Car-Jacking Warning

lee

Edit My Images
Yes
(Dont know how true this is but received this as an email and thought best to share just in case. Admin, if you become aware that this is just a spoof please remove thread)

ALL CAR OWNERS AND CAR DRIVERS PLEASE READ Warning!!!!

Be aware of new car-jacking scheme.

You walk across the car park, unlock your car and get inside. Then you lock all your doors, start the engine and shift or put into reverse.

You look into the rear-view mirror to back out of your parking space and you notice a piece of paper stuck to the middle of the rear window.

So, you shift the gear stick back into park or neutral, unlock your doors and jump out of your car to remove that paper or whatever it is

that is obstructing your view.

When you reach the back of your car that is when the car-jackers appear out of nowhere, jump into your car and take off!!

Your engine was running, you would have left your purse in the car and they practically mow you down as they speed off in your car.

BE AWARE OF THIS NEW SCHEME THAT IS NOW BEING USED IN LONDON/MANCHESTER MAKING ITS WAY ACROSS THE COUNTRY!!!!!!!!

Just drive away and remove the paper later! It is stuck to your window and be thankful that you read this email.

I hope you will forward this to friends and family especially to women! A purse contains all identification, and you certainly do NOT

want someone getting your home address. They already HAVE your keys!!!

JUST BE AWARE AND TAKE CARE IT WILL PROBABLY SOON ARRIVE IN YOUR AREA

Brian Molloy

Detective Constable

Force Intelligence Bureau

Strathclyde Police

0141 532 5867

I emailed Starthclyde police. I'll let you know if they get back to me.

Its a chain letter and untrue IIRC. Goes round every year with different places on it.

I do hate chain letters and wouldn't normally post, but wasn't sure, and thought best to be safe than sorry

It sounds plausible.

It, or similar does happen ... TRUE ... ;)

So ... chain letter or not ... it serves as a timely reminder to us all that there is always someone that will covet whatever we have got ... so thank you Lee ... :D

And as photographers most of us will ... at some point have many pounds worth of equipment in the car as well ... :eek:

Don't lose it ... heed the warning and be particularly careful at this dark and miserable time of year ... (y)

Get into your car ... and before you do anything else ... lock it ... :cautious:

There is a moral ... better safe than sorry ... always ... ;)

:p

Just one point. If you are having to back out of your space then that means you will have to have walked past the backwindow to get to the door. Wouldn't you notice anything on there?

(I always reverse into spaces in car parks - so dont know for sure)

Regardless of whether the email is "genuine" of not there will always be people out there who will do whatever is necessary to steal your car - security on most cars (but especially Prestige marques like Mercedes BMW etc) is so good now that you need the key to steal it - therefore scams like the one mentioned might be used to get you out of your car whilst leaving the key in the ignition - another favourite scam is to block the victims driveway with a bin or something so that again they get out (leaving the car running) whilst removing the obstruction - garage forecourts are another favourite - believe it or not but some (stupid) people go into the garage to pay for petrol & leave their car open or even with the keys in! (a 500 Mercedes worth 150K was taken in our area like this a couple of years ago! The chauffeur rang the car's phone & told the thief who the car belonged to & it was dumped rather rapidly!) - garages are a popular place for laptops to be taken so if you have yours (or your photo gear) in your car make sure you lock the car before going in to pay ... HTH ... Paul ;)

Saw this years ago - was for the London area then if memory serves me correct.

Obviously still take care hoax or not (y)

Thing is, hoax or not the scum bags pick up on it......they use the net too :(

So, you'll get out of the car feeling safe in the knowledge that it's just an innocent flyer stuck under your back wiper and bingo.......you've fallen victim.

Stay safe people (y)

I got a reply to my email from Detective Brian Molloy!

Thank you for bringing this e-mail to my attention.

PLEASE DELETE THE E-MAIL.

CONTACT THE PERSON WHO SENT YOU THE E-MAIL AND ASK THEM TO DELETE THE E-MAIL.

REQUEST THAT THEY CONTACT OTHERS TO WHOM THEY SENT E-MAIL TO ALSO DELETE.

Well, hoax or not, it is not far from the truth.
A friend of ours got out of his BMW at a petrol station to get something out of the boot, left the keys in while he was looking in the boot, and they jumped in and drove away. he never got it back. :thumbsdown:

When I was a community midwife, the police advised us to always check windscreens back and front for notes BEFORE getting into the car. Always look into the back of the car through the windows again BEFORE you get in (in case someone hiding inside, waiting for you) and NEVER get out again without taking the keys out first and shutting/locking doors. It takes a few mins extra, but could be extremely valuable time spent.

As already mentioned. Car theives will try any trick in the book to steel a car and even if this is just chain mail, it is still an easier way than trying to break in and by pass an immobiliser. They will look for any tell tale signs for stuff they want. Sat Nav cradles on view means they will break in on the chance that the sat nav is in the glove box. They'll even try their luck if they see the sucker marks on the windscreen. Two cars across the road from me had their passenger windows smashed last night and their stereos stolen. My car and one other parked between them. Luckily I'd removed the security panel on my stereo so they left mine.
A mate of mine at work had advertised his car for sale. Two blokes turned up looked over the car and he took them for a test drive. Then the one in the front seat asked if he could drive. My mate climbed out to walk round to passenger side the bloke leaned across pulled the door shut and hit the internal lock locking all the doors slid into the drivers seat and drove off with his car.
Never under estimate a thief. If something looks easy they won't think twice. One of the cars broken into last night had all it's wheels stolen last year. It happened in daylight between 6 and 7 in the evening, with people on their way home from work and buses and cars driving past.
Never leave anything on view in your car, some people have taken to leaving their glove boxes open and empty so the theives can see there is nothing there to steel. Much in the same way as trucks parked overnight in lay- byes will leave their back doors wide open so theives will see they are empty.

that "real hustle" on bbc three highlighted some interesting stuff abouyt nicking cars.

they jacked someones car in a "secure parking" lot in london by claiming to be the attendent when he nipped off for a break, they took the keys to park up the car as the owner left the car, then drove off before the attendant returned...

car theives know which cars have sat nav units in them because of cradles and sucker marks as nila mentions, they also know that a large amount of people put there house in these sat nav units as "home" a quick rustle around the cars glove box and pockets found the sat nav unit and straight away they had the owners car, home address and keys....

Never leave anything on view in your car, some people have taken to leaving their glove boxes open and empty so the theives can see there is nothing there to steel. Much in the same way as trucks parked overnight in lay- byes will leave their back doors wide open so theives will see they are empty.

last year i parked my mums car (i was between cars so had borrowed her beaten up P reg rover 100 to a gig in the manc appolo) in a sidestreet (**** paying £5 toi park in a NCP car park) next to two other cars, i left the car open on purpose and my mates thought i was crazy. returned to the car after a cracking gig to find my car was untouched and the other 2 cars both had smashed windows!

Back