Canon P-300 printer purchase and ink multipack question

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
While the Canon cashback is on, I will be getting the Canon P-300 printer
My question is, is it worth getting an ink multipack, or is ink usage that variable, some will be sat there unused for a long time, while I may need a second purchase of other colours in the meantime?
TIA

Hi Nigel,

I don't have any experience of Canon printers but all of the printers I have ever owned (Epson, HP and Brother) came with cartridges that were at best had only half of the normal ink in them. I learned very early on that when buying a new printer you need to get a multi-pack of standard (or high capacity) cartridges at the same time.

You are right that some colours will be used quicker than others but until you've started using up the original cartridges you can't tell which ones they are. Unless the Canon P-300 is rather more intelligent than my current Epson then as soon as one ink runs out it will refuse to print at all.

The alternative to buying a multi-pack is to install a continuous ink system - a bit costly to begin with but much cheaper to run afterwards.

Buy the P-300 and a multi pack. Then buy single ink cartridges after you find which you are using faster. For me, it varies considerably, depending on the kind of photos being printed. When I do low key shots I go through a lot of the black inks. For hi key shots the ink levels tend to go down more evenly. There have been a few times when all seemed to be going down somewhat evenly, so I have bought the multi pack again. I will only use Canon Inks, and almost always Canon papers, except when I haven't been able to find it. The A-Sub paper in 13 X 19" bought through Amazon has been a good substitute.

My office printers are not treated so royally. Almost any cheap ink source cartridges work fine for office printing on office paper. The latest has been bought through Amazon from Mytoner.com with satisfactory results on Epson printers. I DO NOT try to print quality photos on any of these printers, even with Epson Brand Ink. The Canon printers and ink leave Epson far behind in quality photo printing. I want the best possible quality photo printing possible, and I'm willing to pay more for the better printers, ink, and paper to get this quality.

Charley

Back