Canon Powershot S5 IS

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey I am new to this forum. I am currently doing an art foundation course and have only recently got into photography. I only have a small digital camera, so for my work I tend to use my mum's Canon Powershot S5 IS, as she never uses it. I was wondering if it was worth getting an upgrade for myself? I was tihnking of getting the 400D, but am usnure if this will be any better than the camera I am using now, and if it will be worth spending so much money on it. So should I stick with the S5 IS or get a new one? cheers for any help (in advance)

A DSLR is always gonna be better than a compact, far better quality, way more features and loads of lenses and accessories.

The 400D is a good starting point DSLR wise, what's your budget?

I have both, a 400D and the S5 and i so much prefer the 400D. I'm still learning the ropes of photography but i find the 400D a lot easier to use and the quality is miles better. The thing i HATE about the S5 is the level of noise in all of my photos. If i take a photo at anything above ISO 100 the noise levels are intolerable. :(

Word of warning however, this can lead into one heck of an expensive hobby lol.

I bought a 400D on a whim last year (I just got it in my head that I fancied learning how to take a better-than-crap picture). TBH, I haven't looked back, love the camera, love learning how to use it, love reading about techniques on here and in magazines, basically I love it!! :) Be warned, once your hooked, it's worse than giving up fags, there are so many things I now want to buy for my new toy since I started coming on here!!! :(

Although i have a 400d, don't forget the other makes. Pentax do the k100d and things which can be picked up pretty cheaply. My first DSLR (olympus e-300) was £250 which is only slightly more than the top compacts but the quality is much better, as it is a DLSR although i have never done a comparison

A DSLR is always gonna be better than a compact, far better quality, way more features and loads of lenses and accessories.

The 400D is a good starting point DSLR wise, what's your budget?

My budget is around 400 i guess. I was definately going to get the 400D but then had a problem with my car so have to hold up on the spending, which is now why im only considering getting a DSLR, and sticking with the S5.

I think I will have to go for the 400D, but in a month or so - will have to do some saving (student). Cheers for all replies people, much appreciated.

I have both, a 400D and the S5 and i so much prefer the 400D. I'm still learning the ropes of photography but i find the 400D a lot easier to use and the quality is miles better. The thing i HATE about the S5 is the level of noise in all of my photos. If i take a photo at anything above ISO 100 the noise levels are intolerable. :(

Word of warning however, this can lead into one heck of an expensive hobby lol.

Yeah same mate, only recently started getting into photography so don't know everything, but i agree about the amount of noise in the S5. Went and took some good photos early this morning and the noise from picking up the fog has ruined a few pictures.
Haha expensive isnt it. I havent even got the 400D yet (will get it soon) but already picked a few lenses, a flash gun, new memory card, tripod....the list goes on

Back