CANON G9

Name
Simon Everett
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone got any first hand knowledge of this compact?

i had a look at one the other day, just briefly. The shutter lag is considerably better than the S70 I currently use for certain jobs.

It gets some good reviews and some bad - if it churns out the goods it would be just the job for some of my work.

Anthing else I should shortlist - needs to be able to produce A3, posters and publishable pictures to DPS and shoot RAW. a fast response time is helpful, which the G9 has. I would get the waterproof housing for it to waterproof it. I am just a bit concerned about the increase in pixel count without increasing the size of the CCD. Quality will decrease if pixels are too crammed!

I don't need anything faster than 400 ISO - i would rarely go to that high, 100 is my standard working speed, regardless of the weather. 200 is only 1 stop, but the drop in quality is already noticable.

Tell me what you know, thanks. Simon.

Bit of a mixed bag there. I am looking to use it professionally for kayaking and fieldsports stuff when i don't want to lug my full kit about. That is why it is important the quality is as good as a high end SLR. The Powershot S70 does produce good results, but it is so SLOW!
The shutter lag on the G9 has been addressed and it is very much faster to respond.

Anyone else got any input before I blow the results of another picture sale!

It's a bit noisy from 400 up but fine under that, I tend to leave it at either 80 or 100 iso. The Lensmate adapter and grip/thumbrest are well worth having too...

Great little camera IMO, as long as you keep the ISO down it produces excellent results, and it's crammed with just about every feature you'd expect in a DSLR.

Any news on a G10 yet? All sorts of rumours, but any substance? Photokina I suppose will give me the answer to that one!

Amazon have it at half price just now too, which I noticed recently.

That means the G10, or whatever the successor is called, is about to be unleashed upon us!

Amazon have it at half price just now too, which I noticed recently.

Which Amazon is this? Amazon.co.uk list it at £276.95, it was £289.95 ( and about £30 more at jessops) when I bought mine from them 7 months ago. I only make that a £13 drop.......:shrug:

I bought one for my other half for her birthday. It's something we can both use - point'n'shoot for her, and manual controls for me. It also accompanies my 5D really well, in terms of the pixel depth and being able to shoot in RAW.

First impressions are it's a fantastic little camera. The manual controls, RAW mode and external flash hot shoe are a real bonus (and pretty unusual in a compact). Build quality is great - the rotary controls are quality, and the whole thing feels solid in your hand. My only niggle concerning RAW mode is that if you want to shoot in RAW and JPEG simultaneously, you only have the option of recording JPEGS in the largest low-compression ratio (unlike the 5D for instance, where you can record any size/compression of JPEG with a RAW file).

In terms of pixel count it should easily be capable of A3-size enlargements, but my advice would be to stick at ISO 80 (the lowest) if you're planning to print your pics this big. Setting the ISO any higher will exaggerate noise in dark areas, and noise will become obtrusive from ISO 400 upwards. That's part and parcel of having such a high pixel count on a compact-sized sensor.

A.

Thanks Anorakus.....much as I thought. 100 should be Ok then.

I have just heard from a reliable source that there could well be an announcement in the very near future from Canon. This source was about to buy some stock G9s and it was kind of suggested that he might like to not order quite so many........that usually means there is something new afoot. A couple of weeks should be long enough to find out.

I am going to bide my time for a couple of weeks and see what transpires. No rush. It sounds as though if they can sort the noise out, it is exactly what I am after.

I am going to bide my time for a couple of weeks and see what transpires. No rush. It sounds as though if they can sort the noise out, it is exactly what I am after.

There is always going to be noise unless they increase the sensor size. Have you considered the Sigma DP1 with the APS-C sensor?

Flash - no I hadn't considered the Sigma, because I didn't know it existed.

You have to remember that being a Nikon man with yellow blood, even straying to the slightly murky waters of Canon is a big departure. I would be flogged for even looking at a Sigma brochure - so I'll just make sure nobody is looking!

Back