Canon EF 400mm f5.6/1120mm f16

Name
Douglas
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

My ne lens arrived today, and whilst it's early, and the weather is foul, I have to say that I'm quite please with the results so far.

The EF 1.4 II that I purchased with it seems to be all I expected of it.

The real reason for posting this however, is that I have been pleasantly surprised......... my Kenko 300DG x2 extender works perfectly with this lens, giving full AF and metering on my 1D Mk2N body, indeed, with the 1.4 fitted first, then the x2, the combination will still AF quite readily. I think this is because the Kenko X2, unlike the EF extenders does not transmit it's presence to the body. The combination therefore signals f8, and the camera meters accordingly, and so far, the exposure looks spot on.

This gives an astonishing focal length to the combo of 1120mm @ f16 or 1456mm when you take the cameras crop factor into account. The results with both extenders have been average so far, essentially because of todays light conditions, but I have every reason to expect better when conditions improve.

It's not a combination I will normally use however, for most purposes 400mm is fine, with the extra reach of the extender 1.4 when needed.

Well done for choosing such a great lens.... I got mine about 18 months ago and it has been my most used Lens in the last 12 months

it is tack sharp and very easy to handle (light as a feather) and with the canon 1.4x converter works like a champ

however it is not nearly as good with the 2x converters with soft looking images that I am non too keen on

other than that I think you will like what you see, when we get some 'brighter' weather

enjoy your purchase
Cheers Chris

Nice purchase Doug - look forward to the results :)

I have been very curious what the AF performance of this lens would be like on a 20d with a 1.4. I know the canon ones will stop the AF but if you tape the pins or use a 3rd party.

Im very tempted but would like the option of the 1.4 and retain even a slow AF.

Superb lens Doug, You WILL enjoy using that..;)

so show and tell..

Back