Canon EX580ii help buy 2nd hand or go yongnuo

Edit My Images
No
My Canon EX580ii has developed the known problem of firing only on full power ttl, its only intermittent for now but know it will get worse as this is the second flash I have had to do this. I sent it to canon to repair and they sent it back saying can not get the parts (would of been nice to say so on their website befor I spent £8 post).
On my repaired on I notice that the bottom rounded connections have been replaced with spiky ones.
Question -- dose anyone know if the later ex580ii from canon came shipped with the spiky connections - because looking on ebay I see that some units have spiky feet which could indicate that the flash has had a repair.
So do I buy a second hand ebay flash or go for a new yongnuo, but which one ? as I want want ettl / hss/
Thanks everyone

Canon could get the parts. Doing a bit of research it’s a failing transistor part number RJP4301

If you decide to give up on it then give me a shout, as an electronics engineer I’ll change the transistor and give it a whirl for you.

Thats good of you to offer and thanks for taking the time. Yes I have found out also that its a failing transistor but also something to do with a build up of ozone gas especially when used in hss - which I do, the build up causes arching around the flash tube leading to the transistor failing. Mainly it seems happens if the flash tube has not been 100% corectly fitted during assembly.
Well thats what I have found via google anyways

Buy a second hand Canon. Overall it will last longer and cost less overall, than the number of Yongnuos you will go through during its lifetime (I've tried this).

Last edited:
Back