Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM

Edit My Images
No
I'm thinking of making this my first 'expensive' purchase.

At the moment I use my Nifty Fifty + Raynox 202 for my macro work. Also using on it's own for portrait shots.

I also bought a 28-300 Sigma a while back, which doesn't really get used that much.

I want to improve my macro work but also delve into more portait work. So reading reviews the Canon 100mm macro seems like the right choice.

Basically I'm just asking for opinions before I take the plunge. It's either a weekend in Rome or the lens, and seeing as I hope to study photography at Uni, this would be the better long term choice.

Anyone have any examples of portrait work using the lens? Or maybe even landscape.

Cheers.

I've only tried my friend's one a couple of times.

I think this photo is the only photo I have taken with it, and probably not a good example as a portrait lens, but here it is anyway.

The apparent vignetting was added later.

I think it's good for portraits and would seem perfect since you like to do macro as well.

Between a weekend in Rome and lens... I'd choose a lens - only because I love gear :D

This picture, if the link works, won me 3rd place in the togsprint competition a few months back, taken with a Canon 100mm marco sold to me by that kind man Canon Bob - it is a noisy lens when focusing compared to my other lenses (non USM or something) but certainly works pretty well - well worth hunting down !
http://www.togsprint.co.uk/images/comp/Apr-3.jpg

Back