canon ip4600 problems

Name
Jeremy Moore
Edit My Images
No
Last summer I bought a canon ip4600 refurb from the Canon ebay outlet. All went fine till yesterday and now its b*****ing about big time.

I was printing some forms and started getting problems with the blacks.... white lines running across the page...so I replaced all three cartridges which were showing ink low or ink out warnings - both blacks and the yellow.

Now either the printer won't recognise the cartridge (s) , or the nozzle checks don't show any ink present.

In fact the blue nozzle check is missing now as well.....

Just replaced the last Canon inks with jet-tec compatibles......

Is it worth persevering with cleaning etc, or shall I just bin it and buy another? I know that's terribly wasteful but inkjet printers do my head in.:bang:

Last edited:
Hello everyone..I have my own professional photo lab and i recently bought canon printer for best quality photographic prints but it is not working well,please help me.

professional photo labs

Hi Henry, I'm sorry I have nothing that can help you with your printer problem.
If you don't get the help you need from this forum, as it's Canon and you live on the other side of the pond (usa), you could try this dedicated Canon users forum http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

Last edited:
does it not recognise all carts or just the jet-tec ones?

Last summer I bought a canon ip4600 refurb from the Canon ebay outlet. All went fine till yesterday and now its b*****ing about big time.

I was printing some forms and started getting problems with the blacks.... white lines running across the page...so I replaced all three cartridges which were showing ink low or ink out warnings - both blacks and the yellow.

Now either the printer won't recognise the cartridge (s) , or the nozzle checks don't show any ink present.

In fact the blue nozzle check is missing now as well.....

Just replaced the last Canon inks with jet-tec compatibles......

Is it worth persevering with cleaning etc, or shall I just bin it and buy another? I know that's terribly wasteful but inkjet printers do my head in.:bang:

They are chipped cartridges, yes.

I phoned up jettec yesterday and they said, well yes, Canon printers do have the same nozzle blockage problems that Epson do.....I thought I'd left that problem behind.

:bang:

He also said, yes, nozzles do tend to get blocked when you either
1) Do very little printing, or
2) Do a lot of printing

I've done several cleaning cycles and a deep clean. After the latter, the results were even worse.

I imagine the Canon guarantee will be invalid because I've used compatible cartridges. As for the jettec guarantee......I'm sure they'll wriggle out of it somehow.

A nozzle check this morning shows that only ONE of the colours is printing, but all the cartridges are being recognised.

This printer is heading for the bin.

A new set of Canon carts would cost more than the printer did!

I replaced the last three Canon carts with Jettec ones when the ink from one of them obviously ran out during a run.

Now 4 out of 5 are blocked. Only one of the blacks is working.

Some at least of this problem came about after doing cleaning cycles!

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience with HP inkjets?

I am so p****d off with inkjet nozzles blocking, and HP's have the nozzles in the cartridge - am I right????

I don't do much top quality photo printing but I could do with a decent allrounder that doesn't get B****Y blocked nozzles!

Ink technology is pretty good nowadays and there is even compatibles for the 'big' printers.

Had an iP4300 which showed the same results as yours and tried quite a number of 'deep cleans' but NBG. It's more than likely the head and like you said it would be cheaper to replace the whole printer.

You could try the warranty, if there is one, as more than likely Canon will take just the head back to test.

Ink technology is pretty good nowadays and there is even compatibles for the 'big' printers.

Had an iP4300 which showed the same results as yours and tried quite a number of 'deep cleans' but NBG. It's more than likely the head and like you said it would be cheaper to replace the whole printer.

You could try the warranty, if there is one, as more than likely Canon will take just the head back to test.

Canon warranty is invalid if you use non-canon inks......

Just to update this, despite what it says in the guarantee, Canon has replaced this with a brand new ip4850 printer. No questions asked. So good on Canon. I just mentioned the Sale of Goods Act when I spoke to them.

Having already replaced it myself, I have a brand new ip4850 for sale.....it will be in the classifieds soon enough!

Back