Canon discontinuing their DSLR lenses (link)

Name
David
Edit My Images
No

hardly a surprise, they have openly said RF will be the focus going forward. They will only develop for EF mount is there is a particular demand for something.
They'll probably keep the popular lenses in production and discontinue ones that don't sell as much.

While Sony a-mount was never really popular like Canon EF or Nikon F I imagine they'll follow the same lifecycle/fate. Basically canon and Nikon won't ever announce the mounts are dead and will probably continue to sell their DSLR and lenses for as long as they sell. But no new lenses, bodies or updates will come.

Last edited:
I suppose the question is if that means your old ones decrease or increase in value.

I suppose the question is if that means your old ones decrease or increase in value.

Probably depends on the lens. Some Minolta a-mount lenses have become collectors lenses like 200mm f4 macro or their 3x-1x macro. They are silly expensive and hard to source.
So I imagine similar EF lenses like 200mm f1.8 or f2 and MP-E etc might increase in value with the ones like 24-105mm f4 or 50mm f1.4 might lose their value a lot.

There just might be enough lenses in the system to keep people ticking over for a while. Unsold FD lenses were still cropping up a couple of years ago but I haven't seen any recently. The rarer more expensive lenses made in low volumes may be hard to find but used ones will still appear on the market. So, overall, Canon users will I'm sure still be pretty well served for quite some time yet.

Back