Canon EF100-400mm L IS USM Image Stab.Lens.

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been addressing the thorny problem of my Wish List, and basically not wishing to need a couple of native bearers when I go out, I'd like as small a range of lenses as possible. With that in mind, this lens expensive as it is, begins to make sense for me at some stage in the future. I've heard stories of the push/pull zoom mechansm sucking in dust which I find difficult to believe with a Canon optic of this quality, nevertheless I'd appreciate any experience of this from anyone owning one.

I'd also be grateful for any views on it's practicality, weight etc, and if it suffers from any 'soft' areas in the zoom range.

Thanks in advance.

Matt from these forums has one and will no doubt be along soon to offer his extensive experience and personal views in using this baby. I have shot with Matt on many occasions and he kindly gave me the opportunity to use the lens as it was on my list of possible zooms. I used it for a few hours while on the Fare Islands while attempting to photograph Puffins. My opinion of it is that optically it is superb, the IS works well as should be expected from a lens of this price but the weight, size and push pull zoom really put me off. After a shot while I started to struggle with the weight and found that I was missing shots due to this, I found the zoom action to be awkward and this added to my poor capture success rate.

As you have touched on the zoom has been reported to cause problems due to the air inside the lens needing to go somewhere when the zoom range is altered (it either has to leave the lens as the zoom is closed or enter the lens as it is extended). If we are to believe Canon when they state that it is weather sealed when connected to a Camera then the air has to go into the camera and this could cause contamination of the sensor screen. I believe on the day that I used the lens I was not affected by this at all but other definitely have reported issues in this area.

My main concerns therefore are the physical size, its weight and the awkwardness of the push pull zoom. The benefits are a good workable range, impressive IS and stunning results.

My advice would be to actually use one if you are seriously considering this lens as it is a lot of money to spend and then find it may not be your cup of tea. Some people swear by it and others swear at it ;)

That’s just my 2p’s worth.

Thanks Steve, food for thought there. Having used push/pull zooms before, I have to say, they vary enormously, the action has to be precise positive and light. Difficult to achieve I'd imagine.

The push/pull resistance is variable by the user on the lens, you rotate a section (collar) of the lens to adjust it to suit. I still found it tricky to use though. :?

I've seen some excellent results from the 100-400, but the push-pull zoom put me off. I also thought I'd probably use it mostly at 300-400, so I bought the 300 f/4L and a 1.4x TC instead. So far I reckon this was the better choice for me.

silkstone said:
I've seen some excellent results from the 100-400, but the push-pull zoom put me off. I also thought I'd probably use it mostly at 300-400, so I bought the 300 f/4L and a 1.4x TC instead. So far I reckon this was the better choice for me.

I opted for the 200mm F4 L and 1.4x TC instead and I am extremely happy with the results this combination returns. they also have a big advantage in size and weight but loose out in length and IS. It's horses for courses with this level of equipment and whatever YOU chose will return stunning results, the thing to remember is that if you buy something and find it difficult to use or that it doesn't meet your requirements, you will not use it.

BTW Silky, The 300MM is next on my list, I recently had to turn down the chance of getting a excellent used version for £650 as funds are a little depleted currently, why do these offers have a habit of coming at the wrong time? :crying:

The Red Arrow shots in my Gallery were all taken with the 100-400. The "push-pull" arrangement does take some getting used to; that airshow was my first outing with the lens. I am hoping to get to Silverstone next week to use it (F1 tyre testing). :)

Odd, until I bought the rebel, the only zooms I'd ever used were push pull types, I found it strange twisting to zoom!

I love my 100-400 and I much prefer the push/pull zoom to the twisting type. To have the ability to go from 100 to 400mm in one quick push is amazing.
The lens is not weather sealed. Dust only enters/exists in the end camber, just like any other lens. Keep that dust free and you'll be fine.

The IS modes are superb and the panning mode (IS Mode2) works very well.
The MTF chart shows that it's very sharp at 400mm and only a touch behind the 70-200 lens at 100mm.

Sure it's an expensive lens but no other zoom comes close to it.

One of my better buys. Push/Pull is something you adapt to and it becomes second nature once you have, but that's really down to setting the collar to the right stiffness to suit you. Sharp as a tack at extended lengths and the IS is very good indeed. As SDK^ said, dust prevention is simple and I'd say, despite the lack of weather sealing, it's better at kepping dust out than the 17-40L, which is sealed.

I bought the 100-400 because of the range of the zoom and image quality.
Being a wildlife enthusiast I knew I would be using this at its longer end more often than not, so the 300 wasn't an option for me.
On occasions the lens does seem heavy, especially when I try to use it continuously without a tripod.

The push pull was a concern for me.
Originally I thought I would have lots of sensor contamination problems through using this lens, but after using it for nearly a year this is no longer an issue.
The only way your going to get dirt on the sensor while using this lens, is when you do zoom blur shots.
If the shutter isn't open the dirt shouldn't get through.

If I was thinking of buying this lens now, I would seriously consider the 300 f4 with tele converter.
It will be slightly sharper and you should still be able to use the autofocus with TC.

It all depends on what you want to use it for.

Thanks Matt and everyone for their comments. The real concern for me is the weight, because I can see this lens being on the camera 80% of the time with such a useful zoom range .Oh well it's going to be a while before I Have the readies anyway, so plenty of time to think about it.

When I first got the lens it felt heavy but now i'm used to it and it doesn't feel heavy at all.
The 24-70L isn't far off the weight and that is on my camera 95% of the time as a walk around lens.

You guys are wimps and should join a gym :wink: :p

Back