Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM

Name
derek
Edit My Images
Yes
Could some one please confirm if this lens will take a canon EF1.4x11 extender as one site I visited said it wont , i could do with a little more reach in the garden, thanks.

I have the 1.4x Extender which I use with a 70-200mm f2.8 IS L lens. This give the equivalent of 98-280mm f4 but retains the IS and other automated functions. To the best of my knowledge, it should work with L lenses so should work with the f4. Just Googled and found a review but you could Google this or look on the Canon website. One thing that you should know is that autofocus on some Canon Cameras may be seriously deteriorated for apertures of f5.6 and above. So with my f2.8 equating to f4 focusing is still fast and accurate but a colleague at a birds in flight photo shoot had to give up with his f4/extender combination as focussing was too slow. I also recall another Club member with the f4 offering a sizeable sum of money in addition for a straight swap with my f2.8; of course I refused. To be honest the 280mm is not really long enough even for small birds in parks and gardens but I do not have anything longer at the moment.

Dave

It is indeed compatible with the EF1.4x II according to Canon's website.

Thanks for the replies, what prompted me to ask was after googling i came across this in Photography life

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Specifications
Lens Specifications
* Supplied accessories may differ depending on country or area
Lens TypeZoom Lens
Focal Length70-200mm
Mount TypeCanon EF
FormatFull Frame / FX
Compatible Format(s)35mm Film / Full-Frame Digital Sensor Canon (APS-C)
Compatible with TeleconvertersNo
Zoom Ratio2.8x
Maximum Reproduction Ratio1:4.76
Image Stabilizer (Image Stabilization)Yes

That may be because back in the (film) day some Canon bodies didn't autofocus at f/5.6 and below. Manual focus still worked...

Also depending on which version of the Canon extender you had, sometimes there is a protruding front element which won't allow the mating with a flush rear element of the target lens.

Back