Canon EFS 60mm U Macro USM + Speedlite430EX

Vix

Edit My Images
No
Hello all,
Im looking for an excellent portrait lens to go with my Canon 350D this is what I have been recommended by my local camera shop. Does anyone have any opinions on this lens? Is there something better out there? obviously there is a budget and I have found this lens for 229bucks and the flash gun for 169bucks.
still looking at studio lighting to acompany this but thats a whole other thread!
thanking you.

The EF-S 60 is primarily a macro lens that will double up for portrait work although it's a little slow to give you all the options you might need. I would go for either a 50/1.4 or 85/1.8 which come in at a very similar price but allow a little more creativity.

I'm not a portrait person myself and maybe others have more valid opinions.

Bob

thanks Canon Bob (cool name!)

I was just wondering as digital will turn that 60mm into a 90mm. i think I sort of understand why - something to do with the size of the sensor?.

forgot to say its f2.8..

I had the ef-s 60 when I had a 20d, it's a fantastic little lens, the f2.8 focuses quickly and for a non L lens the optics are very very sharp.

The field of view on it, would be the same as a 96mm on a full frame camera which is almost ideal for portraits. I found that the 50mm distorts facial features too much.

I also still use the 430ex flash, it's a nice flash.....but if i was buying again i'd pay the extra and get the 580ex just for the wireless ability and extra power.

Back