Canon EOS 350D to EOS 30D ??

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Being on a limited budget (as many of us are!) I'm contemplating moving up to the 30D from my 350D........

Basically I'd like honest answers - Barring the obvious build quality and other shooting/speed advantages(I don't do many sports shots) will I noticed any 'real' marked image quality improvement over my 350D seeing as it uses the same DigicII processor??

Has anyone got side by side comparison pictures to show any noticeable difference in image quality?

Thanks for looking.....
Steve

No image improvement but a brighter viewfinder, better AF, better build, larger and better controls are about it really.

Image quality Im not sure, as Im not really a pixel peeper in that sense. I just take it as written that the camera can give me a good image (obv if I get it right, hehe).

However, handling, and usability, you'll see a definite improvement.
If you can make the jump with minimal outlay, I would definitely suggest it. It's the upgrade path I took a couple of years ago, and I haven't regretted it.

Handling yes - its a much nicer body to hold after the small 350 body

Image wise not a lot if anything

sorry for a small hijack but will the quality be worse from the 30d than a 400d, i am also looking at upgrading

Image quality is more likely to be improved by better lenses :)

seeing as you can purchase a 40d for the same price as a 30d (after claiming the cashback) why not get the 40d?

seeing as you can purchase a 40d for the same price as a 30d (after claiming the cashback) why not get the 40d?

Didn't know that.........stop it!!............I can see my hard earned cash rapidly dwindling........yet again..........:D

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk

cheapest 30d is same price as cheapest 40d with cash back. your cash won't dwindle any faster.....

just remember the cash back offer only applies to 40d's bought BEFORE 30th june. I got my 40d with the cash back offer and paid £549.99 in total. can't argue with that.

good luck

Wouldnt buy a new 30d, id go for a new 40d, but a second hand 30d would be well worth considering.

I started life with a 350d which had a Sigma 70-300mm APO for a few months, before upgrading to 30d, the image IQ was improved greatly the 30d handled higher ISO much better, and the AI AF is much faster and more acurate. 90% of what i shoot is motorsport *** so if you can avoid high iso's or no need for the faster af then you may not notice a great deal.

I recently got the 40d, much nicer then the 30d difference in IQ is very evident in the final prints i have done, faster at everything and a larger file to play with.

But again if you not interested in the faster AF and FPS what about the 450d? larger file sizes over the 40d, although i have never used 450d.

350d to 40d has been amazing so far for me. It's getting it's first major run out this weekend though so will be able to better discuss then!

I'm sorry I just don't like the 40...and for all the wrong reasons I know... It is frikkin UGLY!!

Sold my 20D with a heavy heart and would love to get a new 30D in the box just as a back up...

Sorry to rant O/T...:coat:

I'm sorry, but what? You don't have to sleep with it so why does it matter what it looks like?

Well YOU might not sleep with your camera...:D

If I didn't care about the camera's looks I might as well have bought a Nikon:eek::LOL::LOL:

Just gone from a 400d to 30d, can't wait to try it out.

Cant say the 30d looks all that different to 40d,

I went 350D to the 30D like Russdaz.

The back screen is bigger, but not big enough to tell much apart from rough composition still.

The AF is faster.

The FPS is twice as fast.

The batteries last longer (a particular issue I had with the 350D!)

The back wheel a la 1D family is nice for some adjustments while shooting - like exposure comp. and useful for reviewing your shots quickly too.

For motorsport it was a worthwhile update BUT the 40D is even better in the AF speed and accuracy and its more mega pixels and the screen is better still AND its got some other gimmicks you might never use too.

If you can only afford a ~300 quid 30D go for it, it is quite a bit better than your 350D - its one generation and one level above it. If you can afford it ***, get the 40D cos you really will go WOW with that puppy.

I went 350D to the 30D like Russdaz.

The back screen is bigger, but not big enough to tell much apart from rough composition still.

The AF is faster.

The FPS is twice as fast.

The batteries last longer (a particular issue I had with the 350D!)

The back wheel a la 1D family is nice for some adjustments while shooting - like exposure comp. and useful for reviewing your shots quickly too.

For motorsport it was a worthwhile update BUT the 40D is even better in the AF speed and accuracy and its more mega pixels and the screen is better still AND its got some other gimmicks you might never use too.

If you can only afford a ~300 quid 30D go for it, it is quite a bit better than your 350D - its one generation and one level above it. If you can afford it ***, get the 40D cos you really will go WOW with that puppy.

Well, I've gone and done it and got me a 30D... :woot: ............it's you lot that made me do it!! :naughty: So I'll have my 350D for sale soon - body only 3000 clicks........

I dont think you'l regret it mate, there a very capably camera, now you just need some 'L' glass to make the most of it lol

Back