Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Took the M out to the seafront this morning, as Ed has my 11-22mm now I used the 18-55mm.

Lovely shots Mike, the 18-55mm did you proud! The B&W shot of the sea is a cracker.

Edit: wish I lived near the sea or was at least near the sea. Very jealous!

Last edited:
Just saw a post from greencode on HUKD that Bristol Cameras have the M kit for £179 delivered:
http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-canon-eos-m-18-55-is-stm-ef-m-lens-black.htm

Not as cheap as Amazon the other day but still a saving against Argos.
*Argos have a £10 voucher again for over a £100 so £189 there.

Prices are tumbling! I was going to get an M2 but now that Canon have announced that there aren't going to be any M3 body-only options for Europe I'm seriously considering getting an M3 from Japan.

Prices are tumbling! I was going to get an M2 but now that Canon have announced that there aren't going to be any M3 body-only options for Europe I'm seriously considering getting an M3 from Japan.

If you do go this route it's worth ordering sooner rather than later to get the almost free EVF (limited to first 25,000 orders).
Makes it a ridiculously cheap camera.

If you do go this route it's worth ordering sooner rather than later to get the almost free EVF (limited to first 25,000 orders).
Makes it a ridiculously cheap camera.

Do you know if they take payment straight away or only when it ships?

Do you know if they take payment straight away or only when it ships?

I bought on Amazon Japan and paid using a credit card. Payment will be taken when goods are to be shipped the same as in UK (but will be pre-authorised at time of purchase).

EDIT - Actually I don't think Amazon do pre-authorise, thik they just ask your card company for payment at time of shipping.
EDIT 2 - You can also cancel your order any time before dispatch the same as UK Amazon. Just remember to open an account with Tenso first to get a Japan delivery address.

Last edited:
I bought on Amazon Japan and paid using a credit card. Payment will be taken when goods are to be shipped the same as in UK (but will be pre-authorised at time of purchase).

What does the pre-authorisation process involve? Do they require proof of credit card address etc?

Basically you do this.
1. Open an account with Tenso
2. Open an account with Amazon Japan
3. With Amazon fill in all your correct billing address, but add the Tenso address as your shipping address. Then place your order.
4. When Tenso receive your order they charge your card or PayPal (depending on what you signed up with, I used PayPal) and send out your goods. If sending via EMS (fast and cost effective delivery) then you need to authorise Tenso to open your box and pop the battery in (funny laws on lithium in Japan).

On DP quite a few have already done this and also ordered extra lenses. The lenses are already being shipped.

Last edited:
Basically you do this.
1. Open an account with Tenso
2. Open an account with Amazon Japan
3. With Amazon fill in all your correct billing address, but add the Tenso address as your shipping address. Then place your order.
4. When Tenso receive your order they charge your card or PayPal (depending on what you signed up with, I used PayPal) and send out your goods. If sending via EMS (fast and cost effective delivery) then you need to authorise Tenso to open your box and pop the battery in (funny laws on lithium in Japan).

On DP quite a few have already done this and also ordered extra lenses. The lenses are already being shipped.

Ooh, maybe I'll grab a 55-200 while I'm at it!

Did you go down the EMS route?

Yeah I did. I can't remember the exact cost but think it works out about £30ish for around 3 day delivery. Tenso are a massive company with a great reputation and have been going years. I have no issue with them opening the box.

Sounds good. Going to go and have a look into it. Thanks for the advice (y)

Edit: One final Question. Do Tenso require any ID for proof of credit card billing/shipping address?

Last edited:
Sounds good. Going to go and have a look into it. Thanks for the advice (y)

Edit: One final Question. Do Tenso require any ID for proof of credit card billing/shipping address?

Yes they do. I emailed them about ID and this is the list they sent me:

■Appropriate document for ID(name and birth of date) verification

※These documents are also appropriate for current address verification

・ ID card issued by school, college, company,,,,etc

・ Driver's license of card, boat, motorcycle,,,etc

・ Passport

・ Residence card

・ A copy of family register

・ insurance certificate

■Appropriate document for current address verification

※Please note that these documents below are not appropriate for ID verification

・ Bank statement

・ Bill from credit card company

・ Bill from public services (Gas, water, electlicity)

・ Bill from internet provider

・ Document from cities, towns and villagesmunicipalities

・ Document from police station

・ Document from taxation

・ Document from an insurance company

・ Proof of residence from a domitory

・ Qualification of TOEIC, TOEFL

・ Document of work permit

・ Birth certificate

・ Marriage lines

・ Automobile registration

・ Land patent

Sounds easy enough. It's probably a good thing that they are asking for several forms of ID.

£350 odd + import taxes seems too good of a deal to miss considering you are getting a body and an EVF worth over £200. The only other option is a UK one at £599 and then I'd have to sell the kit lens which means it will still have cost ~£550 just for the body. Rip off Britain!

So traded my dslr in, looking for something smaller, one option is the Eos M, anyone made the switch down how did they find it? Probably get it from Argos and get the 22mm prime later on.

So traded my dslr in, looking for something smaller, one option is the Eos M, anyone made the switch down how did they find it? Probably get it from Argos and get the 22mm prime later on.

I use 2 x M cameras now. One has the 22mm permanently fitted.

Kept my 50D but sold my other 3 DSLR bodoes and some lenses.

Kept better/newer lenses for use on the M.

Lightweight bag is my only way forward.

22mm is a fantastic lens.

Steve

I have just accepted an offer for my 22mm kit so I will soon be officially M-less

Got to decide what to do now ... if I go for the M3 it's a min 6 week wait whereas if I go for the M2 it's probably only a week.
Suppose I could order both .... :thinking:

Providing the M3 turns out to be far better than the M, I think that an M3 setup with M2 as a backup/2nd camera would be a excellent lightweight setup. I'm loving the freedom that my M gives me. The question is whether to stick with Canon or move over to another brand (Oly, Pana, Fuji etc). I think that the Canon solution (so far) gives the best bang for buck. I'm more than happy with my setup and it's all cost me less than the price of a single modestly priced lens for my 5D3.

Last edited:
I have just accepted an offer for my 22mm kit so I will soon be officially M-less

Got to decide what to do now ... if I go for the M3 it's a min 6 week wait whereas if I go for the M2 it's probably only a week.
Suppose I could order both .... :thinking:
You also managed to get an excellent price for it - camera and kit lens is only £180 delivered from Bristol cameras and there is an eBay seller doing the 22mm lens and EF adaptor for £85.

Therefore the buyer could have got it new for £265 and has paid £290 second hand!

It's like where people go mad on ebay and pay for second hand than you can get stuff for new.

Nuts!

You also managed to get an excellent price for it - camera and kit lens is only £180 delivered from Bristol cameras and there is an eBay seller doing the 22mm lens and EF adaptor for £85.

Therefore the buyer could have got it new for £265 and has paid £290 second hand!

It's like where people go mad on ebay and pay for second hand than you can get stuff for new.

Nuts!

The whole lot from Bristol Cameras amounts to £407. (EOS M + 18-55 = £169, 22mm = £149, EF-M mount = £89) or £265 from ebay for a grey import with no guarantee etc.

Maybe I'm nuts, but the guarantee and UK version is worth the extra £25 to me. Cheapest isn't always best.

The whole lot from Bristol Cameras amounts to £407. (EOS M + 18-55 = £169, 22mm = £149, EF-M mount = £89) or £265 from ebay for a grey import with no guarantee etc.

Maybe I'm nuts, but the guarantee and UK version is worth the extra £25 to me. Cheapest isn't always best.

Camera and lens is UK though and 18-55mm lens isn't dented. There is also potential that warranty isn't transferable so you might have bought a camera with no warranty for more than you could have bought a camera and lens with 12 month warranty but agree obviously you'd be unlikely to have to have any warranty with the 22mm lens and the adaptor. Either way I think IMHO the seller got an amazing price and unfortunately I think you paid way over the odds given UK new price for camera and kit lens.

Random Canon offer of the day:

http://eos-m.net/deals/canon-lens-promo-ukeu/

Some tempting offers for UK M3 buyers.

Tempting would be the EOS M 11-22 and 55-200 not the oversize EF and EF-S offerings most of which many already have.

It strikes me there will not be any new M mount lenses before April so I am leaning more to ditching my M kit and Canon full size lenses to move to a better range CSC kit.

Pity but Canon's cynicism and pricing is killing my love of the M system.

Steve

Last edited:
Tempting would be the EOS M 11-16 and 55-200 not tge oversize EF and EF-S offerings most of which many already have.

It strikes me there will not be any new M mount lenses before April so I am leaning more to ditching my M kit and Canon full size lenses to move to a better range CSC kit.

Pity but Canon's cynicism and pricing is killing my love of the M system.

Steve

I'm sticking with it and leaning towards the M3 for 'Sunday Best' and my original M for sticking in a coat pocket whist out and about. It's light, great quality for its size, and it's compatible with all of my other Canon gear (lenses, flash ect). Most of all, it's cost me nothing to buy compared to my existing FF gear. Best of all, it's getting my out shooting when otherwise I'd be lazy and leave my FF at home. It's a keeper for me :) (y)

I'm sticking with it and leaning towards the M3 for 'Sunday Best' and my original M for sticking in a coat pocket whist out and about. It's light, great quality for its size, and it's compatible with all of my other Canon gear (lenses, flash ect). Most of all, it's cost me nothing to buy compared to my existing FF gear. Best of all, it's getting my out shooting when otherwise I'd be lazy and leave my FF at home. It's a keeper for me :) (y)

Am in the same boat but have disposed of a pile of Canon kit.

I have my red M and 22mm permanently partnered and my black M for everything else.

Got just my 50D for the bigger lenses etc. Now used to the lighter bag and finding I do not want to drag the ef/efs lenses around and the lack of even the slightest commitment by Canon to give the UK/EC an M3 body only option is, IMO contemptuous of our market.

So I shall await the next 6 weeks and see what happens then, should nothing happen from Canon, all my gear goes for sale.

Pity really but, as much as I love the M, I spent 25 days on my European trip last September with a mix of M/EF/EF-S kit and it was still too heavy. With using public transport and few clothes it was a good experience. I wish Canon would raise their own bar and understand that for the independent traveller, every ounce of weight matters.

The weight was of no concern when in my 20s but I am 60 this year with a pile of neck and back problems. No financial issues means I am able to indulge my passion of photography. The M system is great, the choice of lenses offers backwards compatibility, great, a useful USP. Looking elsewhere though I see all of the capability I need with the lower size and weight I desire.

So to summarise... M system is brilliant, great quality, wayward price model but not as developed as it could be.

We will all have differing opinions but after 30 years using Canon, my time may be up with them

Steve

Got just my 50D for the bigger lenses etc. Now used to the lighter bag and finding I do not want to drag the ef/efs lenses around.

Pity really but, as much as I love the M, I spent 25 days on my European trip last September with a mix of M/EF/EF-S kit and it was still too heavy. With using public transport and few clothes it was a good experience. I wish Canon would raise their own bar and understand that for the independent traveller, every ounce of weight matters.

The weight was of no concern when in my 20s but I am 60 this year with a pile of neck and back problems. No financial issues means I am able to indulge my passion of photography. The M system is great, the choice of lenses offers backwards compatibility, great, a useful USP. Looking elsewhere though I see all of the capability I need with the lower size and weight I desire.

Totally agree with you on the lack of commitment from Canon wrt native lenses. We can only hope that they invest in the M mount in the future. Or more EF pancake lenses via the adapter.

My aim is as small, light and compact a setup as possible. At the moment, bar the 55-200, which I plan on getting soon, I have a complete M mount setup plus the EF adaptor with the EF 40mm on it. I have a cheap, light messenger bag (£15!) which holds everything including an iPad if I want it and a Gorilla Pod. It weights next to nothing and gives me so much freedom/flexibility that it's hard to give it up.

Just weighed my M camera bag and it weighs 2.3 Kg all in!! That includes:

Bag
Eos M
22mm
10-22mm
18-55mm
EF Adapter
EF 40mm
Gorilla Pod
4 Circular 55mm filters
3 Batteries
Lens pen
Odds and sods

Add on 260g for a 55-200mm and I'm done at just over 2.5Kg all in. I've had lenses in the past that have weighed more than that lol!

I ordered this Optech hand strap hoping it was one of the wider ones, but in actual fact it is fine for the M.

OP/TECH Cam Strap QD for Compact Cameras and Binoculars - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000H02B6O/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_BFE4ub16VR8R9
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000H02B6O/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_BFE4ub16VR8R9
Now funnily enough that is one i was looking at as i use the OP/Tech system for the rest of my kit and like the quality / value of it.

Does it feel secure looped around the M's lug?

Now funnily enough that is one i was looking at as i use the OP/Tech system for the rest of my kit and like the quality / value of it.

Does it feel secure looped around the M's lug?

It's quite dinky compared to the standard OpTech stuff (like you I also chose it as I use their system on my SLR) but I've had no reason to believe that it's insufficient. The strap is stretchy and absorbs some of the weight of the camera - it takes a bit of getting used to. There is a loop that tightens around the wrist which makes it feel secure though. For the money it's great, but if you want it to be compatible with your other OpTech fasteners then you'll need one of their other hand straps.

Back