Canon picture styles

I really ought to know this, but do Canon picture styles relate to RAW files as well as jpegs?

My hunch is that they don't but I'd like to be sure.........

Cheers.....

No. But in DPP and LR you can find the profiles to apply to your RAW.

No real effect but they are important to how the preview and HISTOGRAM appear. So the most neutral style could be still helpful unless you need to show something contrasty on the back of the camera to the client.

Thanks Nightmare.

That's what i guessed; I suppose a "landscape" setting would give an approximation on the screen of what one might be able to achieve for oneself in LR (or whatever....).

I'm surprised that Canon don't make it clearer that so many of those settings are only relevant to in-camera jpegs.

Thanks Nightmare.

That's what i guessed; I suppose a "landscape" setting would give an approximation on the screen of what one might be able to achieve for oneself in LR (or whatever....).

I'm surprised that Canon don't make it clearer that so many of those settings are only relevant to in-camera jpegs.

That's right. You can achieve many different looks starting from neutral RAW file. If you use canon's own DPP (which I strongly recommend against) it would pre-load that profile in the develop settings. LR is light years ahead both in terms of colours and sharpness let alone all the local processing options.

P.S. In recent LR version I still recommend sticking with older Adobe Standard vs the newer default Adobe Color. It allows more processing latitude. Interestingly Adobe Landscape can offer a sort of shortcut for developing colourful images when they also have to fit into very antiquated narrow colour spaces such as sRGB. They differ in more ways than just basic saturation and contrast levels.

Last edited:
Canon used to recommend Canon Standard as a good all round style and this was generally true. Landscape emphasises blue and green and looks wrong. Neutral and faithful are really starting points for those who wish to fiddle with the sliders and create your own style. As stated by others, these styles are available to apply to the Raw file rendering in DPP or LR. Personally I have created bespoke calibration profiles for each of my cameras and LR automatically applies the correct profile based on camera serial number. Each camera (even the same model) has a slightly different characteristic. It is mainly product and fashion photographers who need to use calibrated profiles.

Dave

Back