Canon remote

digitalfailure

Staff Bog Cleaner 2015
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone use the Canon RC-1 infra red remote shutter release?

I've been trying a few self portraits but my wired remote isn't giving enough distance.

If i use the self timer i'm finding the camera exposes and focuses before i'm in the shot which is rather stupid really ....(come on canon make the camera do the maths just before the shutter fires)

The Ir remote seems ideal, but at sub £20 i'm unsure of the quality and reliability.

Thoughts ?

Has the 5D got an IR receiver? I didn't think it did.

Failing that, you can't go wrong with a Phottix Cleon from ebay. Just under 30 quid, gets you the wired remote with a wireless too. Nifty piece of kit. I keep meaning to write a review on mine, but you know me :confused:

I have a Phottix radio one for the D300Its been excellent no problems about £18.00 inc delivery, you can get a Canon one also like this

Has the 5D got an IR receiver? I didn't think it did.

I really have no idea, the WE site says compatible with 300. 400. and 450

If the entry levels have got it, i sort of took it for granted that the higher spec would have it and it was missed off the spec

Nope, well the 20, 30 and (I think) the 40 doesnt.

Brian, maybe it doesn't want to take a picture of your face?:shrug::shrug:

Nope, well the 20, 30 and (I think) the 40 doesnt.

The 40D does not have a IR reciever, which is a dam shame. It was bloody handy on my 400D.

Now have one of those Phottix Cleon things. Works fine as both wired and wireless. My only problem is my connector into the camera body, does not seat firmly. So a strip of insulation tape does the trick.

My Phottix now stopps my screen and some other functions working on my 40D, which is erm....not very usefull to say the least :(

filling me with confidence here guys ..... Not!!!!!

Tape and loss of function is not good :nono:

I've found the Canon RC-1 to be quite rubbish, it is hit and miss, I have a 400d and from the reviews I wish I'd bought a generic remote as the range seems better!

I had (still have) an RC-1 which I used on my 350D. It always worked very well and never let me down. I just wish that:

a) The IR receiver was on the back so I could use the camera in the garden

b) They put one on the 40D !!

Steve

Does anyone use the Canon RC-1 infra red remote shutter release?

I've been trying a few self portraits but my wired remote isn't giving enough distance.

If i use the self timer i'm finding the camera exposes and focuses before i'm in the shot which is rather stupid really ....(come on canon make the camera do the maths just before the shutter fires)

The Ir remote seems ideal, but at sub £20 i'm unsure of the quality and reliability.

Thoughts ?

check out thread, if you have a 300, 350, 400 and 450D the RC-1 is suppose to work with theses camera, other wise you into a using Canon Remote Switch RS-80N3 it has a 80cm cord and I think you can get a cord extension as well, I've had not problems with it

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=65081

Peter

I already have a wired one, what I lack is the ability to trip the shutter away from the camera. :)

I want to get away from the camera a bit more.

If I have to go wired then so be it, but the idea of an Ir or a radio trigger is a much better prospect as there's no storage issues and no potential cloning of the cable.

Back