Car rig setup?

Edit My Images
No
Has anyone got a car rig setup? I am keen to take some "in motion" exterior pictures of my/other cars.

If so did you make it yourself? or buy it from somewhere?

Cheers

Lee.

I have just ordered mine, waiting for delivery.

I ordered the separate components and will make it up myself.

2x suction cups - manfrotto
3x super clamps - manfrotto
1x ball head
2x 1.5m poles
1x sigma 10-20mm
3x 77mm Hoya ND filters

I have just ordered mine, waiting for delivery.

I ordered the separate components and will make it up myself.

2x suction cups - manfrotto
3x super clamps - manfrotto
1x ball head
2x 1.5m poles
1x sigma 10-20mm
3x 77mm Hoya ND filters

I already have the sigma 10-20, filters and poles just need to get the suction cups, clamps and ball head.

Could you keep me/others updated on your build?

Cheers

Lee.

I already have the sigma 10-20, filters and poles just need to get the suction cups, clamps and ball head.

Could you keep me/others updated on your build?

Cheers

Lee.

yep that's pretty much the setup I have. Avenger F1000 (i think) cups.

they have the spigots that the superclamps just drop on to and then you can bung your poles on to that.

depending on your ball head you might need a threaded-spigot to attach to a superclamp and screw the ballhead on to.

With the sigma 10-20 you should be ok with 10 ft of pole, that'll cover most of your shot requirements. I'd recommend buying ribbed aluminium pole if you can source it as it's much stiffer. Although even with a slightly flexing pole you can very usable shots, you just have to go slower and hold the shutter for longer which sound counter-intuitive but works well.

Have fun.

ads

Where did you get the ribbed pole from and did you use a magic arm as well?

I'm planning on using a 400d and 10-22 lens as it's the lightest combination. :D

Where did you get the ribbed pole from and did you use a magic arm as well?

I'm planning on using a 400d and 10-22 lens as it's the lightest combination. :D

actually you've reminded me... best go order a magic arm. I keep meaning to buy one but I rarely do the rolling shots to justify getting one entirely if I'm honest

The ribs are internal by the way, it can usually be ordered in from a good local metal company, you might need to insert a smaller diameter pole to act as a flange so that two poles can connect. It sounds a hassle but it's majorly worth it in terms of the quality of the pics you return.

yeah it's best to remove as much weight as possible so that the oscillations aren't as pronounced. Have fun,

Ads

expensive and don't offer a huge amount of reach sadly.

these are the puppies you need...

http://www.karlu.com/product_info.php?cPath=41_42_698&products_id=9440

superclamps are around £17 if I remember correctly.

2 x F1000 = £100
3 x superclamps = £42
1 x magic arm = £76

That's £238 without pole...

How do you get around the height adjust on the f1000/superclamp combo/
On the hague solution it has posts on the suction clamps allowing the height adjustment for if you mount on the roof/boot etc. Do you think that's needed/desirable fro additional angles ?

2 x F1000 = £100
3 x superclamps = £42
1 x magic arm = £76

That's £238 without pole...

How do you get around the height adjust on the f1000/superclamp combo/
On the hague solution it has posts on the suction clamps allowing the height adjustment for if you mount on the roof/boot etc. Do you think that's needed/desirable fro additional angles ?

I would hold off the magic arm dude, unless you're happy to fork out that much at once :) As said, I don't have a magic arm but it's never hindered me to the point where I've been unable to photograph anything. It's a nice addition, just not a necessary one.

The height adjust can be done through good placement of the cups and position of spigots, the spigot on the cups can be moved semi-hemispherically (?), basically if you have the cup on a flat surface you can have the spigot pointing vertically, pointing horizontally away/towards you, or to the left and right, AND any position in between.

Soooo, with that in mind say you wanted to be a touch higher with you camera. you have the spigot laid flat on the cup furthest away and the spigot vertical on the closest cup, which give rise to a fairly broad range of shooting points, just from that single cup combination.

Ads :D

simple ball head will do the trick, instead of the magic arm to see how things go in the beginning

I would hold off the magic arm dude, unless you're happy to fork out that much at once :) As said, I don't have a magic arm but it's never hindered me to the point where I've been unable to photograph anything. It's a nice addition, just not a necessary one.

The height adjust can be done through good placement of the cups and position of spigots, the spigot on the cups can be moved semi-hemispherically (?), basically if you have the cup on a flat surface you can have the spigot pointing vertically, pointing horizontally away/towards you, or to the left and right, AND any position in between.

Soooo, with that in mind say you wanted to be a touch higher with you camera. you have the spigot laid flat on the cup furthest away and the spigot vertical on the closest cup, which give rise to a fairly broad range of shooting points, just from that single cup combination.

Ads :D

Cool - cheers

Back