Canon EF 400mm DO IS USM Mk1/Mk2 Owners thread

ok then have a look of flicky i'm at a loss:banghead:

No worries about not being able to see the Hare photo :) - the in depth reply has been most helpful and appreciated.

When you say most users have “probably gone without a mirror”.
I assume you mean to a mirrorless body?

I’ll be using the lens on a R5. Is there known issues with the DO on the R series or something?

Yes sorry for being cryptic James exactly that without a mirror= mirrorless and no I wan't implying any knowledge of any issue...just that as folks have swapped most seem to have gone with dedicated lenses......................I've seen some fabulous images made with the DOii and DLSR....many prior to mirrorless becoming so popular :) Think the combo will be fab James!!

Gordon if memory serves the answer to your Q might be already lurking in this thread, maybe try RRS? ......@George I suspect you can help???

forgive me both I am a complete wreck laid waste by a bug and still grafting like a good un. on site is brutal.....my head is banging like i've just partied for 2weeks solid :banghead: So struggling to think. Damn thought I had it beat yesterday

hey ho onwards and downwards

Stuart, thanks for your reply especially as you are under the weather. The link on the post you mention seems to take me to a replacement foot for the 300mm. I will email jobu to see if they do one.

Yep, that’s trade in for ya :D

I’m away for work for a couple of days; so I’ll have to have a good think as to which of the two is best. But knowing my luck it’ll sell anyway before then :)

Would you happen to have any pics posted on here anywhere that you’ve taken with it by any chance?
George was kind enough to give me a trial use of his lens for an afternoon at Knockhill. I’m happy to confirm the AF is great, images sharp and in good condition. I was thinking of getting one as a lighter weight option to replace my 200-400. I’m still sort of regretting not buying it at the time, but would have needed to sell mine first.

Does anyone make a replacement Arca swiss compatible replacement foot for the 400 DO ii ?

Yes. Really Right stuff do one, unfortunately I sold mine to WEX when I sold the lens however they should still have it I suspect.

It's the same one as is on the 300 2.8.

I've also got some RRS clamps for the Wimberly which I much prefer to the screw ones and I'll be selling these soon when I get a moment.

George.

Yes. Really Right stuff do one, unfortunately I sold mine to WEX when I sold the lens however they should still have it I suspect.

It's the same one as is on the 300 2.8.

I've also got some RRS clamps for the Wimberly which I much prefer to the screw ones and I'll be selling these soon when I get a moment.

George.
Thanks George. Indeed Wex did have it. They don't now, its on its way to me!!

Ahh bless you George for chiming in, as far as I recollect it was George whom told me about the RRS foot Gordon..............simply I've never bought the tripod to stick the lens on that's why I don't own one..the lens is a handholder's dream ( leastways to a simple lad like me).. Ha ha and Gordon thanks so much for the reply, I'm proper dog ruff right now, mind The lads at work let me come come with a rather nice offcut of carpet , pulled from a skip..................... so after a ten hour day on site the thing is now cut and laid, hmm make that 12 and a 1/2 but my lady is smiling like a cheshire cat so i'm a happy train wreck if not my own worst enemy :LOL:

So glad you are sorted buddy...that's lovely, Forgive me not knowing you own a DO ii, I adore this lens but know I have so little knowledge compared to your good self

Lads it might be here or maybe the 1DXii thread, but as an aside, in one of the two threads Both George and Bob @ canon Bob( could someone link Bob into this please if i'm astray, I really am taking a beating) talked to me about battery chargers............... think Bob actually pulled one apart actually. it was to do with the lack of a 12V input in the DXii charger and chrging Canon's batts in a camper...........

..........................anyway my good lady told me today that there was a case where a NON canon charger set fire and incredibly sadly burnt the owners house.......does anyone have any details?

Sort of an awareness post lads and also digging for more info, forgive me but i'm simply to clattered to dig but would also like folks to be aware, if all this is true , it's an extraordinarily sad tale , which I can't back up as yet. It would break my heart of this happened to a fellow member here especially as you 'orrible lot have been so kind to me thank you :)

take care

stu

Stu, I think George is responsible for a couple of people owning or wanting the 400 DO. He was kind enough to let me have a play with his a few years ago when he was in Bournemouth. At that time I owned a 600mm f4 which was very heavy. At the same time as George was selling his I was considering doing the same due to lack of use but could not bring myself to do it because it is such a lovely lens.

George was kind enough to give me a trial use of his lens for an afternoon at Knockhill. I’m happy to confirm the AF is great, images sharp and in good condition. I was thinking of getting one as a lighter weight option to replace my 200-400. I’m still sort of regretting not buying it at the time, but would have needed to sell mine first.

Yeah, I’ve decided to give the 400mm a go.

Whichever one I bought; I was intent on using the extenders with it anyway.
And as nice as a 300mm 2.8 option in my bag sounded; I can’t really think of anything I’d regularly use it for without extenders.

Pity you hadn't decided that a few weeks ago!!...could have saved yourself a few bob and helped in my retirement!!!

Pity you hadn't decided that a few weeks ago!!...could have saved yourself a few bob and helped in my retirement!!!
Yep. But ah well, there it is… :)

Looking ‘on paper’ - it seems a similar size to my 200mm. So I’ll have to search through the rucksack range now and find one suitable for them to fit snug (while hooded) on my gripped R5.

Well, it’s just arrived.

Can’t believe how light it is compared to my 200mm for a similar sized lens.
It almost feels like a toy in comparison :D

Just need some decent weather to go and give it a spin now.

Back