and buy me one? :)

Go on then I'll be the first to say no :p

I saw this as a new post and read the opening thread only to be very confused until I realised EG had dug up a post from 5 years ago!
You bloody git :p

I saw this as a new post and read the opening thread only to be very confused until I realised EG had dug up a post from 5 years ago!
You bloody git :p

Same, I thought am I missing something!:p

What's betting that if I (or anyone else) had done this there would be words had...?

:cautious:

Back