Canon releases firmware updates for EOS 5D, EOS 30D

Admin

Admin
Edit My Images
No
Canon today has released firmware updates for the EOS 5D and EOS 30D. Changes in the EOS 5D firmware include the ability to recognize the full capacity of Compactflash cards over 8GB, while changes in the firmware for both models includes the embedding of newer lens names into the EXIF metadata of captured photos and broader support for the lens aberration correction function of Digital Photo Professional 3.2.

From RobGalbraith : More...

Great news, means i can do get rid of the little 4gb cards ive had to keep for using in the 5D and replace them with man-size 16gb cards. :)

Oooh updates for the 30D

/goes off to find what else is in the update

Canon 5D

Link to Canon download page

What has been changed in Version 1.1.1 firmware?

The following fixes and improvements have been incorporated:

1. It now supports high-capacity CF cards.

Previously, when using an 8GB CF card or greater (e.g.,12GB, 16GB), even after initializing the card in the camera, the CF card capacity could not correctly be detected.
This phenomenon has been fixed so that the camera will correctly recognize high-capacity CF cards.

2. It allows the latest lens names to be recorded in the Exif information of images taken.

The lens IDs of lenses released after EOS5D are not in the camera; so these lens names could not be recorded in the Exif information of images. The lens IDs for the follwing new lenses are now included, so that the correct lens names will be recorded in the Exif information of images.

-EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM *1)
-EF 50mm f/1.2L USM *1)
-EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM *2)
-EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM *1)

The correct lens names for the lenses above marked *1) will be recorded in the Exif information of images.
The lens marked *2) has been added, if the firmware is version 1.1.0 or later.

3. Lenses that are compatible with the Digital Photo Professional 3.2 lens aberration correction function have been added.

More lenses will be supported by the lens aberration correction function of Digital Photo Professional 3.2, Canon's RAW image viewer/editing software.
Specifically, the four lenses listed in item 2 above have been added.In images taken with these lenses and cameras updated to v1.1.1, the lens aberration correction function can be used.
For other supported lenses, see the user manual for DPP 3.2.

Are the previous versions of the firmware included in version 1.1.1?

Yes, the following improvements from the previous version are included:

Canon 30D

Link to Canon download page

What has been changed in version 1.0.6 firmware?
What has been changed in version 1.0.6 firmware?

The following fixes and improvements have been incorporated.

1. It allows the latest lens names to be recorded in the Exif information of images taken.

The lens IDs of lenses released after the EOS30D are not in the camera; so these lens names could not be recorded in the Exif information of images. The Lens IDs for the following new lenses are now included, so that the correct lens names will be recorded in the Exif information of images.

* EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM *1)
* EF 50mm f/1.2L USM *2)
* EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM *2)
* EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM *1)
* EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 (Not sold in Japan) *1)
* EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II (Not sold in Japan) *1)
* EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM *1)
* EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II USM *1)
* EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS *1)
* EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS *1)

The correct lens names for the lenses marked *1) above will be recorded in the Exif information of images.
Lenses marked *2) are added if the firmware is version 1.0.5 or later.

2. Lenses that are compatible with the Digital Photo Professional 3.2 lens aberration correction function have been added.

More lenses will be supported by the lens aberration correction function of Digital Photo Professional 3.2, Canon's RAW image viewer/editing software.
Specifically, the ten lenses listed in item 1 above have been added. In images taken with these lenses and cameras updated to v1.0.6, the lens aberration correction function can be used.
For other supported lenses, see the user manual for DPP 3.2.

Are the previous versions of the firmware included in version 1.0.6?

Yes, the following improvements from the previous version are included:

Not sure it's worth it for the 30D unless you happen to have one of those lenses.

5d done, as always it soooooo easy, why not do it what have you to lose:shrug:

Sometimes manufactures put updates / fix things that they don't tell you about, if they haven't had a ticket raised by a customer for a particular fault, but they have known about it and fixed it they usually don't say they have.

I would update if its available.

Just updated mine, no problems, and no other things / changes I can see.

Just done my 30D...(y)

Thanks for the info ADMIN........:clap:

nice to see canon still looking after the old models.

i'll be leaving my 5d alone though :D

Both 30D's done and dusted....thanks admin(y)

i have none of the above camera's, but it made me think to check my new camera... 400d.. and it has 1.0.4 on it, just updated it to 1.1.0 :D

thankya very much :)

Back