(Canon) - Need a Fast Wide Angle Prime Lens

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I have come to the conclusion that I 'need' a fast prime lens!

I have previously owned a 50mm 1.8 II and although I was perfectly happy with it I found using it with a crop body not always ideal for the type of shooting I do so (probably) looking to go wider than 50mm as I'm still on a crop body, a 7D.

Any recommendations?

Ideally a Canon lens. Budget wise I'm quite open to be honest.

I can't help but be attracted to the 50mm 1.4 which totally goes against what I've said above but it is a consideration.

I've done various searches on here and read up on various lenses and checked out prices on Camera Price Buster etc and it seems I do have quite a few options which is good.

From my research my options are -

Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 20mm f2.8 USM
Canon EF 24mm f2.8
Canon EF 28mm f1.8 USM
Canon EF 35mm f2.0

Many thanks in advance.

Definitely look at the canon 35mm f2 - perfect length for a variety of things on a crop body and great value for money.

Hi,

What do you want to achieve with this lens and does it 'have' to be a prime?

Cheers

Paul

not always ideal for the type of shooting I do

do we guess what its for?

Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 20mm f2.8 USM
Canon EF 24mm f2.8
Canon EF 28mm f1.8 USM
Canon EF 35mm f2.0

I still have my nifty50 mkII and its as sharp as a pin.. but not quite good enough when shooting low light.. combat sports for example.. so I replaced it with the 50mm 1.4 you have listed ..I rarely use at f1.4 but much improved focus ect...

I also have the 24mm 2.8 you list and its a very rarely used lens.. dont like it at all.. its OK but doesnt compare to the quality of the nifty50 or the 50 1.4.. i take it for if i need a really wide shot on the FF camera..

However ..the pick of the bunch and by far the best lens in my wide angle range is the 35mm f2.. was perfect for all my wide angle needs in a 1.3 crop.. its one of them never ever get rid of lens...Sharp, fantastic colours and perfect focul lenght IMHO

Last edited:
I have the 30mm sigma, f1.4
it's quite good but has mixed reviews.
i'd consider the 28mm 1.8 having heard good things but I haven't got a side by side
can provide sigma 30mm pics if that's helpful

nice tip tony as I want to shoot more combat sports.
might have to trade in my sigma if it's not up to the task

Last edited:
Inice tip tony as I want to shoot more combat sports.

I figure with combat sports I ahve enough to do moving about (body not legs.. up down left right between ropes maybe) I am always changing the focus point left/right as center is uselss for combat.. then focus and shoot on a fast moving sport.. I reckon adding zoom is just a step too far.. so use a prime... 35mm on a crop is brilliant .. 50mm on a FF is about the same.. hence why i have both..

sorry for the wander:)

always helpful Tony and I look for your comments or feedback on these types of threads tbh.

I was shooting w/flash at a wrestling event recently 17-55 between the ropes and then at an amateur boxing event; 70-200 (cropped) from the crowds (with a pint or 3 at the ready) a few weeks before.
but i'll be getting under the ropes with a prime and practising without flash again after the new year. Examples below.
however, for the OP, and to hijack the thread less :p
The boxing ones were in decent light really, at f2.8 or f3.2.
I can shoot some 30mm sigma f1.4 samples on a 7D if that makes your list as it's a decently built option on a reasonable budget.
I'd love a f1.4 L glass but they are very heavy
also I have the f1.4 50mm canon

403584_10151210368942993_1637901854_n.jpg

27936_10151210366942993_1313087921_n.jpg

17924_10151211572637993_875459849_n.jpg

484364_10151196802512993_201964519_n.jpg

you already have the nifty50 so you already know how wide that is.. if its good enough then the 50 1.4 .. if you feel you need wider then the 35..

personally on a 7d ? I would go wider..

I've got both the 50 f1.4 and the 35 f2 and for me the better IQ comes from the 50 but there's not a great deal in it. The 35 is a bit slower to focus than the 50 but again not by much. I usually use my 50 on my 5D3 and have my 35 on hand just in case I need to go wider and I've got some great photos out of it. It also doubles as a good 50 equivalent when used on my 7D.

Personally I'd be going for the shorter lens than dropping the aperture. Either that or going to FF.

I am currently going through the same conundrum and am rather quickly deciding that a crop body isn't right for me under the current lens selection I want to use.

Certainly will!

I hope you enjoy your lens but IMVHO on a crop body it's a brave move to ignore the Simga 30mm f1.4, it has the advantage not only of f1.4 but HSM allowing full time manual focus which comes in handy in difficult lighting / shooting situations.

I had one when I had a Canon APS-C and I thought it was a cracking lens.

if you were feeling minted theres also the canon ef 35mm f1.4 - Im hired one once and its a superb bit of kit - but then at nearly a £K to buy it damn well should be :LOL:

mind you none of these are particularly wide angle on a crop body - my preference for low light wide angle on a canon crop would be the tokina 11-16 f2.8

Last edited:
I had the 28 2.8, it wasn't as nice as my nifty, the 1.8 is supposed to be considerably better if that helps

yeah., I've heard a lot of poor reviews of the 30mm 1.4 sigma, but persinally I quite like it

When I sold mine the buyer (sorry if you're reading this...) posted example shots showing front/back focus issues, basically the focus was all over the place... I was very surprised as I'd never had a problem with it so I offered to take it back and provide a full refund but the buyer soon decided it was user error and kept it.

The internet is full of reports of dodgy kit but personally I take many of these reports with a pinch of salt.

well considering the context in which I use it, slightly soft photos aren't noticeable tbh
but it's worth keeping in mind.
also looking at the way lenses and cameras are calibrated, I take all this, as you said, with a pinch of salt
over xmas i'll look at mine in more detail and micro adjust on the 7D to compensate if required.

Back