canon lens.

Edit My Images
No
If i was to buy the Canon l f2.8 70-200 is there alot of difference in the IS version to the non IS? ;)

Yeah the "IS"

IS really helps when you have low shutter speeds as it gives you back 2-4 stops (depending on the IS version).

IS lenses are reputed by some to reduce the sharpness of the image ever sooo slightly compared to their non L equivalents.

I've got the 70-200f2.8 ISL and it is fabulous. You wont regret buying it. Handholding 50ths at 200mm is possible.

Handholding at 1/15th sec is possible if you are steady! I've a few from a wedding at 1/30th that are excellent and that was shotting in a hurry!

Handholding at 1/15th sec is possible if you are steady! I've a few from a wedding at 1/30th that are excellent and that was shotting in a hurry!

I thought that holding at 1/30th is OK but if you go below that you need a tripod?

tripods recommended, or certainly a good brace. IS does help, but ive had no direct experience

I thought that holding at 1/30th is OK but if you go below that you need a tripod?

Really depends on how steady you are.

Here's two very basic ones from about 10' away in my room. Excuse the crap images but shows what can be done very quickly.

Both handheld. Exif info intact. Straight from the camera - no sharpening

1. 70-200 f2.8L IS @ 200mm - ISO400 - f2.8 - 1/8th!!!
(full image)

Box_1.jpg

2. 100% crop.

Box_2.jpg

I can post 1/15th too if you like. Slightly sharper!

And

1. Handheld 70-200 f2.8L IS @ 200mm - ISO1600 - f2.8 - 1/8th IS on (100%) :clap:
Seagate_1.jpg

2. Handheld 70-200 f2.8L IS @ 200mm - ISO1600 - f2.8 - 1/8th IS off (100%) :) :nono:

Seagate_2_No_IS.jpg

Now my point is that although the first may not be super sharp, think about 1/8th handheld at 200mm!!! Just shows what can be achieved with IS.

Quite impressive and a very good illustration EOS_JD ... especially the last two ... (y)

:p

Quite impressive and a very good illustration EOS_JD ... especially the last two ... (y)

:p

Thanks venomater
I was pretty close to the subjects here and perhaps the camera shake would be more exagerated if your subject is a bit further away. The second shots were taken close to the lenses closest focusing distance.

You can certainly get acceptable quality images at much slower speeds than usual although at 1/15th and 1/8th it's likely to be more hit and miss out in the field. Take time and you'll get sharper images. A tripod at these speeds will certainly be better though.

Cheers
Jim

Thank you Eos Jd that was very helpfull. Cant believe the differance. Gonna have to be the IS.

No worries.

In the field the IS lens is heavier but the versatility and quality of results from this lens are outstanding.

The 70-200 f2.8L IS can be used in almost any situation. Even in low light, just bump up the ISO a bit and it provides consistent quality results.

It does however take a little getting used to. Take time to play around with the depth of field (which can be very narrow at large appertures and a close subject).

Outstanding lens and I'm sure you'll enjoy it :) Add a Canon 1.4x for a 98-280 f4L IS. :)

:agree:

The only advise I can add is that long shots (150-200mm) over 5-10 metres on this lens can look deceptively OK until the first time you see them on your pc monitor at 100%......So always be sure to work in an envelope of settings you know won't let you down!(y) (y)

You should never use the screen on the back of your camera to determine sharpness anyway..... I only use it to see the histogram.

Too many times it looks great on my small screen only to be very disappointed looking at the image on the PC.

To summarize what you asked originally...(If this is still necessary but here goes anyway)

There is a great difference between IS and similar non-IS lenses yes.

The first difference you will notice is the price:D

Although the IS on Canon's lenses is very nice technology it does not mean that it performs miracles or that you will never need a tripod again...

Is it worth it ....YES!!

But do know that you will have to spend some time polishing your technique as well, simply because most IS lenses are not amateur or even high end prosumer stuff.

They demand respect with or without IS

:rules:

Back