Canon's new EOS 1000D Entry Level SLR

It could just be a move to keep Sony out of the entry level market. The A200, A300 and A350 are all aimed at the entry level market. Combine that with a strong advertising campaign and you may see a few percentage points being taken off Canon and Nikon in this market.

Mmmmm...its no trick as the Canon UK lists them on the website, under "whats new".

Seems to me that the entry level market is becomining the football equivalent of an over crowded midfield and is getting stiffled a little. There must be a reason for this latest release. My guess as has been mentioned by many is that they're trying what the banks do; recruit them to their bank as early as possible, thinking that they're more likely to stay in the same camp.

looks like it is a replacement to the 400d. no mention of the 400d on the europe website.

Just seen this.

I think it's a good idea from their POV. Although, if they RRP'd it at 350 quid it would make more sense - the current RRP isn't THAT distinct from the 450D and if there is one thing photographers are good at it's wanting their camera to do more and do it more efficiently (which would make the 450D a viable and sensible entry-level camera, even with the introduction of the 1000D).

But the more people they hook with good value entry level DSLRs, the more people will end up buying 60Ds in the future!

And the more people shooting with an SLR the better as far as I'm concerned, it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Back