Canon Shutter Count Reset?

Edit My Images
No
Hello,

I'm on the hunt for a used Canon EOS 6D M II. One of the local vendors indicated that the shutter count on this camera can be reset and thus is unreliable.

Is this true?

Thank you,

Art

Not something I’ve ever heard of and even if it is I doubt that any normal person would know how or would even want to.

I’d also put money on all canon cameras running the same base firmware so why would only this particular camera be an issue?

As mentioned above, canon may be able to reset it if the shutter is ever replaced.

I'd be guessing and say wiping and reinstalling the firmware might do it (dont know how it's stored) but I supect thats beyond a DIY job. Canon can probably do it, but not sure if they do when a shutter is replaced.

OK, thanks folks. I guess the guy I was speaking with was just a knucklehead.

The shutter count will be stored in the camera's firmware / memory, so someone clever enough could probably edit it.
I've found a number of pieces of software which claim to be able to edit the shutter count - but fee to use it ranges from $ 30 for 5 days use to $ 750 per year. I'm not going to post links - but it didn't take long to find, and there was software to do same for Nikon as well. Could also be a scam / virus infected malware which you then have to spend more money to unlock the ransom demand.

I'm sure that official Canon tech's have the ability to do so as well.

Last edited:
It’s a camera not a used car .. high shutter count usually shows in general wear and tear … and in this day and age of electronic shutters or a shutter life expectancy of half a million or more is it worth worrying

When I sent my 1d3 in for a new shutter it came back reset but I very much doubt you can do it yourself. You can reset the filename to zero but not the internal counter. You could do that on a 5d2 and the filename would show zero.

Back