Canon recall the new EF24-105 F4 L IS lens.

S

Steve

There are rumours circulating of “issues” with Canons new EF24-105 F4 L IS lens. Mainly due to strange flare occurring under certain circumstances. I am reading on several other forums that Canon has recalled or is in the process of recalling the early versions of the lens and have now made some changes to the design. All future available versions should be perfect apparently however this had led to several rumours being started.

If you want to see a example of the flare “issue” then take a look at
http://eos-d.axisz.jp/joyful_exif/img/325.jpg

Another example
http://www.pbase.com/t_o_m/image/51044154.jpg

And Warehouse Express (UK) state on the website:

Canon Lens Page:

EF24-105mm f4 L IS:

"Due to a technical issue with the above lens Canon are unable to supply at present. We expect further details shortly and will keep you informed"

No official news from Canon UK as yet but Canon USA apparently said:

There is a possible flare issue when light strikes at about a 37.5 - 45 degree angle against the optical axis of the lens, at wide zoom + wide aperture settings. Parts to repair this issue will be available November 15

Read into that what you will, with no official news or statements it’s all trial and error and speculation. I just thought it would make a great talking point.

Here is another example of the flare issue

50946586.Flare.jpg

:shock: :shock:

reminds me of the scene in the Omen with the minister. Canon surely is the Devil's work ;)

:icon_eek: Weird! I never saw anyting quite like that before.

CT said:
:icon_eek: Weird! I never saw anyting quite like that before.

Thats just what I thought when I first saw it too. Mighty weird and very strange effect.

Quite an expensive filter if you ask me.

I'm suprised this got through quality control.
Goes to show that Canon aren't as perfect as made out to be.

Just goes to show that it's always worth waiting for the bugs to be spotted and ironed out before you buy something new.

SDK^ said:
Just goes to show that it's always worth waiting for the bugs to be spotted and ironed out before you buy something new.

True

Bet someone got some flak for that slipping through QC though.

Back