Beginner Canon Powershot sx150 is

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,
Newbie here so be gentle with me.
This is my first post and while I have much to learn in the use of my own camera this first post is really on behalf of a friend.
She has a Canon Powershot sx150 is which by all accounts allows for taking up to 14.2mp pics.
But when taking pics (and she has sent me one to look at) it is clear the resolution is extremely low.
When I click on properties for the picture she has sent it tell me that it is 125 × 203 which by my calculation is about 25 thousand odd pixels.
So unsurprisingly when she tries to crop the picture she loses all clarity.
She has to have the camera set to a very low still image size ?
So really the question here is where on this particular camera are the resolution settings and how does she choose the highest.
I have searched the web and downloaded the PDF doc for this camera but damned if I can find a 'settings' for this.
Further searching also reveals the maximum setting as "14 megapixel Fine JPEG setting" but again I can find no extra info for this or where this
setting is to be found in the camera menu.
My own camera allows me to choose between 4 still image sizes - the lowest VGA up to 18M.
Would her camera have this same option or am I missing something here.
I note she has a macro setting. If she used this would the camera default to a specific image size ?
Apologies for any ignorance shown here but my own knowledge is very limited
Many thanks !
John in Gloucester

(and she has sent me one to look at)
Are you sure its the camera sizing that small? don't think that even the old 1.3Mpix compact I had back in 2003 made pix THAT tiny. Think the 'compact' size was 640x480, 125x203 would have been a 'thumb-nail' for even small a shot. Has it been resized in 'transmission' when sent to you?
Only other idea I have is that on the O/H's bridge, I noticed it used the smaller image sizes when in sport or sequence mode, I presume to allow the frame rate. May be similar on this camera & setting to highest pix res in the preferences, may not make the camera use it in all 'modes'.
Otherwise, Google is your friend and the camera's user manual is almost certain to be available 'on-line' .

She should be able to select the file sizes. I've just downloaded the manual and this is an excerpt.
Use the Func/Set button to get to the relevant settings and change them there.

24617975736_e4a287b8fd_b.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure its the camera sizing that small? don't think that even the old 1.3Mpix compact I had back in 2003 made pix THAT tiny. Think the 'compact' size was 640x480, 125x203 would have been a 'thumb-nail' for even small a shot. Has it been resized in 'transmission' when sent to you?
Only other idea I have is that on the O/H's bridge, I noticed it used the smaller image sizes when in sport or sequence mode, I presume to allow the frame rate. May be similar on this camera & setting to highest pix res in the preferences, may not make the camera use it in all 'modes'.
Otherwise, Google is your friend and the camera's user manual is almost certain to be available 'on-line' .

Many thanks Mike for your response on this and very appreciated. I did ask my friend (who lives some distance away) to take a picture 'using the camera' (rather than a saved one that she may have resized). I should really have questioned her on this as the size of 125 × 203 does seem very low. Even the lowest setting on my camera is VGA 640 x 480. I will ask her now..
Yes, I have downloaded the user guide PDF file as stated but still trying to establish where the image size setting are to be found.
Many thanks !
John in Gloucester

She should be able to select the file sizes. I've just downloaded the manual and this is an excerpt.
Use the Func/Set button to get to the relevant settings and change them there.

24617975736_e4a287b8fd_b.jpg

Many many thanks Al, (had just replied to Mike's post when yours came through ok)
So it certainly appears my friends camera has 5 different pixel sizes to choose from and it may be that she is using the lowest 640 x 480 ?. All I have to figure out is where in the camera menu these settings are to be found and what setting she is currently using. As a novice, things like compression ratio and many other photographic terms I have still to fully come to terms with. But pixel sizes I can just about get my head around.
In my friends situation it may be that I need to visit her and having the camera in hand it may be easier to figure the settings out. Meantime, I will continue to browse through the on line PDF guide for her camera and try and figure out what I am missing.
Many thanks !
John in Gloucester
p.s. Just noticed your mention of using the function/set button ok. Thanks again

Last edited:
As a novice, things like compression ratio and many other photographic terms I have still to fully come to terms with. But pixel sizes I can just about get my head around.
Compression is the amount of 'short-hand' the camera uses when it creates the 'data-file' that says what colour and brightness each of the pixels in the picture you took, ought to be, so it can make the file, not the picture, the file, smaller.
You may find this useful Understanding; Mega Pixels, Mega Bytes; tif, jpg, bmp, nef, & raw?

Back