Canon Service

Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all

My 5D is front focusing significantly in AI Servo mode - it is about 3 months old.

Canon have suggested it needs to be returned but the online service centre locator gives two addresses, 66 or 80 miles from me! And local Canon shop wants £30 to handle it.

Surely there must be another option!

Cheers
James.

Evening all

My 5D is front focusing significantly in AI Servo mode - it is about 3 months old.

Canon have suggested it needs to be returned but the online service centre locator gives two addresses, 66 or 80 miles from me! And local Canon shop wants £30 to handle it.

Surely there must be another option!

Cheers
James.

If its the same shop that sold you it I would now be making very loud noises, if its a UK camera and you bought it elsewhere but wish them to handle the warranty claim then I kind of understand them although not sure of the legal position, consumer rights / warranty etc

That's what I thought. It came from Jesspos so I guess I give them a ring in the morning.

Evening all
....it is about 3 months old....

James.

James,

Take it back to Jessops and demand an immediate replacement, IIRC you are entitled to one for such a short time in use. I mayh be wrong, but it's worth a try.

If they flatly refuse, request a full refund and wait for the Mk II ;)

Pearce,

Comes under the "Sale of Goods Act 1979 and Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994 and Sale of Goods (AMENDMENT) ACT 1995" not fit for purpose! and a breach of contract. You are entitled to a replacement/or money back end of!

Now I know it's hard to get this in reality at a lot of these big stores now. Procedure for going forward with this - and for anything that you buy of this nature (e.g. Home Appliances, Game Consoles, TV's etc) incidently is this:-

1. Contact the store in the first instance - If no Joy
2. Phone Trading Standards - Lodge a formal complaint and register your dis-satisfaction and get a case number
3. Then write to Head office (Jessops)

When you write, make sure you say you are REJECTING the goods and this is quoted in your letter:-

Sale of Goods Act 1979 (c. 54)
PART 5A ADDITIONAL RIGHTS OF BUYER IN CONSUMER CASES

Repair or replacement of the goods
  (1) If section 48A above applies, the buyer may require the seller—
(a) to repair the goods, or
(b) to replace the goods.

(2) If the buyer requires the seller to repair or replace the goods, the seller must—
(a) repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience to the buyer;
(b) bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage).

Most of the time this will be satisfactory for them to back down. If not go back to Trading Standards and tell them what you have done and they will probably take it up with them direct.

Bottom line is if they do not repair or replace (And YOU the consumer have the choice on what you request e.g. Repair or Replacement), they are breaking the law.

In all honesty I had a problem with my 450D also bought from a Jessops, they didn't want to replace it, but they did. I didn't have to resort to the above but its nice to know.

Good Luck!

Oh and for the record if it was me, given that I hadn't had that long (three months) I would insist on a replacement.

If you call Canon support direct they should provide you with a postage label, at least they used to do this.

Many thanks for all the info (y)

Actually I am vaguely aware of the Sale of Goods Act, but I thought you could only insist on a replacement if within a month of purchase? Probably wrong!

Also I think it all just needs calibration but the thought of being without it for nearly a month does not appeal. Do you know for sure about the Act?

Repair or replacement is a request, the trader can refuse one for the other if they feel it is "disproportionate in comparison to the other remedies". I would suspect that is exactly what would happen in this case although you can always ask. If the repair doesn't take a reasonable time then it might be possible to get a refund but probably at a reduced level.

A refund is no longer an option as it would be considered that you accepted the goods after having them for a reasonable time - it would be hard to convince a reasonable person that 3 months isn't long enough to test the AF of a new camera.

Ultimately the quickest solution is to send the camera to Canon for repair, any legal route would take a lot longer.

....A refund is no longer an option as it would be considered that you accepted the goods after having them for a reasonable time - it would be hard to convince a reasonable person that 3 months isn't long enough to test the AF of a new camera.

Hmmm, I'm not sure that statement is correct. It may be true if someone just changed their mind and wanted to return the item as unsuitable. In this case though, the item is not operating correctly after only a short period of use and is therefore faulty. JMHO

Many thanks for all the info (y)

Actually I am vaguely aware of the Sale of Goods Act, but I thought you could only insist on a replacement if within a month of purchase? Probably wrong!

Also I think it all just needs calibration but the thought of being without it for nearly a month does not appeal. Do you know for sure about the Act?

Pearce,

Yes I am sure - I recently had the same issue with a Games Console and Toys 'r' Us! and went through the route I described. Initially they refused to replace, then after my letter I had a call from the store manager (Like the next day) asking me to come down and retrieve my replacement. ;) I had, had the console for nearly 6 Months!

The important part of the act is in bold:-

e.g. If you "Require" a replacement, and obviously following on from that section 2), the important word is "OR" in that Sentence, and MUST in the same sentence! :rules:

Trading Standards could confirm. As for your statement regarding a month from repair, and I'll bet most people do not know this you actually have a right on most goods for up to 6 years from purchase in this act. Though of course the longer you have something the less likely you are to be able to make a claim. PLUS it depends on the goods itself, and how long they would be reasonably expected to last!

Again, I wish you every success on getting your kit sorted. I have to say again Jessops are normally fairly reasonable.

As a last note, people that keep referring you to Canon are incorrect IMHO. Thats because your Bean would always have to be with the place you purchased the goods from. NOT the manufacturer as a lot of shops will try and weedle out of their responsibility by telling you.

Nuff said (y)

Evening all

James.

I am presuming here that this fault occurs with all lenses? Thus eliminating a lens problem and singling out the body for adjustment.

Hmmm, I'm not sure that statement is correct. It may be true if someone just changed their mind and wanted to return the item as unsuitable. In this case though, the item is not operating correctly after only a short period of use and is therefore faulty. JMHO

Changing your mind doesn't entitle you to a refund for a shop purchase, Distant Selling Regs do give you seven days.
http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/calitem.cgi?file=ADV0043-1011.txt

1) A full refund.

This remedy is available when the goods have not been ‘accepted’. Under the Sale of Goods Act, acceptance can take place in three ways:

By telling the retailer that you have accepted them.

By acting in a way with the goods which is inconsistent with the seller’s ownership. E.g. if you have altered the goods in any way or customised them then you would be deemed to have accepted them.

By keeping them for longer than a reasonable time without telling the seller that you have rejected them. There is no time specified in the Act and it may vary according to the type of goods. Ultimately, it may be for the judge to decide whether an unreasonable time has passed and whether goods have been accepted. For this reason you must contact the supplier, preferably in writing, as soon as the fault appears. To delay may mean you lose a right to a refund

The important part of the act is in bold:-

Trading Standards could confirm.

Indeed, also from the page linked above:
3) Repair or replacement

The trader can refuse to agree to either of these remedies if it is disproportionate in comparison to the other remedies. For example, if you ask a trader to replace a washing machine then he would be entitled to turn down your request and offer a repair instead.

Back