Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM Test

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Haven't posted for a long time.... I recently picked up the above lens. I always wanted to have another wide angle lens after owning the EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM a few years ago. I had read lots of reviews on this new budget wide angle lens and was keen to start using it. Okay, so the caveat here is that this is a pretty crude test. I took one image from the handful I took yesterday and looked at the image at 100% in PS, after converting from RAW, only adjusting the lens profile. No other adjustments made. Below are 2 images, one 100% crop in the centre, and the other 100% crop centre left. So, maybe the glowing reviews had me expecting too much, but I'm fairly disappointed in the level of sharpness in the lens. Centre is pretty good, but elsewhere it is very average. This is comparible with all images taken so far, and various focal lengths and apertures. I will try again with better light. This was an overcast day in the UK. This is shot at 10mm, f8, ISO250, AF One shot, with a Canon 80D

I'd be keen to know your thoughts. Maybe this is inline with a £250 budget lens afterall.

Centre test first, then centre left.

100% crop test centre by Colin, on Flickr

100% crop test centre left by Colin, on Flickr

Thanks,

Colin

Back