Canon Flash Gun compatibility

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey Guys,

A question regarding the compatability differences between EX and EZ Flashguns.

First a bit of background for my thought process.

I currently own a 350D, and an EOS 500N.

In the next month or so I'm looking to get a better 35mm SLR (Secondhand Canon EOS3 ?) as to be honest the 500N feels cheap and a bit nasty. At some point i'll upgrade from the 350D but that'll a no brainer with regards compatibility.

So, my question is; would a flashgun such as a 220EX, 430EX, 580EX etc work the same with a Canon SLR such as an EOS 500N or EOS3 as it would with a DSLR? or, do i need to have an EZ with the 35mm's?

Basically It's gonna be my first flashgun that's purpose is just to get me used to using one, and I wanna get one that works with both sets of kit if that's possible

Does that make sense?

I've done a search on here, but didn't really get an answer so any help would be useful, even a link to a site where i can find out for myself would be cool

Thanks guys,

Steve

Nuts! just realised i posted this in the wrong forum.

Could a Mod chuck it over to Talk Equipment please?

Thanks

Steve

Hey Guys,

A question regarding the compatability differences between EX and EZ Flashguns.

First a bit of background for my thought process.

I currently own a 350D, and an EOS 500N.

In the next month or so I'm looking to get a better 35mm SLR (Secondhand Canon EOS3 ?) as to be honest the 500N feels cheap and a bit nasty. At some point i'll upgrade from the 350D but that'll a no brainer with regards compatibility.

So, my question is; would a flashgun such as a 220EX, 430EX, 580EX etc work the same with a Canon SLR such as an EOS 500N or EOS3 as it would with a DSLR? or, do i need to have an EZ with the 35mm's?

Basically It's gonna be my first flashgun that's purpose is just to get me used to using one, and I wanna get one that works with both sets of kit if that's possible

Does that make sense?

I've done a search on here, but didn't really get an answer so any help would be useful, even a link to a site where i can find out for myself would be cool

Thanks guys,

Steve

I don't really know anything about Canon flashguns, however you need to ensure that whatever you choose has a low enough triggering voltage not to fry the dslr as they work with considerably lower voltages than film cameras.

This site might be of help.

Old Canon film camera flashguns can be had for pennies on Ebay, so I'd be tempted to buy a digital compatible one for the 350D and an old one for your film camera. Add an optical trigger (about a fiver) and you would be able to use both flashguns in a dual setup with both cameras

Consider it chucked :)

Cheers !!

I don't really know anything about Canon flashguns, however you need to ensure that whatever you choose has a low enough triggering voltage not to fry the dslr as they work with considerably lower voltages than film cameras.

This site might be of help.

Old Canon film camera flashguns can be had for pennies on Ebay, so I'd be tempted to buy a digital compatible one for the 350D and an old one for your film camera. Add an optical trigger (about a fiver) and you would be able to use both flashguns in a dual setup with both cameras

Fab, cheers Flash, had i looked at ebay first it would have been a bit of common sense. Looking at the link now

Thanks

S

i jsut got the 430 EZ flash off her for studio work but was palying with it on the 400D. It works fine aprt from in ETTL mode. Something like this will work compeltely on the SLR cameras if im not mistaken. If then you really need TTL functions you can always invest later in a better flash unit.

i jsut got the 430 EZ flash off her for studio work but was palying with it on the 400D. It works fine aprt from in ETTL mode. Something like this will work compeltely on the SLR cameras if im not mistaken. If then you really need TTL functions you can always invest later in a better flash unit.

ez doesnt run ettl.
ex does.

Cheers for the Info guys. Much appreciated (y)

S

Back