Canon EX2 series

Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone point me in the direction of a nice straightforward english guide to the setting up and use of the EX2 series wireless Master/slave functions for the 580 + 430 EX2 speedlites?

After reading the manuals several times I think my brain has melted and dribbled out of my ear (why oh why do they use such meaningless language in their manuals? These are obviously written by robots from Mars)

I should point out I have worked out automatic/ETTL wireless functions but the setup for full manual firing is eluding me. I want to use the 580 as master on an ettl cable and fire the two 430's which will be set on manual as I require them but I can't work out how to do this with the books :bang:

Ste

I agree the instruction book isn't the best in the world.

So try this.

On the 580. Turn on the flash. Now hold down the ZOOM button for a few seconds and you'll see the flash symbol apear with the legend OFF. Turn the control wheel until it goes to ON and press the button in the middle of the control wheel to set it.

It's now virtually set. You'll see the flash has automatically ste itself to MASTER and Channel 1. Pressing the ZOOM button will allow you to cycle through options such as changing the channel number, plus setting the A B ration. This allows you to adjust the output of the slaved gun remotely from the 580. The 580 is A the slave is B. (Note you can have a third gun on C ( Note the first press of the ZOOM button allows you to manually set the zoom you have to press again to cycle through the Master / Slave options) Use the control wheel to change Off/On and press the button in the center of the control wheel to set it

To be honest once I've set the 580 up I usually leave set to this as it saves time.

On the 430 simply swith the switch at the rear of the gun to SLAVE.. Now again use the ZOOM button to select the same channel as the 580 but set the flash to Slave B. This enables you to control it from the 580. You can change the lighting rations from 1:1 to 8:1 580/430 or 1:8 . As with the 580 the ZOOM button allows you to cycle through the options. Press the +/- button instated of the wheel, and press the center button to set

If you have a 1Dslll you can do this from the cameras menu and is a lot easier

Give that man a cheer!

You managed to describe, in english, in one short passage, what Canon failed to do in pages and pages with diagrams!

You're a bit wrong but I figured it out - there is no Slave switch on the 430EX2, you have to set it by pressing and holding a button for a second or two. Also, you don't have to use ratios, you can set the power level via the 580EX2. You can also set everything, as you said, via the camera. This can be done via the 50D (and i assume the 5Dmk2 as well) as well as the 1DsIII.

Thankyou very much for your help Chappers. I've managed to work all this out since reading your plain english explanation!:clap:

Sorry about the confusion over the 430, mines not the II version, so I've got the switch.

Are the 50D, 5dII and the 1D the only cameras capable of all this from the menus?

Back